PDA

View Full Version : Well, Me And The WWE Are No Longer On Speaking Terms

NJCardFan
02-21-2013, 03:23 AM
Now, I haven't been into pro wrestling as much as I was back in the 90's/early 2000's but I do check in from time to time. You may not like it but it's just another form of entertainment no different than watching movies or television dramas. The one thing that made wrestling entertaining for me were the characters. Usually, no subject was taboo. We had a black separatist faction(Nation of Domination), a biker gang(Disciples of the Apocalypse), an ambiguously gay tag team(Billy and Chuck and their blatantly flaming manager Rico), a self made Wall Street tycoon(John Bradshaw Layfield...who incidentally is a self made Wall Street tycoon) and other assorted characters. Vince McMahon even went to far as to have ethnically stereotypical characters like Saba Simba(Tony Atlas jumping around the ring wearing African garb complete with head dress and spear...yes I said spear), a bunch of Mexicans who came to the ring riding lawnmowers(no, I'm not making that up), and a Mexican wrestler who got fed up with being Mexican and decided to act more white(Chavo Guerrero, Jr who changed his in ring name to Kirwin White which lasted until the death of his uncle Eddie Guerrero when he switched back to his "Viva la Raza" roots) and even a post 9/11 Arab-American who was upset at the treatment he and his people were receiving in the wake of 9/11(and far be it from me to razz wrestling fans about their intelligence, or lack thereof, who would chant USA,USA when Hassan was in ring which was odd considering the character(played by an Italian) was American born).

Now, I understand what it means to try to draw what they call in the wrestling business "heat". The aforementioned Muhammad Hassan was drawing heat with his rants about the unfair treatment of other Arab Americans being unfairly looked at as terrorists. Oddly enough, the death of the character came when, on the day of the London bombings, brought in a group of terrorists to take out The Undertaker. UPN threatened to pull Smackdown! from their network so they had to ditch the character. Well, like I said, nothing was taboo. Even when they portrayed Bradshaw in a negative light(Layfield at the time was a regular on Fox News Saturday business shows), I knew it was all to garner heat from the mostly liberal fans because he was the personification of the evil wealthy people the left hate so much. But this time they're going too far for my tastes.

Their newest heat drawing character is a Tea Partier named Jack Swaggar complete with xenophobic tendencies as he, and his redneck mentor, complete with Gadsden flag. They went on a rant about what is wrong with the country is illegal immigration and the like because they are setting up a match between him and a recent heel names Alberto Del Rio who is currently World Heavyweight Champion. Guess this would be his face turn as he's been a heel since day one including running over Santa Clause on Christmas Eve. Anyway, I wouldn't care but they could have done some real research and presented the Tea Party as what they are; a smaller government group who wants more freedom but no, they decided to let a liberal give their interpretation of what a Tea Partier is. Funny how they make Tea Partiers look like xenophobic idiots while portraying a pair of gang banging thugs who make no bones about stealing look like faces(heroes)(Cryme Tyme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryme_Tyme)). Well, here's an interesting take on the whole thing: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/20/have-you-heard-the-wwes-wildly-racist-tea-party-wrestling-character-named-jack-swagger/

Strange considering the former CEO of the company had 2 unsuccessful runs at the U.S. Senate recently as a Republican.

Rockntractor
02-21-2013, 03:54 AM
If you find it to be amusing in general and to have entertainment value record it with a DVR and fast forward through the offensive portions, life is short, do what you enjoy.

NJCardFan
02-21-2013, 04:05 AM
The product is getting boring anyway. The only reason why I've been checking in lately is because The Rock is champ again.

txradioguy
02-21-2013, 05:26 AM
They are catching a LOT of backlash from fans over their stupid Jack Swagger as a nutty Tea Party patriot.

And rightfully so.

noonwitch
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Wrestling. I haven't watched that since Randy Macho Man Savage was the champ.

Zathras
02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Meh, I watch Top Gear UK on Monday nights now and don't pay much attention to the WWE anymore.

FlaGator
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Now, I haven't been into pro wrestling as much as I was back in the 90's/early 2000's but I do check in from time to time. You may not like it but it's just another form of entertainment no different than watching movies or television dramas. The one thing that made wrestling entertaining for me were the characters. Usually, no subject was taboo. We had a black separatist faction(Nation of Domination), a biker gang(Disciples of the Apocalypse), an ambiguously gay tag team(Billy and Chuck and their blatantly flaming manager Rico), a self made Wall Street tycoon(John Bradshaw Layfield...who incidentally is a self made Wall Street tycoon) and other assorted characters. Vince McMahon even went to far as to have ethnically stereotypical characters like Saba Simba(Tony Atlas jumping around the ring wearing African garb complete with head dress and spear...yes I said spear), a bunch of Mexicans who came to the ring riding lawnmowers(no, I'm not making that up), and a Mexican wrestler who got fed up with being Mexican and decided to act more white(Chavo Guerrero, Jr who changed his in ring name to Kirwin White which lasted until the death of his uncle Eddie Guerrero when he switched back to his "Viva la Raza" roots) and even a post 9/11 Arab-American who was upset at the treatment he and his people were receiving in the wake of 9/11(and far be it from me to razz wrestling fans about their intelligence, or lack thereof, who would chant USA,USA when Hassan was in ring which was odd considering the character(played by an Italian) was American born).

Now, I understand what it means to try to draw what they call in the wrestling business "heat". The aforementioned Muhammad Hassan was drawing heat with his rants about the unfair treatment of other Arab Americans being unfairly looked at as terrorists. Oddly enough, the death of the character came when, on the day of the London bombings, brought in a group of terrorists to take out The Undertaker. UPN threatened to pull Smackdown! from their network so they had to ditch the character. Well, like I said, nothing was taboo. Even when they portrayed Bradshaw in a negative light(Layfield at the time was a regular on Fox News Saturday business shows), I knew it was all to garner heat from the mostly liberal fans because he was the personification of the evil wealthy people the left hate so much. But this time they're going too far for my tastes.

Their newest heat drawing character is a Tea Partier named Jack Swaggar complete with xenophobic tendencies as he, and his redneck mentor, complete with Gadsden flag. They went on a rant about what is wrong with the country is illegal immigration and the like because they are setting up a match between him and a recent heel names Alberto Del Rio who is currently World Heavyweight Champion. Guess this would be his face turn as he's been a heel since day one including running over Santa Clause on Christmas Eve. Anyway, I wouldn't care but they could have done some real research and presented the Tea Party as what they are; a smaller government group who wants more freedom but no, they decided to let a liberal give their interpretation of what a Tea Partier is. Funny how they make Tea Partiers look like xenophobic idiots while portraying a pair of gang banging thugs who make no bones about stealing look like faces(heroes)(Cryme Tyme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryme_Tyme)). Well, here's an interesting take on the whole thing: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/20/have-you-heard-the-wwes-wildly-racist-tea-party-wrestling-character-named-jack-swagger/

Strange considering the former CEO of the company had 2 unsuccessful runs at the U.S. Senate recently as a Republican.

Did you catch the name of Swaggarts mentor? Zeb Coulter... a reference to Ann Coulter?

NJCardFan
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Did you catch the name of Swaggarts mentor? Zeb Coulter... a reference to Ann Coulter?

Yep. This is what the Tea Party looks like to the writers in the WWE:

http://www.wrestling-online.com/News/wp-content/themes/sahifa/timthumb.php?src=/wp-content/uploads/zebcoulter.jpg&h=330&w=660&a=c

NJCardFan
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Now, some of you might be asking yourselves "why should I care?" Well, I'll tell you why. Because a lot of kids watch this. After the Attitude Era(for those unfamiliar, the Attitude Era was a time when wrestling was very edgy with scantily clad women, very adult subject matter(if you would consider necrophilia adult subject matter), and more violent than normal content, content far removed from the Hulk Hogan days of the mid 80's), the WWE decided to re-gear their product toward kids like they did when Hogan was champ. Pretty much gone are the colorful characters who were replaced by pretty much guys who wrestle. Instead of getting The Ultimate Warrior, we get John Cena. Instead of George "the Animal Steele", we get Ryback. The only real characters left are The Undertaker and his kayfabe(storyline) brother Kane. So to kids, these are real people. So when they politicize it like this, to me it sends the wrong message. The best way to counter it would be to have a Tea Party type who isn't some wacky red neck xenophobe but I won't hold my breath.

noonwitch
02-21-2013, 03:21 PM
I actually agree with you that there is no room for politics in the WWE. I might not like wrestling much, but most of the boys I've worked with over the years love it. The days of Hulk Hogan were fun-the bad guy at the time, if I remember correctly, was the Million Dollar Man, who was always throwing money around. The bad guys were bad guys because of the way the behaved in the ring and in the fictional backround stories and associated publicity stunts. That's more of an appropriate message for kids-even though the Million Dollar Man won some matches, he always got his comeuppance, usually at the hands of Hulk or the Macho Man.

In the 80s, my kids loved the Junkyard Dog, because he was the only black wrestler, other than the Million $ Man's bodyguard, which was later. Kids identify with the heroes and villains in wrestling, and so they should stick to basic good guy vs bad guy themes, and avoid politics or racial identities when coming up with their storylines.

LukeEDay
02-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Vince and Linda are Republicans .. The Immigration angle, from I see, is a way to throw the immigration issue in obama's face. As both McMahons hate obama ...

Alberto Del Rio turned face before the Santa Clause Incident (Santa Clause was played by Mick Folly by the way).. His rivalry with Big show really brought him out to be a good guy. Now that he is a good guy, everyone loves him.

You won't have to worry much about Swaggart though, he was arrested on Tuesday evening for DUI and possession of pot while leaving a Smackdown taping. There is no word on what will happen to him, but if it is anything like it was for Billy Gun, Road Dog, and X Pac; he will either be fired or put on suspension for a couple of weeks or months. And he is scheduled to face Alberto Del Rio for the title at Wrestlemania.

The only reason the rock is back is because of Wrestlemania. They wanted a rematch between him and Cena from last year. This time Cena will win the title, and the Rock will go back to making movies, not returning for another seven or so years.

There is always politics in Wrestling. They with the story line of the week and use it. They been doing that since McMahon went through the government hearing about steroid use in his organization.

This is from someone who watching WWE every week. i like the new gimmick, although I never cared for Swaggart that much. He always seemed to me to be a somewhat dumb person.

The main thing I wish they would do is get rid of Vicky Guererra, Paul Hamin, and the Shield (A joke version of the NWO). I am also tired of Ziggler and his dumb side kick, Big E. Is that man ever going to wrestle?

On another note: I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to meet Vince McMahon, Linda McMahon, and Stephanie McMahon. They were very kind and respectful. They were probably some of the nicest people I ever spoke with. Steph is more beautiful in person than she is television. Wow ..

On the last note: Stephanie McMahon is the head writer for Raw ...

Friknnewguy
02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
I have no clue why the WWE would introduce this story line , can't say that I'm happy about it and I hope it quickly goes the way of Doink the Clown. This actor has been around wrestling since I was a little kid as Dutch Mantel , hopefully the adults who know who he is can separate the character from reality. I was a huge wrestling fan as s kid , but I haven't watched since my kids were born . Thus stunt does nothing to further their entertainment value .

NJCardFan
02-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Luke, Steph may be the head writer but the ones doing the writing are former soap opera writers. As for the McMahon's, how Vince gets away with certain things is beyond me but politics never played into the storylines with the exception of the brief debates between Foley and Bradshaw which were lame. This is the first time they've mocked a political group since the days of the RTC(Right To Censor which was a knock against the PTC or Parents Television Council who spoke out and lobbied against the then WWF about their content) but the RTC was directly targeting the WWF and wrestling in general, they had no teeth as a political group. The Nation of Domination, even though they used some rhetoric used by the Black Panthers were portrayed as a faction fed up with the treatment of black wrestlers by the WWF. It was respectfully done. The late Ludvig Borga was an environmentalist but who was anti American hence he was a heel. But the Tea Party is a legitimate political group with some influence and the WWE is choosing to portray them as xenophobic idiots. The point is, they've never EVER portrayed a liberal group in this light. Why didn't they mock the Occupy movement? Because they know that a majority of their audience are left wing and dont' want to piss them off that's why.

Oh, and if Vince put Hayman in charge of the company it would be 1,000 times better than it is now. Had Hayman had McMahon type money, ECW would still be around today but he couldn't afford to pay his top wrestlers like McMahon and Vince spent ECW into bankruptcy. WCW, however, were stupidly run and that's why they died.

Retread
08-30-2013, 11:20 PM
It looks very much like Vince and Linda are fading into the woodwork and turning it all over to Steph and 3H.
With the results of the latest PPV and the follow up weeks I've removed the tape and timing from the machine - at least until Cena recovers and it still may end up being the end of WWE for me.

I've strongly used the FF command over Coulter, Swagger, and many more so no it's gotten to the point where there isn't 10minutes I want to see in the 6 hours they are on each week.

I'm guessing it will be more instant watch on Netflix or doing some research to find the next Autozone to invest in for me.

LukeEDay
09-07-2013, 12:50 PM
It looks very much like Vince and Linda are fading into the woodwork and turning it all over to Steph and 3H.
With the results of the latest PPV and the follow up weeks I've removed the tape and timing from the machine - at least until Cena recovers and it still may end up being the end of WWE for me.

I've strongly used the FF command over Coulter, Swagger, and many more so no it's gotten to the point where there isn't 10minutes I want to see in the 6 hours they are on each week.

I'm guessing it will be more instant watch on Netflix or doing some research to find the next Autozone to invest in for me.

Yeah, Steph, HHH, and Shane are getting it. We will see what happens I guess. I like HHH.. He is my favorite wrestler ...