PDA

View Full Version : Free Speech?

AlmostThere
06-11-2008, 01:53 AM
With the multitude of problem we face I'm so glad the cops in Columbia, SC have their priorities straight. We can't let this go. Anarchy will reign. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365461,00.html

Ranger Rick
06-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Fort Mill Principal Dee Christopher says school officials don't ask that offenders be arrested but that he plans to keep a police presence at future graduation ceremonies.

What do you think a "police presence" means?

Gingersnap
06-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't think this is really a free speech issue. Graduations have gotten increasingly loud and rough over the past 15 years in a lot of places. These events are timed and if loud cheering holds up the announcement of the next kid's name, it drags the whole thing way over time. Then too, the raucous cheering is only for some people, not all people and it probably underscores a lot of soon-to-be useless high school popularity wars.

Quiet graduations may be boring but they over much, much sooner.

noonwitch
06-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't think this is really a free speech issue. Graduations have gotten increasingly loud and rough over the past 15 years in a lot of places. These events are timed and if loud cheering holds up the announcement of the next kid's name, it drags the whole thing way over time. Then too, the raucous cheering is only for some people, not all people and it probably underscores a lot of soon-to-be useless high school popularity wars.

Quiet graduations may be boring but they over much, much sooner.

My high school class had 7 validictorians and one salutatorian. All 7 had 4.0 gpas, and all 7 got to give speeches. They had a time limit, but it still went on forever, considering there were 420+ students in the class and with that many people- faculty, family, the band, and so on, the a/c wasn't working real great, either.

Molon Labe
06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Disorderly conduct tends to be one of those vague terms that is often times more an excuse for the Police to take action when they don't really have a real crime statute to pin on someone.

linda22003
06-11-2008, 03:09 PM
My high school class had 7 validictorians and one salutatorian. All 7 had 4.0 gpas, and all 7 got to give speeches. They had a time limit, but it still went on forever

Count your blessings. At my school, most of them were done in Latin.

CLibertarian
06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
And to think that I considered relocating to Columbia, SC after graduating college.