PDA

View Full Version : What's on the menu for Christmas?

Hawkgirl
12-21-2012, 07:46 PM
My mom's holiday is Christmas Eve and she does a traditional Italian seafood feast with all sort of different fish dishes.

My holiday is Christmas Day and I have decided on my menu.

Baked Ziti
Crown Roast of Pork
Baked potatoes in the oven that I slice in wedges with evoo, onions and breadcrumbs and rosemary for seasoning
Baked yams
Broccoli rabe sauteed in evoo and onions
Tomato and fennel salad

My guests will bring desserts, but I did make Hello Dollies yesterday as well.:cool:

Hawkgirl
12-21-2012, 07:54 PM
BTW, I never made a crown roast before but I have made all sorts of roasts in the past and I hear this one is very juicy. I'm not stuffing it as I've read it tends to overcook the meat while you're trying to get the stuffing hot.

I'm going to season the roast with rosemary, thyme, s & p, and olive oil. I also think I will roast on a bed of granny smith apples and onions as I think that will make a nice base for the gravy....and apples and pork go well together.

I think I will begin cooking it at 450 for 15-20 minutes and then cook it at 350degrees for the remainder.

If anyone has roasted these before, please chime in with any suggestions.

marv
12-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Ham and Galliano. The standing rib roast (rare) with Galliano is for New Years Day. :evil-grin:

Then many, many creative left overs in the days and weeks to come.

patriot45
12-21-2012, 08:42 PM
BTW, I never made a crown roast before but I have made all sorts of roasts in the past and I hear this one is very juicy. I'm not stuffing it as I've read it tends to overcook the meat while you're trying to get the stuffing hot.

I'm going to season the roast with rosemary, thyme, s & p, and olive oil. I also think I will roast on a bed of granny smith apples and onions as I think that will make a nice base for the gravy....and apples and pork go well together.

I think I will begin cooking it at 450 for 15-20 minutes and then cook it at 350degrees for the remainder.

If anyone has roasted these before, please chime in with any suggestions.

The only thing I can think of would be to wrap tinfoil around the exposed bones to keep them from burning. But that meal sounds delishous and I can smell it!!:cool:

ReinMan
12-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Can't make it to join the family this year, so I'm pot-lucking with some others in the same situation.

My contribution will be cornbread stuffing with apples and sausage...

SaintLouieWoman
12-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Can't make it to join the family this year, so I'm pot-lucking with some others in the same situation.

My contribution will be cornbread stuffing with apples and sausage...

That stuffing sounds good. We're invited to a family gathering here. 2 years ago we were treated to Stove top stuffing, packaged mashed potatoes, and Pepperidge Farm triangle things from the package. Not too yum. Not looking forward to the dinner, but maybe this year it will be better. At least I'm bringing the mashed potatoes, real ones not reconstituted junk.

Christmas Eve we're having friends over who don't have family here, so making this our family dinner. We're having spiral sliced ham, macaroni and cheese brought by our friend, "Merry Cherry" trifle as dessert. I'm also going to make fresh green beans sauteed in a bit of EVO and red onions and garlic.

JB
12-22-2012, 08:48 PM
My mom's holiday is Christmas Eve and she does a traditional Italian seafood feast with all sort of different fish dishes.Feast of the Seven Fishes. Do you have smelts? Do you eat them?

Hawkgirl
12-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Feast of the Seven Fishes. Do you have smelts? Do you eat them?

I don't think my mom is making them this year. I personally don't eat them. I can't eat anything with eyes.

Rockntractor
12-23-2012, 12:20 AM
I don't think my mom is making them this year. I personally don't eat them. I can't eat anything with eyes.

Do you eat potatoes?

Hawkgirl
12-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Do you eat potatoes?

I should have said eyes intact.

I peel my potatoes, so no eyes.

JB
12-23-2012, 07:07 PM
I personally don't eat them.I never ate those nasty things either.

Odysseus
12-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Mrs. O is doing a traditional British dinner. Roast beef, Yorkshire Pudding, mashed potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, parsnips, Brussels sprouts and lots of gravy.

Rockntractor
12-24-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm going into town to bring a duck back, we'll be snowed in tomorrow.

hampshirebrit
12-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Mrs. O is doing a traditional British dinner. Roast beef, Yorkshire Pudding, mashed potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, parsnips, Brussels sprouts and lots of gravy.

Harrumph ... should be turkey if it's trad- brit. :cool:

That said, it's "little turkey" (chicken) for famille Hamps tomorrow ... must remember to get it out of the freezer tonight. Also, bread sauce (mine), roasted tatties and parsnips, glazed carrots and sprouts (also mine, not Aunt Bessie's), bacon rolls and stuffing (Tesco, I'm afraid).

This will not the best of Christmasses, so I'm cooking to preserve my sanity.

Rockntractor
12-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Okay I acquired a duck and a rhubarb pie, Christmas can continue despite the weather.

Artois
12-25-2012, 12:04 AM
We're at my wife's grandmothers, who's from Italy.... It's all traditional southern Italian food with stuff I've never heard of, but delicious.

Zathras
12-25-2012, 12:59 AM
We're having the usual...turkey and ham with all the trimmings....and there better be mince meat pie for dessert.