View Full Version : I want...

Hawkgirl
01-29-2013, 08:30 PM
...talk me out of it.

I won't get one...I'm just dreamin'

http://i48.tinypic.com/avg7qq.jpg

Hawkgirl
01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
BTW....I look like I have a double chin in this pic. I don't have one, I think it's the angle and the way my head is turned...lol:cool:

Just wanted to put out that disclaimer..lol

Rockntractor
01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
BTW....I look like I have a double chin in this pic. I don't have one, I think it's the angle and the way my head is turned...lol:cool:

Just wanted to put out that disclaimer..lol

Wow, you really did get serious about the whole food storage thing but that's not what we meant, get a small freezer instead.http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6595.gif (http://www.desismileys.com/)

Hawkgirl
01-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow, you really did get serious about the whole food storage thing but that's not what we meant, get a small freezer instead.http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6595.gif (http://www.desismileys.com/)

HA! In case of a famine, I will survive.

Rockntractor
01-29-2013, 08:54 PM
HA! In case of a famine, I will survive.

I figure I have insurance in case of catastrophic illness or famine, I could go two three months easy.

JB
01-29-2013, 08:57 PM
People don't look if they're not going to buy.

Get him.

Rockntractor
01-29-2013, 09:09 PM
It isn't wearing the right kind of clothes for Florida.

The arson dog I have is half husky and she wouldn't sniff out propellents at arson fires when it was hot so they gave her to me, huskies are dogs best suited for up north.

Hawkgirl
01-29-2013, 09:09 PM
This puppy is a male. I think I want a female as they are little smaller. This pup had a docile demeanor, it's what I want. But he had an umbilical hernia and although it's repaired, I'm wary of buying a sick pup.
I also feel guilty buying a puppy with so many dogs that are in need of rescuing. I'm just so drawn to this arctic breed.

Talk me out of it! Dammit!

Hawkgirl
01-29-2013, 09:13 PM

I know, but so many Florida flakes have them. They are in high demand here. They shed a lot, but they don't smell like dogs. They are actually cat like, they constantly groom themselves. They also don't have dog bad breath.

They do have a high prey drive, which is why I'd need to get them at the puppy stage. They are highly active, but we have dog parks. They don't like to be alone, very pack oriented. I'm out of the house for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. They get destructive if left alone for long period of times.

BUT THOSE EYES...!!!! I love how they look wolf like, but are fun loving with an easy temperament. Not good guard dogs as they'd only serve to lick an intruder to death.

BUT THOSE EYES....!!!

Hawkgirl
01-29-2013, 09:15 PM

The arson dog I have is half husky and she wouldn't sniff out propellents at arson fires when it was hot so they gave her to me, huskies are dogs best suited for up north.

Yeah, I know.:frown-new: Makes me want to move to North Georgia, just so I can have one. My house there has land and already gated on two sides. ONE DAY.

Rockntractor
01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Not the right kind of dog for you, i disapprove, talk to SLW about setting you up with a nice greyhound.

patriot45
01-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Oh c'mon, just get a yellow lab! You can't go wrong. :friendly_wink:

Rockntractor
01-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Oh c'mon, just get a yellow lab! You can't go wrong. :friendly_wink:

Nice short hair too, I have three mixed blood labs, very loyal. Mine are black.

patriot45
01-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Nice short hair too, I have three mixed blood labs, very loyal. Mine are black.

Mine wears sunglasses. :biggrin-new:

Rockntractor
01-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Mine wears sunglasses. :biggrin-new:

Mine wear night vision goggles and can shoot.

Rockntractor
01-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Here is one she could unwrap but I don't know if there is a boy inside.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/forums/mutts-sparky-and-med-explorers-img_.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
01-29-2013, 09:46 PM
This puppy is a male. I think I want a female as they are little smaller. This pup had a docile demeanor, it's what I want. But he had an umbilical hernia and although it's repaired, I'm wary of buying a sick pup.
I also feel guilty buying a puppy with so many dogs that are in need of rescuing. I'm just so drawn to this arctic breed.

Do you have a good vacuum cleaner and love to use it----a lot? I had 2 Norwegian Elkhound in St Louis, which is considerably colder than Florida. There were rolling dust balls of hair. I had to clean a lot. The hair was everywhere, even though I brushed them outside every other day. When they blow coat, I would have a trash bag full of undercoat from just the female from brushing her.

They elkhounds, according to my vet, are more docile than the huskies and definitely more than the malemutes. I agree that I love the look of the breed, but it was all that hair that drove me to the greyhounds. After getting greys, I never looked back. It was such a relief to have dogs that didn't shed buckets full of hair in the house. I think the northern breeds do better up north. My elkie used to lay out on a chaise lounge on my patio when it snowed. She would stick her tongue out to get the snow.

Do you still have a cat? Be careful with any dog with a high prey drive. My first greyhound, Jessie, lost his first home because he tried way to hard to get the kitties. I never had cats, so he was fine with us, a sweet dog with people and with other dogs, even small ones. But he hated cats.

With any dog be sure that they're cat safe. There are many greys who are cat safe, tested with a brave volunteer kitty.

My male elkhound, Jeep, tried to kill my son's cat. He had the kitty's head in his mouth before we could stop him. He was biting down, but the brave little kitty bit Jeepers tongue and he let go. Again, Jeep was a good dog, but he obviously wasn't a cat fan. So northern breeds can have that high prey drive, too.

Our Bella doesn't have those beautiful blue eyes, but she has equally beautiful green eyes.

SarasotaRepub
01-29-2013, 10:03 PM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/12/18/greyhounds_02.jpg

Get two...:friendly_wink:

Hawkgirl
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Do you have a good vacuum cleaner and love to use it----a lot?

They elkhounds, according to my vet, are more docile than the huskies and definitely more than the malemutes. I agree that I love the look of the breed, but it was all that hair that drove me to the greyhounds. After getting greys, I never looked back. It was such a relief to have dogs that didn't shed buckets full of hair in the house. I think the northern breeds do better up north. My elkie used to lay out on a chaise lounge on my patio when it snowed. She would stick her tongue out to get the snow.

Do you still have a cat? s.

Yes, Sibes require a daily brush and probably a weekly brush overhaul. Normally, in the North, they have two heavy shed "seasons"...but in Florida, they shed year round because of the obvious.

I am installing wood floors during the second week of February, mid tone to dark tone, wood, so hair will probably show a lot.

I now have 3 cats thanks to the rescue group I help out as I can proudly wear the foster failure label now...:rolleyes:

Sibes are okay with cats if the they think they are part of the family, which can only happen if you get one as a puppy. I spoke with a Sibe rescue/breeder in Orange County Florida who said getting one at the puppy stage would be fine. He didn't recommend a rescue as he said even if the rescue was fine with cats he grew up with, he may not be fine with mine. Huskies also need a firm leader as they aren't trainable if they think you are weaker than they.

They certainly are a handful and I have read extensively about them...that's why I have doubts whether I'd be the right home for them. :apologetic:

My father has a neighbor with one who is very well behaved and I have a snowbird Canadian couple who bring their Sibes during the season in Florida...also well behaved.
They are also runners, and I am not. I could do daily walks with them but might not be enough to keep up with them.

I read about greyhounds too, supposedly great for people like me as they are also couch potatoes. But I am trying to be more active.

Hawkgirl
01-29-2013, 10:16 PM
I think the northern breeds do better up north. My elkie used to lay out on a chaise lounge on my patio when it snowed. She would stick her tongue out to get the snow.

So precious...amazing, those arctic breeds.

SaintLouieWoman
01-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Yes, Sibes require a daily brush and probably a weekly brush overhaul. Normally, in the North, they have two heavy shed "seasons"...but in Florida, they shed year round because of the obvious.

I am installing wood floors during the second week of February, mid tone to dark tone, wood, so hair will probably show a lot.

I now have 3 cats thanks to the rescue group I help out as I can proudly wear the foster failure label now...:rolleyes:

Sibes are okay with cats if the they think they are part of the family, which can only happen if you get one as a puppy. I spoke with a Sibe rescue/breeder in Orange County Florida who said getting one at the puppy stage would be fine. He didn't recommend a rescue as he said even if the rescue was fine with cats he grew up with, he may not be fine with mine. Huskies also need a firm leader as they aren't trainable if they think you are weaker than they.

They certainly are a handful and I have read extensively about them...that's why I have doubts whether I'd be the right home for them. :apologetic:

My father has a neighbor with one who is very well behaved and I have a snowbird Canadian couple who bring their Sibes during the season in Florida...also well behaved.
They are also runners, and I am not. I could do daily walks with them but might not be enough to keep up with them.

I read about greyhounds too, supposedly great for people like me as they are also couch potatoes like me. But I am trying to be more active.

Greys need daily walks. They aren't really runners, know that sounds strange, but they run on the track for a short distance, then crash for a long time after their run in the cages, after being hosed down with cool water. Greys are definitely not marathon runners.

I've posted this pic before, but this is Bella. It's hard to tell, but she doesn't have the dark brown eyes of Darlene, but as a "blue" dog she's got eyes more like a weimariner, sort of a greenish color.

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C6%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E983%3E9%3A2% 3EWSNRCG%3D3542339394339nu0mrj

SarasotaRepub
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Arctic breeds ehhh???

http://polarbearaffair.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/polar_bear_food.gif

:biggrin-new:

noonwitch
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
My norgie's shedding isn't that bad, but I live in the north. She's a very good dog, always has been since day one. She's not a full-breed, I got her at the MHS shelter.

Katie's old, but she still will run around the yard, especially if there is a stray cat to chase out of it. She's usually good with children, and really likes the little ones. She gets annoyed with them as they get older, so she identifies well with human adults, too.

As she's 14, I've been thinking about what kind of dog I will get next. I love the huskies. There was one on True Blood last year that was such a pretty puppy (the little werewolf girl's puppy self), and I kept thinking "I want that puppy". I will probably get a pup from the MHS shelter, where I got Katie.

Starbuck
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
......They shed a lot, but.................
Write that down 100 times.
That factor alone will drive you and your dog apart.

But I know how you feel. Back in the old days I used to go to strip joints and always wanted one of those, too. Learn from the mistakes of others.

Odysseus
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Write that down 100 times.
That factor alone will drive you and your dog apart.

But I know how you feel. Back in the old days I used to go to strip joints and always wanted one of those, too. Learn from the mistakes of others.

Yes, but those are a lot more fun to watch as they shed. :friendly_wink:

If you are going to get a dog, ask yourself what qualities you want, and then decide which are most important to you, and which are deal breakers, then stick to that. The husky is adorable, but most puppies are, and you have to factor in how the dog will fit in with you, your family and your home.

Is it me, or does this sound like one of the dating threads?

Hawkgirl
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
G

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C6%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E983%3E9%3A2% 3EWSNRCG%3D3542339394339nu0mrj

I haven't seen this pic. She's so beautiful!

Hawkgirl
01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Is it me, or does this sound like one of the dating threads?

Ha! No it does not, in the dating threads, I'm usually bashing the subject.