PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Dem to Rape Survivor: A Gun Wouldn’t Have Helped You

Rockntractor
03-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Colorado Dem to Rape Survivor: A Gun Wouldn’t Have Helped You Against Rapist Because ‘Statistics Are Not on Your Side’
Mar. 5, 2013 4:29am Jason Howerton

Rape survivor Amanda Collins bravely spoke about her horrific attack during a Monday legislative hearing concerning Colorado’s proposed ban on concealed firearms on college campuses. She explained how she wished she would’ve had a firearm to defend herself from her rapist, which could have possibly prevented the attack from occurring.

After calling her story “unsettling,” Democratic state Sen. Evie Hudak quickly went after Collins, saying “actually, statistics are not on your side, even if you had a gun.”

“You said that you were a martial arts student, I mean person, experienced in Tae Kwon Do, and yet because this individual was so large, was able to overcome you even with your skills, and chances are that if you had had a gun, then he would have been able to get that from you and possibly use it against you,” she added.
ReadMore>http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/05/colorado-dem-to-rape-survivor-a-gun-wouldnt-have-helped-you-against-rapist-because-statistics-are-not-on-your-side/

NJCardFan
03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
A gun wouldn't help but pissing yourself would have. To quote Charlie Brown, "Good grief!"

Unreconstructed Reb
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I think, in Sen. Hudak, that we've found the author of the theory of gun control:

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

noonwitch
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure if a gun would have helped her or not. It all depends on whether she saw him coming or not. If he saw the gun, he might have decided on a different victim. She's alive today, so she did something right.

That still doesn't mean the congressman can definitively say that it wouldn't have helped her.

Unreconstructed Reb
03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure if a gun would have helped her or not. It all depends on whether she saw him coming or not. If he saw the gun, he might have decided on a different victim. She's alive today, so she did something right.

That still doesn't mean the congressman can definitively say that it wouldn't have helped her.

And neither can you. What we know is a) she didn't have a gun and b) she was brutally raped.

I think that the applicable rule is: better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Furthermore, I think that she, and anybody else that wants to, should carry whether it's against the rules or not. The applicable rule for that would be: better to tried by 12 than carried by 6.

FWIW, I'm sure that all the rapist that have been fatally shot by their would be victims agree wholeheartily with you and the bimbo senator.

noonwitch
03-06-2013, 05:32 PM
And neither can you. What we know is a) she didn't have a gun and b) she was brutally raped.

I think that the applicable rule is: better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Furthermore, I think that she, and anybody else that wants to, should carry whether it's against the rules or not. The applicable rule for that would be: better to tried by 12 than carried by 6.

FWIW, I'm sure that all the rapist that have been fatally shot by their would be victims agree wholeheartily with you and the bimbo senator.

I didn't make any definitive statement on whether it would have helped her or not. I was just saying that the rep was wrong to be so definitive.

She wasn't carried out by 6, she survived to testify. Rape is horrible, but rape and murder is worse.

Unreconstructed Reb
03-06-2013, 06:22 PM
I didn't make any definitive statement on whether it would have helped her or not. I was just saying that the rep was wrong to be so definitive.

No, you didn't make a definitive statement and, the fact is, having a gun definitely would have helped, but I guess the liberal gun grabber in you can't admit that.

She wasn't carried out by 6, she survived to testify..

And scum bag lived to pull a short jail sentence and be released to rape, and possibly murder, again.

Rape is horrible, but rape and murder is worse.

Praise the Lord that she was only raped! Thank God she didn't have a gun or that could have been prevented!

NJCardFan
03-06-2013, 07:28 PM

She wasn't carried out by 6, she survived to testify. Rape is horrible, but rape and murder is worse.

I'm sure it was wonderful for her. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
No, you didn't make a definitive statement and, the fact is, having a gun definitely would have helped, but I guess the liberal gun grabber in you can't admit that.

And scum bag lived to pull a short jail sentence and be released to rape, and possibly murder, again.

Praise the Lord that she was only raped! Thank God she didn't have a gun or that could have been prevented!

Again, I am not a gun grabber. I am just not a gun owner myself, and I don't really know that much about them. I do know this basic thing about self-defense-if you don't see the threat coming, you might not get a chance to use your weapon, whether it's a gun on a holster, pepper spray, baseball bat or a dagger clipped onto the inside of your boot.

And, yes, it is better to be a rape survivor than a rape/murder victim. Always.

Unreconstructed Reb
03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Again, I am not a gun grabber. I am just not a gun owner myself, and I don't really know that much about them. I do know this basic thing about self-defense-if you don't see the threat coming, you might not get a chance to use your weapon, whether it's a gun on a holster, pepper spray, baseball bat or a dagger clipped onto the inside of your boot.

And, yes, it is better to be a rape survivor than a rape/murder victim. Always.

I'm always amazed by the so called 'reasoning' of the libtard. The implication above being, "well, golly gee, since you can't always see the treat coming then it's really just a big fat waste of time to be armed". That so called'reasoning' is patently absurd and another example of the liberal tactic of using the straw man argument when they can't logically counter during a debate.

"Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon: they'll knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and then declare victory." --- unknown

I have personal experience with not seeing the threat coming but because I was armed with a gun I was able to neutralize the perp before he neutralized me. Your so called 'reasoning' is naive and doesnt' pass the smell test. If you personally don't want to arm yourself then, fine, risk being a victim but don't question or try to deny others their natural right to bear arms and defend themselves.

And, yes, it is better to be armed than to become a rape/murder victim, or any other kind of victim. Always.

noonwitch
03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm always amazed by the so called 'reasoning' of the libtard. The implication above being, "well, golly gee, since you can't always see the treat coming then it's really just a big fat waste of time to be armed". That so called'reasoning' is patently absurd and another example of the liberal tactic of using the straw man argument when they can't logically counter during a debate.

"Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon: they'll knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and then declare victory." --- unknown

I have personal experience with not seeing the threat coming but because I was armed with a gun I was able to neutralize the perp before he neutralized me. Your so called 'reasoning' is naive and doesnt' pass the smell test. If you personally don't want to arm yourself then, fine, risk being a victim but don't question or try to deny others their natural right to bear arms and defend themselves.

And, yes, it is better to be armed than to become a rape/murder victim, or any other kind of victim. Always.

You insist on misinterpreting everything I say so that you can justify your hatred. Fine. I never said that she shouldn't have had a gun, or that she wouldn't have been able to use it to protect herself. What I said is that I don't know whether it would have helped this woman or not, but that neither did the representative in question. I am admitting my ignorance about guns. I've never claimed to know anything about guns, which is one of many reasons I don't take an anti-gun stand (the 2nd Amendment being the main reason).

Odysseus
03-07-2013, 12:16 PM
You insist on misinterpreting everything I say so that you can justify your hatred. Fine. I never said that she shouldn't have had a gun, or that she wouldn't have been able to use it to protect herself. What I said is that I don't know whether it would have helped this woman or not, but that neither did the representative in question. I am admitting my ignorance about guns. I've never claimed to know anything about guns, which is one of many reasons I don't take an anti-gun stand (the 2nd Amendment being the main reason).

While we accept that you are not personally anti-gun, you do vote for Democratic politicians who are vehemently anti-gun. Given that it's not an issue of major concern for you, that is understandable, but you also understand that if you vote for the dogs, you end up with the fleas.

Unreconstructed Reb
03-07-2013, 01:40 PM

First, I didn't misinterpret your response but perhaps you yourself are a little fuzzy about the issue. Exactly what was the point of your statement that a gun might not have helped her? We know the representative is a gun control advocate so she can't make any other argument than the weak one that she did. If you're not a gun control advocate then why would you position yourself similarly to the Colorado rep? It's a lame argument. If you can produce some emperical data that shows that women wielding guns are just as likely to be raped as women without guns, then fine. But when you jumped in with the weak and naive "it might not have helped her" dribble you, perhaps unwittingly, aligned yourself with the Colorado gun controller.

Second, don't project your hatred on me. I may find 0bama butt kissing liberals disgusting but I don't hate anybody. I refuse to waste the energy. If you feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel hatred from me or any other conservative then it's simply that you're trying to justify your hatred for me and, perhaps, others, via some misguided emotional equivalency.

Molon Labe
03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Years ago, I witnessed a shooting. A guy was laying next to my car with a bullet wound in his side. A day later we find that the guy was down the street in a laundry mat in an apartment complex, on top of a girl trying to rape her. She had a 38 in her pocket and was able to put a round in his side. Guy didn't die, but he stopped messing with her.

I'd rather her have the opportunity to have one than not.

Jim54
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
"...chances are that if you had had a gun, then he would have been able to get that from you and possibly use it against you...”

IMHO the the chances are very high that this Senator Hudak is lacking in the area of common sense. Any edge beats no edge or chance. Of course the good Senator has professional security, i'll wager.

ReinMan
03-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Strange though, that no one advocates taking guns away from the police using the same logic....

There are no national statistics on how many times officers' guns are taken away. But the FBI says that of the 616 law enforcement officers killed on duty by criminals from 1994 through 2003, 52 were killed with their own weapon, amounting to 8 percent.

Source:PoliceOne.Com (http://www.policeone.com/close-quarters-combat/articles/100228-Cases-of-Officers-Killed-by-Their-Own-Guns-Likely-Will-Not-Change-R-I-Policies/)

stsinner
03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Evidently, self-help is discouraged. Just wet your pants or vomit on yourself or tell the man you have AIDS, according to the Dems..

Odysseus
03-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Evidently, self-help is discouraged. Just wet your pants or vomit on yourself or tell the man you have AIDS, according to the Dems..

In all fairness, people who wet themselves (especially when they see anything that looks like a gun), vomit on cue (all of those models/Hollywood starlets) or have AIDS are major Democratic constituencies. :evil-grin: