PDA

View Full Version : Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay

Rockntractor
12-12-2012, 12:04 AM
By Jason Koebler
Scientists may have finally solved the puzzle of what makes a person gay, and how it is passed from parents to their children.

A group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuals get that trait from their opposite-sex parents: A lesbian will almost always get the trait from her father, while a gay man will get the trait from his mother.

The hereditary link of homosexuality has long been established, but scientists knew it was not a strictly genetic link, because there are many pairs of identical twins who have differing sexualities. Scientists from the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis say homosexuality seems to have an epigenetic, not a genetic link.

Long thought to have some sort of hereditary link, a group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuality is linked to epi-marks extra layers of information that control how certain genes are expressed. These epi-marks are usually, but not always, "erased" between generations. In homosexuals, these epi-marks aren't erased they're passed from father-to-daughter or mother-to-son, explains William Rice, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California Santa Barbara and lead author of the study.
Read More>http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/12/11/scientists-may-have-finally-unlocked-puzzle-of-why-people-are-gay

Hawkgirl
12-12-2012, 01:18 AM
But you have the lipstick lesbians (not the butches) who don't act manly. You also have the manly gays who I believe they are referred to as the "tops" who don't act feminine.

Nova will be chiming in soon enough.

noonwitch
12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
But you have the lipstick lesbians (not the butches) who don't act manly. You also have the manly gays who I believe they are referred to as the "tops" who don't act feminine.

I thought "tops" was more of a BDSM term. I thought masculine gay men were called "bears".

Hawkgirl
12-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I thought "tops" was more of a BDSM term. I thought masculine gay men were called "bears".

BDSM terms are Dom/sub.

You could be right about the Bears, though I've never heard that term.

Novaheart
12-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Nova finds this discussion rather tedious. Anyone who has known identical twins knows that they aren't identical. Clearly there is more to genetics than dots and dashes.

marv
12-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't know about this whole thing.

Some years ago, the theory was that is was the thickness of the nerve cluster that connects the two halves of the brain. The cluster in men is thicker than in women. In male homosexuals, autopsies supposedly showed the thin cluster more consistent with women. Thus, it was determined that genetics was the base.

Now another theory has come up, and it still has a connection to genetics; at least with respect to epi-marks.

Here's another skeptic: http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/sounds-simplistic-by-tristero.html
"These epi-marks protect fathers and mothers from excess or underexposure to testosterone when they carry over to opposite-sex offspring, it can cause the masculinization of females or the feminization of males," Rice says, which can lead to a child becoming gay. Rice notes that these markers are "highly variable" and that only strong epi-marks will result in a homosexual offspring.

I'm not buying this masculinization of females/feminizing of males stuff. I know far too many people of all genders and all sexual orientations who don't fit the stereotypes.

Not saying that there isn't a heritable component to sexual preference and gender identity, just saying that the way this is reported sounds way too schematic to be believable.

Also, the reporter, if not the researchers, thoroughly confuse gender identity (male/female) with sexual preference (choice of gender in a sexual partner). The two are not necessarily paired together. Furthermore, both male/female gender identity and gay/straight preferences are false dichotomies: both are continuums. Both identity and preference can be quite fluid.

Try again.

This, like so many other scientific theories yet to be proved should be moved from the "...finally..." to the "...maybe..." category.

Just sayin'........

Rockntractor
12-12-2012, 10:58 AM
It could be a stupid gene that causes the homosexuality, but in half the population it only turns into liberalism, Nova hit the lotto on stupid genes.

Novaheart
12-12-2012, 11:28 AM
It could be a stupid gene that causes the homosexuality, but in half the population it only turns into liberalism, Nova hit the lotto on stupid genes.

You were the one who thought the laser would blow up the moon.

Novaheart
12-12-2012, 11:30 AM
BDSM terms are Dom/sub.

You could be right about the Bears, though I've never heard that term.

Bear can mean a robust and hirsute man, or it can mean a fat guy who isn't planning on taking up rabbit food and pilates.

Starbuck
12-12-2012, 11:35 AM

And it would have if the Klingons hadn't had their spy set it to "Stun" while we weren't looking. Now we gotta start all over with a new batch of dilithium crystals, and then LOOK OUT MOON!:biggrin-new:

Rockntractor
12-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Hey, who knew?http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/expressifs/pensif/vertsennuie.gif

noonwitch
12-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Seriously, anyone who has worked in my field can tell you that sexual orientation is not a strictly biological thing. Too many adults who are gay were sexually abused as children to rule that out as a factor. My brother's first marriage ended when his ex wife decided she was gay. She had only dated men prior to that, but she was around 21 when they got married, and she had a history of being sexually abused by a much older brother when she was a child. I've worked with kids, boys in particular, who grew up to be gay, and pretty much every one of them has a horrible tale to tell from their childhoods-not that that is a sample of the general population.

Then again, I have a friend who is young, from a stable family, was never sexually abused in his childhood, yet he is gay. He never was attracted to girls, except as friends, even as a kid. He also has a really stable relationship record, with a few college boyfriends and a long-term commitment as an adult.

Human sexuality is a complicated thing, compared to the instinct-driven mating habits of other mammals.

Odysseus
12-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I just assumed that they were sucked into it. :evil-grin:

Generation Why?
12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
You're all a little weird. I am surprised you guys know so much about gay and BDSM terms...

Unreconstructed Reb
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Bible says two men ought not to lay together!

noonwitch
12-13-2012, 10:28 AM
You're all a little weird. I am surprised you guys know so much about gay and BDSM terms...

I read a lot of Anne Rice books in the 80s and 90s.

m00
12-13-2012, 10:35 AM

Just the fat, hairy "leather daddies"

m00
12-13-2012, 10:36 AM

I lived in Seattle for a couple of years (Capitol Hill). Everyone there is gay.

Generation Why?
12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
I lived in Seattle for a couple of years (Capitol Hill). Everyone there is gay.

It's not too bad. Heading over to Elysian on Saturday for a going away drinking fest

Generation Why?
12-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Bible says two men ought not to lay together!

And?

m00
12-13-2012, 03:11 PM
It's not too bad. Heading over to Elysian on Saturday for a going away drinking fest

When I was there, I dated a bi-curious lesbian for a number of years.

Generation Why?
12-13-2012, 03:21 PM
When I was there, I dated a bi-curious lesbian for a number of years.

Never a dull moment in the Emerald City

m00
12-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Never a dull moment in the Emerald City

I hear Portland is becoming the new Seattle.

Generation Why?
12-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I hear Portland is becoming the new Seattle.

I don't venture down to there. Just my usual Friday night Karaoke at Thunderbird in Tacoma

FlaGator
12-13-2012, 03:29 PM
I read a lot of Anne Rice books in the 80s and 90s.

That is were I picked up the lingo.

m00
12-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't venture down to there. Just my usual Friday night Karaoke at Thunderbird in Tacoma

Does Tacoma still smell like burning tires? We used to say "the aroma of Tacoma"

Janice
12-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Does Tacoma still smell like burning tires? We used to say "the aroma of Tacoma"

I thought that was because of Bremerton ...

Generation Why?
12-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Eh, it's not too bad these days. Still a bit of a shithole.

Unreconstructed Reb
12-13-2012, 07:30 PM
And?

http://bestin.ua/static/uploads/DR/04_08/Sling-Blade.jpg

Bible says two men ought not lay together!

You reckon you can make me some biscuits?

Generation Why?
12-14-2012, 02:38 PM
http://bestin.ua/static/uploads/DR/04_08/Sling-Blade.jpg

Bible says two men ought not lay together!

You reckon you can make me some biscuits?

Well I could make some but I prefer honey to honey mustard. And I know what the bible says. My question still stands.

Unreconstructed Reb
12-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Well I could make some but I prefer honey to honey mustard. And I know what the bible says. My question still stands.

You're just not getting it, are you? The pic didn't even help.

Oh well, I'll answer your question by saying, "Bible says two men ought not lay together!"