PDA

View Full Version : State lacks doctors to meet demand of national healthcare law.

JB
02-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Ruh-Roh.

State lacks doctors to meet demand of national healthcare law

Lawmakers are working on proposals that would enable physician assistants, nurse practitioners, optometrists and pharmacists to diagnose, treat and manage some illnesses.

SACRAMENTO As the state moves to expand healthcare coverage to millions of Californians under President Obama's healthcare law, it faces a major obstacle: There aren't enough doctors to treat a crush of newly insured patients.

Some lawmakers want to fill the gap by redefining who can provide healthcare.

They are working on proposals that would allow physician assistants to treat more patients and nurse practitioners to set up independent practices. Pharmacists and optometrists could act as primary care providers, diagnosing and managing some chronic illnesses, such as diabetes and high-blood pressure.

Hernandez (D-West Covina), who said he would introduce his legislation and hold a hearing on the issue next month, said his own experience as an optometrist shows the need to empower more practitioners. He said he often sees Medicaid patients who come to his La Puente practice because they have failed their vision test at the DMV. Many complain of constant thirst and frequent urination.

"I know it's diabetes," he said. But he is not allowed to diagnose or treat it and must refer those patients elsewhere. <snipped>Aye Carumba.

What's scarier...your nurse might one day be performing your open heart surgery or your pharmacist that wants to put a digit in your butt?

Don't we have a liberal or two on CU that constantly tells us our healthcare and access to our doctor won't change under Fredocare?

The horror (http://www.latimes.com/health/la-me-doctors-20130210,0,1509396.story)

Odysseus
02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Ruh-Roh.

State lacks doctors to meet demand of national healthcare law

Lawmakers are working on proposals that would enable physician assistants, nurse practitioners, optometrists and pharmacists to diagnose, treat and manage some illnesses.

Aye Carumba.

What's scarier...your nurse might one day be performing your open heart surgery or your pharmacist that wants to put a digit in your butt?

Don't we have a liberal or two on CU that constantly tells us our healthcare and access to our doctor won't change under Fredocare?

The horror (http://www.latimes.com/health/la-me-doctors-20130210,0,1509396.story)

Tricare has been dealing with this for a while. I recently turned 50 and had to schedule a colonoscopy, and it's taken me months to get an appointment through the system. The backlog at military treatment facilities in the National Capitol Region is becoming a serious problem, and rank doesn't help.

Rockntractor
02-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Tricare has been dealing with this for a while. I recently turned 50 and had to schedule a colonoscopy, and it's taken me months to get an appointment through the system. The backlog at military treatment facilities in the National Capitol Region is becoming a serious problem, and rank doesn't help.

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/halloween-peur/peurbleue02.gif