PDA

View Full Version : The fiscal cliff is nigh; Senators strike deal, House won't vote

SarasotaRepub
12-31-2012, 11:37 PM
By Matt Smith, CNN
updated 9:47 PM EST, Mon December 31, 2012

(CNN) -- Senate leaders and the White House struck a last-minute deal to avert the feared fiscal cliff (http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/08/news/economy/fiscal-cliff/index.html) Monday night, with Vice President Joe Biden headed to the Capitol Hill to pitch the plan to fellow Democrats.

"Happy New Year," Biden, who became the Democratic point man in the talks, told reporters. "Did you think we would be here New Year's Eve?"

LINKY (http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/31/politics/fiscal-cliff/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Well imagine that!!! Lord Obama saves the day!!! :rolleyes:

Lanie
01-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Obama saves the day by promising all those deadbeats a raise. Why do they deserve a raise? They can't even get their work done on time.

SarasotaRepub
01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
I hope Lord Obama is ready to explain a 1000 point drop on the DOW tomorrow. Assuming he cares, which I doubt he does.

JB
01-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Nothing but tax increases and no cuts in spending.

I give up.

Starbuck
01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
I hope Lord Obama is ready to explain a 1000 point drop on the DOW tomorrow. Assuming he cares, which I doubt he does.

This is insanity. At 7:30 PM Central, the Dow futures are up slightly, S&P 500 futures are down nearly 3%, which is huge. People are trying to get money positioned now, of all times, and I just don't get that at all. Did all those investors think that some sort of 'deal' could be struck at the last moment that would be meaningful?

Probably, everyone is going to be right. The market will go down then up, or up then down.

Zathras
01-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Nothing but tax increases and no cuts in spending.

I give up.

I gave up on November 7 2012 when The Empty Suit and Captain Gaffer were able to fool 50.3% of voting Americans to return him to office.

The Takers out number the Makers in America and will vote for whoever promises the most free stuff.

Rockntractor
01-01-2013, 10:29 PM
It is starting to look as though we have no party or no one to represent us, we'll see how this ends.

Zathras
01-02-2013, 01:17 AM
It is starting to look as though we have no party or no one to represent us, we'll see how this ends.

Being in California's 15th district I haven't had any representation in congress since 2000 with Mike Honda as my rep and Feinstein/ Boxer as my senators.

Rockntractor
01-02-2013, 01:22 AM
Being in California's 15th district I haven't had any representation in congress since 2000 with Mike Honda as my rep and Feinstein/ Boxer as my senators.

The difference is that they were voted in as democrats, now if you vote a republican in they vote with Democrats.
It's over.