PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Italian Wedding Soup...

marv
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
This comes from an immigrant Italian aunt of a friend from another board. I'm sure Retread remembers BD, the master chef.

Ingredient quantities are loose and goosey and depend on individual taste which truly makes it an individual creation. When it's done, the prominent colors should be the Italian national colors of red (tomatoes), white (pasta), and green (spinach).

BROTH
3 turkey wings/drumsticks or chicken breast
Bring to a boil in a large pot to make the broth
When it falls off the bone, pick the meat and return to the broth
Drain 1 large can diced tomatoes and add to the broth
Add 1 bag fresh spinach to broth (frozen chopped can be used)

MEATBALLS
1 to 2 lbs ground chuck
Garlic
Diced onion or green onion or chives or any combination
Breadcrumbs
3 to 4 eggs
Parmesan cheese

Form meatballs to about marble size
Briefly fry to get rid of the grease
Add to broth

About package of pastini (or any tiny Italian pasta) cooked al dente before adding to the broth. Even the pre-cooked pasta will absorb the broth, watch it and add canned chicken broth as needed.

patriot45
04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Made this many times , never would I trow tomatos in there! And I don't fry my mini meatballs first. But hey different Italians do it the way they like! Bon Apetit!
mangiare un cavallo!:biggrin-new:

Bailey
04-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Made this many times , never would I trow tomatos in there! And I don't fry my mini meatballs first. But hey different Italians do it the way they like! Bon Apetit!
mangiare un cavallo!:biggrin-new:

My grandmother and my Dad make it with mini meatballs, got a problem with that? ;)

My Dad puts bread (I think its bread) in his soup and its the bomb. :D

patriot45
04-09-2013, 09:50 PM
My grandmother and my Dad make it with mini meatballs, got a problem with that? ;)

My Dad puts bread (I think its bread) in his soup and its the bomb. :D

Reading problems huh?! I don't fry my mini meatballs, just drop em in the broth.

Bailey
04-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Reading problems huh?! I don't fry my mini meatballs, just drop em in the broth.

ooops sorry :( I read it too fast :D

patriot45
04-09-2013, 09:54 PM
ooops sorry :( I read it too fast :D

Its all good! Now I wish I had a bowl of it in front of me! :smile-new:

NJCardFan
04-09-2013, 10:11 PM
You can substitute ground chuck with meatloaf mix(beef, pork, and veal) for more flavor and escarole instead of spinach if you like a bolder green.

marv
04-09-2013, 10:38 PM
I usually cheat. I use the frozen Italian mini meatballs, but I still quarter them. I also use Italian spiced diced tomatoes for some extra zest!

Novaheart
04-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Me like Italian wedding COOKIES!

Rockntractor
04-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Me like Italian wedding COOKIES!

I have never met a cookie I didn't like.

Adam Wood
04-10-2013, 02:36 AM
I usually cheat. I use the frozen Italian mini meatballs, but I still quarter them. I also use Italian spiced diced tomatoes for some extra zest!

It's soooo hard to find good frozen Italian these days, so I try to use fresh....