PDA

View Full Version : Letterman Continues Toddler-Style Ranting Over McCain No-Show.

Gingersnap
09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Letterman keeps up McCain tirade

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Letterman kept up his verbal assault on John McCain, commiserating with Paris Hilton and saying he felt like an "ugly date" because the GOP presidential candidate backed out of an appearance on the "Late Show."

David Letterman described Paris Hilton as John McCain's first choice for a running mate.

The late-night CBS comedian was upset Wednesday when McCain canceled an appearance to deal with the economic crisis.

After backing out of the Letterman show, McCain sat for an interview with Katie Couric, then didn't leave New York until Thursday, further angering Letterman.

At first, Letterman said, he felt like a "patriot" to let McCain off.

"Now I'm feeling like an ugly date," Letterman said. "I feel used. I feel cheap. I feel sullied."

McCain spokeswoman Nicolle Wallace said the campaign "felt this wasn't a night for comedy."

"We deeply regret offending Mr. Letterman, but our candidate's priority at this moment is to focus on this crisis," Wallace said Thursday on NBC's "Today."

Later Thursday, Letterman banged away at McCain in his opening monologue.

"You're here on a good night," he told the audience. "So far none of our guests have canceled."

He talked about daredevil David Blaine's feat of hanging upside-down in New York's Central Park for 60 hours.

"They just left the guy hanging there," he said. "It's the same thing McCain did to me last night."

He described Hilton -- Thursday's guest whose celebrity was once used in a McCain campaign ad to mock Democrat Barack Obama -- as McCain's first choice for a running mate.

"Here's how it works: You don't come to see me? You don't come to see me? Well, we might not see you on Inauguration Day," Letterman said.

I have never watched this guy or any of the other late night talkers but he's been whining about this for several days now and he looks like an idiot. Letterman is an comic - not a king-maker. Virtually anything is more important than appearing on his show. Who watches this stuff?

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/26/letterman.mccain.rant.ap/index.html)

LibraryLady
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Who watches this stuff?

DU........................

LogansPapa
09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
4.7 million viewers and five Emmys in a row - doubt he cares.:cool:

LibraryLady
09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Nightline Beats Letterman Last Week and For Q3 (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/)

Now we know why David Letterman really wanted John McCain on his show last night. ABC just announced that Nightline beat Letterman again last week and it also topped the Late Show in Total Viewers and the A25-54 demo for the third quarter.

It's the first time in nine years Nightline has outperformed CBS in the demo for the quarter. Nightline comes in second, behind the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

For the week of September 15, Nightline outperformed Letterman by 470,000 Total Viewers and by 170,000 A25-54 viewers. It was the fourth straight week Nightline has beaten Letterman.

For the third quarter, 2008:
Show Network A25-54 Total Viewers
Tonight Show NBC 1.97M 4.63M
Nightline ABC 1.41M 3.06M
Late Show CBS 1.30M 2.94M

Where do you get your "facts"?

linda22003
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Virtually anything is more important than appearing on his show. Who watches this stuff?

Don't look at me. I'm usually asleep by ten o'clock. I haven't even seen SNL since about 1988.

Gingersnap
09-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Don't look at me. I'm usually asleep by ten o'clock. I haven't even seen SNL since about 1988.

Well, me too. That's probably true for most people with jobs. I always used to think that these late shows were for retirees with insomnia.

ralph wiggum
09-26-2008, 11:32 AM
I always used to think that these late shows were for retirees with insomnia.

Or drunken college kids.

LogansPapa
09-26-2008, 11:35 AM
http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/a/images/tivo.logo.man.jpg

(cheap bastards) :rolleyes:

JB
09-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Where do you get your "facts"?The same place every lib does:

GenerateMeSomeLiesPlease.com

Eyelids
09-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Or drunken college kids.

Were too busy drinking.

LogansPapa
09-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Gee, David - STFU! You act like it's your show. What a bitch! :cool:

AmPat
09-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Letterman hasn't been funny in years. He always ran second to Carson and then Carson's replacement Leno, (another Liberal) . I don't care that these guys are Liberal. I don't even mind political humor. I don't like one-sided political "humor." Nobody hired these guys to influnce politics. Funny how the DIMS/LIBS want fairness in media. What morons. If I were a liberal (spew), I wouldn't give up the monopoly I enjoyed in the media.

Craig Ferguson however is funny to me. He is also a liberal but tends to spread the humor between Conservatives and liberals. Quite tolerable.

LogansPapa
09-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, there should be a Conservative comedian late night host then. Someone that could show us libs how a real joke is constructed……. and delivered……..oh - wait. Rush already tried that, and it turned out to be an utter disaster, run in-between infomercials by Thomas Woo and Vegimatic.

Sorry - nevermind. :(

LibraryLady
09-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't recall ever watching David Letterman. He always seemed obnoxious and creepy to me.

I stay up for Red Eye with Greg Gutfield (http://www.foxnews.com/redeye/)every night. It is the wackiest show on TV.

Eyelids
09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Letterman hasn't been funny in years. He always ran second to Carson and then Carson's replacement Leno, (another Liberal) . I don't care that these guys are Liberal. I don't even mind political humor. I don't like one-sided political "humor." Nobody hired these guys to influnce politics. Funny how the DIMS/LIBS want fairness in media. What morons. If I were a liberal (spew), I wouldn't give up the monopoly I enjoyed in the media.

Craig Ferguson however is funny to me. He is also a liberal but tends to spread the humor between Conservatives and liberals. Quite tolerable.

Does this obsession with democrats come off as unhealthy to anyone else? I mean god, have a couple drinks and just enjoy yourself for once.

LogansPapa
09-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Does this obsession with democrats come off as unhealthy to anyone else? I mean god, have a couple drinks and just enjoy yourself for once.

Oh snap! :D

Zathras
09-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Not as unhealthy as your obsession with Obaaaahma.

SaintLouieWoman
09-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't recall ever watching David Letterman. He always seemed obnoxious and creepy to me.

I stay up for Red Eye with Greg Gutfield (http://www.foxnews.com/redeye/)every night. It is the wackiest show on TV.
One of Letterman's associates, an ex-copy from NYC, was an intern on the show. He then did skits and wrote some of their newsletters. He told me that he was a Rush fan. I'm sure he's in an uncomfortable position.

He even put my mom's name in the newsletter and wished her a happy birthday. Another time he wished the Cards good luck in the Series---and used my name in the wish that went all over the country.

I no longer correspond as I told him that David had gotten so obnoxious in his Republican bashing that I could no longer watch the show. I'm one of those stubborn people with principles---I told him that 5 years ago and still won't watch Letterman,

Sonnabend
09-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Letterman lost it years ago...he used to be funny, but these days even his guests look uncomfortable with his barbs.

I am not sure when this was...but one guest was NOT impressed when he made a drinking joke..and the guest was a recovering alcoholic. I see him from time to time..the guy is so full of himself it isn't funny.

Johnny Carson WAS funny...and his envelope skits were classics. See..Carson never got personal with people, and even with his political jokes..he seemed to stay on his side of the line if you get my drift.

Letterman is way too pushy.

Carson was a gentleman...Letterman, a pale imitation.

Goldwater
09-27-2008, 07:11 AM

You watch that too? What the hell? So do I, I thought a show like that would be too "loose" for you.

<3

One of Letterman's associates, an ex-copy from NYC, was an intern on the show. He then did skits and wrote some of their newsletters. He told me that he was a Rush fan. I'm sure he's in an uncomfortable position.

You shut your filthy mouth, Rush is amazing.

LibraryLady
09-27-2008, 08:00 AM
You watch that too? What the hell? So do I, I thought a show like that would be too "loose" for you.

I started watching Red eye at the beginning. I think his mother is hilarious. I am amazed at some of the things they get away with saying!

"Television is like a completely different planet -- you have to know what you're doing, and I don't know what I'm doing." (http://www.mediabistro.com/articles/cache/a10173.asp)

biccat
09-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I haven't even seen SNL since about 1988.
So you stopped watching during the last funny season?

AmPat
09-28-2008, 01:02 AM

Does your liberal idiocy come naturally? I don't drink but if I did you would still lose in a battle of wits. You see, half-wits like you aren't equipped for adult formats like this. I think it's playtime now, run along to the see-saw.:rolleyes:

As for enjoying myself, you're helping.;)

AmPat
09-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Oh snap! :D

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself but would you please take your hands out of your pants?:eek:

linda22003
09-28-2008, 08:17 AM
So you stopped watching during the last funny season?

I thought it had already stopped being funny. I was in college when it began in '75, and I think the first five or six years were the best.

Eyelids
09-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Does your liberal idiocy come naturally? I don't drink but if I did you would still lose in a battle of wits. You see, half-wits like you aren't equipped for adult formats like this. I think it's playtime now, run along to the see-saw.:rolleyes:

As for enjoying myself, you're helping.;)

Oh I'm starting to get it. You're one of those tight-asses who never relaxes and has turned into a raving lunatic because of it.

AmPat
09-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Oh I'm starting to get it. You're one of those tight-asses who never relaxes and has turned into a raving lunatic because of it.

Still batting an astonishing .000%.:rolleyes: I am not an anti-drinker, I'm a non-drinker. There is a difference. I drank for more years than you have on this earth. I quit for my own reasons. If that is grounds for your ridicule, fine. Your opinions don't bother me but I thought I'd help you out on the facts.;)

SaintLouieWoman
09-29-2008, 11:58 AM

<3

You shut your filthy mouth, Rush is amazing.
I beg your pardon? My "filthy mouth?" I said that the guy was a Rush fan and worked for Letterman. That the staffer would be in an uncomfortable position. Can't you read?

I didn't deserve your "filthy mouth" remark. :mad:

LogansPapa
09-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm glad you are enjoying yourself but would you please take your hands out of your pants?:eek:

That would be ‘hand’, insensitive asshole. Get it right.

SaintLouieWoman
09-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Still batting an astonishing .000%.:rolleyes: I am not an anti-drinker, I'm a non-drinker. There is a difference. I drank for more years than you have on this earth. I quit for my own reasons. If that is grounds for your ridicule, fine. Your opinions don't bother me but I thought I'd help you out on the facts.;)
Don't bother explaining yourself to a nit-wit. He doesn't deserve an answer. Your reasons are private. People who have to find courage in a bottle are sad.

AmPat
09-29-2008, 11:41 PM
That would be ‘hand’, insensitive asshole. Get it right.

Ha! A little respect please, that's Mr. A--hole.;)