PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to CU Saint Frank!

asdf2231
09-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Welcome back fellow!

:D

Rebel Yell
09-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Welcome back fellow!

The Frank?

GrumpyOldLady
09-26-2008, 04:31 PM
The Frank?
:eek:

I once 'knew' a Frank - on another site. :mad:
Who is this 'St. Frank'?? I wanna know if it's the same one.
Gotta' hear more about him.

Rebel Yell
09-26-2008, 04:54 PM

This is FrankSolich. I don't know if it's him or not, since no one's answered me.

megimoo
09-26-2008, 05:21 PM
He's not on the members list !

JB
09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
He's not on the members list !No one shows up on the members list until you reach a certain number of posts. I think it's 25. Not positive.

GrumpyOldLady
09-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Not the same frank! Excellent!
That other frank was a worm.

Welcome to St. Frank! :)

megimoo
09-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Not the same frank! Excellent!
That other frank was a worm.

Welcome to St. Frank! :)Be nice .Frank was/is a gentle man !

SarasotaRepub
09-26-2008, 06:49 PM
No one shows up on the members list until you reach a certain number of posts. I think it's 25. Not positive.

It's 10. :D

Hi Frank.

Bubba Dawg
09-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Hello Frank.

I really didn't know you before but your reputation precedes you. Glad to see you. :)

Gingersnap
09-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi, Frank. I was very sorry to read about your cat. I know you had a special relationship with that one. :(

Zeus
09-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi, Frank. I was very sorry to read about your cat. I know you had a special relationship with that one. :(

Hey hey hey now, careful there this is a family orientated Board. :eek:

:p

Cold Warrior
09-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Aesop was wrong, btw...

http://www.baconstripranch.com/images/20_Elmer_Fudd2.jpg

Bubba Dawg
09-27-2008, 07:33 PM

That is sick man...:D:D

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Welcome back fellow!

Thank you, sir, and thank you to whoever canonized me "St. Frank of the Sandhills."

I'm flattered.

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:36 AM
The Frank?

If you're thinking of the same Frank I am, yes, sir.

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:38 AM

There's probably lots and lots of Franks around, madam.

This Frank's been around all over the internet since 1996, though.

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:39 AM
He's not on the members list !

Probably because I've only been here to use the spellchecker, sir.

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:39 AM
It's 10. :D

Hi Frank.

Hi, sir; good to see you.

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Hello Frank.

I really didn't know you before but your reputation precedes you. Glad to see you. :)

I dunno, sir.

I don't imagine I enjoy much of a reputation among the primitives on Skins's island.

But, as we know, there's something wrong with people who don't like nice guys.

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:43 AM

It was pretty bad; I had no idea this sort of thing would waste one so much.

I think what made it hard was spending 20 days watching Floyd wither away. If he had simply run away and forever evaporated, or been hit by a motor vehicle or predator (instant death), I probably would have handled it better.

Twenty days can be an eternity, one fraught with worry, panic, fear.

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:44 AM

Yes, of course, no overt alcoholic beverages or copulation.

megimoo
09-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Probably because I've only been here to use the spellchecker, sir.

Subtle,very subtle sir !

franksolich
09-28-2008, 08:47 AM
What is this "friends" thing that's clogging up the "mail box"?

Are there any benefits to it, or is it really only something like the "stars" my fellow alum Skins gives out?

SaintLouieWoman
09-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome Frank. I hope that you will treat CU to further stories of the Sandhills. Your unique view of life is a welcome contrast to the posting of some.

Ree
09-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey sweetie, how ya holdin up?? Was so sorry to hear about Floyd:(

franksolich
09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Welcome Frank. I hope that you will treat CU to further stories of the Sandhills. Your unique view of life is a welcome contrast to the posting of some.

Well, I got a copy of the "rough draft" analysis of William Rivers Pitt, er, the William Rivers Pitt, last week.

It's all a bunch of Greek to me, but it appears there were significant changes in what people fed pigs after 1945. From 1875 until 1945, the diet was reasonably consistent, after which it became more varied.

Or, has been conjectured, once swine excrement reaches a certain age, it makes no difference whether it's 75 years old or 150 years old, being essentially the same thing.

The William Rivers Pitt is layered, and about half of the way down there appears to be much dirt and silt.....probably traceable to North Dakota, as this is stuff from the 1930s.

About 6-10 feet into the William Rivers Pitt is of course the remains of the barn that burned down in 1950; the growth of the William Rivers Pitt since then has been natural, wind bringing in new dirt and settling it there. The William Rivers Pitt is apparently an always growing phenomenon.

franksolich
09-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey sweetie, how ya holdin up?? Was so sorry to hear about Floyd:(

I'm holding up as good as I can, neighbor.

I'll snap out of it.

Zeus
09-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes, of course, no overt alcoholic beverages or copulation.

Well if you want to add that to your repertoire of stories knock yourself out Frankie ;) Red heads even .

franksolich
09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Well if you want to add that to your repertoire of stories knock yourself out Frankie ;) Red heads even .

Well now, remember, sir, I don't dislike red-headed women.

As for repertoire of "stories," I dunno. I'm always stymied by the "character limit," and it for example took me forever to write about the newspaper editor and the party because it had to be done in segments. I'm beginning to wonder if freerepublic, which appears to have no "character limit," might not be a better venue.

It's not my fault the stories are so long; it's just something that happens.

Zeus
09-28-2008, 05:06 PM

As for repertoire of "stories," I dunno. I'm always stymied by the "character limit," and it for example took me forever to write about the newspaper editor and the party because it had to be done in segments. I'm beginning to wonder if freerepublic, which appears to have no "character limit," might not be a better venue.

You need not expect to get your book right the first time. Go to work and revamp or rewrite it. God only exhibits his thunder and lightning at intervals, and so they always command attention. These are God's adjectives. You thunder and lightning too much; the reader ceases to get under the bed, by and by.
- Mark Twain Letter to Orion Clemens, 23 March 1878

To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. To condense the diffused light of a page of thought into the luminous flash of a single sentence, is worthy to rank as a prize composition just by itself...Anybody can have ideas--the difficulty is to express them without squandering a quire of paper on an idea that ought to be reduced to one glittering paragraph.
- Mark Twain Letter to Emeline Beach, 10 Feb 1868

hampshirebrit
09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Thank you, sir, and thank you to whoever canonized me "St. Frank of the Sandhills."

I'm flattered.

I believe that was me.

Welcome home to the fleet.

Perilloux
09-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Welcome back Frank. It's great to 'see' you again.

;)

Shannon
09-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Ah, Frank. One would welcome you back. Perhaps you need a new avatar though.

Ree
09-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm holding up as good as I can, neighbor.

I'll snap out of it.
I maybe closer soon, Cowboy is talkin about movin back to SD.....

Ree
09-30-2008, 08:35 PM

I think(SR or SLW could help) ya could post your stories in the "blog" part of CU...

FlaGator
10-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Glad you're back!

SimonofCyrene
10-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Wow....

As I was heading East from the Left Coast last summer, I came upon the sign that said "Omaha". I continued East through the heart of Iowa. As I made the turn off in the big moving truck, I wondered if Frank was still living out there in Nebraska and how things were going for him these days.

I shall send you a PM, sir, to touch base.

franksolich
10-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow....

As I was heading East from the Left Coast last summer, I came upon the sign that said "Omaha". I continued East through the heart of Iowa. As I made the turn off in the big moving truck, I wondered if Frank was still living out there in Nebraska and how things were going for him these days.

I shall send you a PM, sir, to touch base.

I'm copacetic, sir.

Relaxed, laid back, mellow, without the assistance of pharmaceuticals, licit or illicit.

It's just the way I am.

asdf2231
10-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey Frank, when are we going to see the finished musings on the Pitt Pile?

franksolich
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey Frank, when are we going to see the finished musings on the Pitt Pile?

Her final report isn't due until the end of the second semester, late April or early May 2009, but she's shared some findings with me.

The William Rivers Pitt is "layered," and the Depression-era stuff is about 35 feet down from the top (remember, the William Rivers Pitt, which began in a ravine in 1875, protrudes, like the Jungfrau); the stuff from the days of William McKinley is circa 12 feet lower than that.

There was a constant change in the number of pigs producing this stuff, but 1 foot of the stuff circa 1885 is about 2 feet of the stuff circa 1940, because of the slow compaction, and all the weight added on top.

There's two non-swine by-product layers; about 8 or 9 inches of silt from the Dust Bowl during the 1930s, and then about six feet deep on top, covering all of the William Rivers Pitt like icing.

This is charred (and now significantly decayed) lumber from when the barn burned down in 1950 (and the remains were tossed onto the William Rivers Pitt), and all the airborne soil added on since then.

So it's a mixture of a swine by-product, soil from Manitoba and North Dakota, and burned lumber, but easily 90% swine by-product.

There had been some concern that the William Rivers Pitt had also been used for disposal of household garbage, but apparently not, as that sort of thing was found by the prairie archaeologist (not the soil scientist) on the other side of the house, along with four distinct locations of outdoor plumbery. There were at least four outhouses, from 1875 through 1940; outhouses were cheap and easy to build, and so when the hole filled up, one simply dug a new hole somewhere else and propped a new wooden shed on top of it.

The outhouse locations showed this family used a lot of lime.

She found a higher-than-expected level of selenium in the William Rivers Pitt, but myself not being a chemist, I have no idea what this means.

Kristin
10-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Welcome back Frank. It appears you've caused quite a stir.

franksolich
10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Welcome back Frank. It appears you've caused quite a stir.

Impossible, madam.

I'm a nice guy, one of the nicest guys one can hope to meet, either in real life or on the internet.

I never create a stir no matter where I go; in fact, I usually tend to be invisible.

Sort of like when one has 17 house-guests, and has to be preoccupied with 16 of them, the last one falling off the radar.