PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Students Need Signed Permission Slips To See Sen. Rick Santorum Speak

NJCardFan
04-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Don't know if you heard this story but Rick Santorum was scheduled to speak at Grosse Pointe High School in Michigan but the superintendent cancelled the appearance because of Santorum's "extreme" views on gay marriage. Well, the speech is back on but students must get a permission slip signed by their parents in order to see the speech. http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/04/rick_santorum_speech_back_on_a.html

noonwitch
04-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Grosse Pointe is a very wealthy, republican area of suburban Detroit. It's more establishment republicans, though. It's where the old money is.

At the end of "Gran Torino", the kid is driving the car up Lake Shore Drive in Grosse Pointe Shores, which is lined on one side with beautiful mansions that are architectural treasures, and on the other side is Lake St. Clair.

linda22003
04-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Apparently Santorum was asked for the text of his remarks in advance, and refused to provide them.

Lanie
04-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Don't know if you heard this story but Rick Santorum was scheduled to speak at Grosse Pointe High School in Michigan but the superintendent cancelled the appearance because of Santorum's "extreme" views on gay marriage. Well, the speech is back on but students must get a permission slip signed by their parents in order to see the speech. http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/04/rick_santorum_speech_back_on_a.html

It's about not making parents angry. There are some schools here in which if somebody for gay marriage (even President Obama himself) wanted to speak there, it would either be blocked or parental permission slips would be sent out. It's about covering your butt.

NJCardFan
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Apparently Santorum was asked for the text of his remarks in advance, and refused to provide them.

Since when is this a requirement or is this only reserved for conservatives.

LukeEDay
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
If that was a liberal trying to shove evolution down the kids throats, the school would be forcing them listen to him. But since Santorum is a republican and disagrees with gay marriage, they don't want the kids to listen to him. Apparently the school has been indoctrinating the kids into thinking that gay marriage is o.k and that everything the bible teaches is wrong. Good one there, Michigan ...

linda22003
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Since when is this a requirement or is this only reserved for conservatives.

I have no way of knowing what that school district specifically requires, any more than you do.

NJCardFan
04-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I have no way of knowing what that school district specifically requires, any more than you do.

Then why bring it up?

linda22003
04-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Then why bring it up?

As a possible explanation for why he was "denied his free speech rights!!!!"

noonwitch
04-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Bob Dutko was talking about this at lunchtime, when I was driving around to the credit union and the Pita Cafe. According to him, the people who objected to Santorum speaking were the teachers, not the students or the parents, and that the topic of the proposed speech was apolitical-it was to be about leadership and public service. A black conservative student invited him to speak, which makes any cries about Santorum's alleged racism moot.

In the olden days of the late 70s and early 80s, my high school had the right policy. When speakers come to the school to talk about politics, if you had a liberal speak, you had to invite a conservative to present that side. And vice versa.

So, one day we had the director of the Michigan Moral Majority come and speak to us, and two days later, someone from the ACLU came in to speak. In my sociology class, one day we had a RTL speaker, and the next day we had one from PP.

If everything Bob Dutko said is true, then I have to say that the school is way off base on this. I'm not a conservative, but if the topics of the speech are leadership and public service, does it really matter whether the person is D or R? And, if it does matter, just have some liberal politician come in and give a speech on the same topic another day.

Odysseus
04-11-2013, 04:05 PM

As a possible explanation for why he was "denied his free speech rights!!!!"

As a possible explanation (i.e., excuse), it's not accurate. Santorum stated that he was not asked for a copy of his remarks:

Rick Santorum Comments on Cancellation of Grosse Pointe South High School Speech
Verona, PA - Former Republican presidential candidate and Patriot Voices Chairman Rick Santorum issued the following statement regarding the cancellation of his upcoming speech at Grosse Pointe South High School in Michigan:

"It's a sad day when liberal educators are allowed to influence young minds - extending free speech rights only to those who share their liberal views. I support traditional marriage; I believe marriage should be between one man and one woman. I'm not sure what the administrators in the Grosse Pointe Public School System are afraid of, but these students deserve the respect to form their own opinion on this important issue.

"Furthermore, anyone who has ever seen me speak knows I rarely use prepared text. In the case of Grosse Pointe High School - I was never asked for a copy of a speech, nor did I send one. This has nothing to do with the content of a speech, but rather the context of my convictions."

It sounds more like Santorum's record was what incensed the censors' senses.

Adam Wood
04-11-2013, 04:47 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/vpdo3k.png

PAUL: Ten years. What happened!?

MARTIN:I freaked out, joined the Army, worked for the government, and went into business for myself... I'm a professional killer.

PAUL: Thank you.

PAUL: Professional killer, huh? Does that come with a good HMO?

JB
04-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Apparently Santorum was asked for the text of his remarks in advance, and refused to provide them.Apparently you were mistaken. Correction...you were mistaken.

Quite frankly, it looks like you are using this in defense of the school.

Santorum opinions bad, liberal school administrator opinions good. :rolleyes:

Novaheart
04-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Santorum is a hate monger. Why would anyone want him to speak at a high school?

JB
04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Santorum is a hate monger. Why would anyone want him to speak at a high school?Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

I happen to think every liberal/democrat/lefty walking the earth is a hate monger. Evidence would be on my side.

NJCardFan
04-11-2013, 07:59 PM

So because his views on gay marriage differ from yours makes him a hate monger? Typical liberal bullshit. I bet if some Christian hating faggot wanted to speak you'd be all for it.

Novaheart
04-11-2013, 10:11 PM
So because his views on gay marriage differ from yours makes him a hate monger? Typical liberal bullshit. I bet if some Christian hating faggot wanted to speak you'd be all for it.

You're just all charm aren't you? And you wonder why no one likes you.

LukeEDay
04-12-2013, 06:09 AM

Typical liberal BS. Nice try there, Scooter.

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

I happen to think every liberal/democrat/lefty walking the earth is a hate monger. Evidence would be on my side.

I agree. All liberals do is hate, hate, hate, hate .... They preach tolerance, but only tolerate those who agree with their views...And try to silence those who don't.

Truth!

Zathras
04-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Nice job Fred Astaire....now how about answering the fucking question.

linda22003
04-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Apparently you were mistaken. Correction...you were mistaken.

Quite frankly, it looks like you are using this in defense of the school.

Santorum opinions bad, liberal school administrator opinions good. :rolleyes:

No, it's just a news story I read. I don't need to "defend" the school, or have any opinion about Santorum's appearance. The school can have him or not as it chooses. He's obviously starting his 2016 campaign, which will probably be a repeat of 2012. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
04-12-2013, 12:00 PM

It appears that the only person no one likes is you there twinkle toes.

NJCardFan
04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Typical liberal BS. Nice try there, Scooter.

I agree. All liberals do is hate, hate, hate, hate .... They preach tolerance, but only tolerate those who agree with their views...And try to silence those who don't.

Truth!

I bet people like Nova and Linda have no issue with Columbia University hiring a member of the Weather Underground (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/02/where-is-the-former-weather-underground-radical-who-spent-22-years-in-prison-for-robbery-that-left-2-cops-dead-teaching-at-columbia-of-course/) who did over 20 years in prison for murder onto their faculty. As was said on O'Reilly last night, the left is off the hook in this country.

noonwitch
04-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Well, he did compare gay marriage to "man on dog" sex, to use his words. I can see why Nova would be offended by that.

It doesn't matter, though, because from what I've heard, Santorum's speech was going to be limited to the topics of leadership and public service, the type of speech that any politician of any stripe would give to high school students.

Maybe the school administrators googled his name and it kicked off the border management thing.

LukeEDay
04-12-2013, 12:11 PM
I bet people like Nova and Linda have no issue with Columbia University hiring a member of the Weather Underground (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/02/where-is-the-former-weather-underground-radical-who-spent-22-years-in-prison-for-robbery-that-left-2-cops-dead-teaching-at-columbia-of-course/) who did over 20 years in prison for murder onto their faculty. As was said on O'Reilly last night, the left is off the hook in this country.

When was the left ever on the hook? Liberals are nothing but a bunch of mentally challenged retards. Liberalism is a mental disorder ...

I won't say everyone on the left are brain dead. There are several dems who are conservative as well. The ones that are brain dead are the liberals!

Novaheart
04-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Actually, Nova is outraged by a laundry list of people who earn paychecks from public and publicly funded private colleges.

Ivan van Sertima (deceased, Princeton)
Angela Davis (UC Santa Cruz retired)
Len Jeffries (City College of New York)
Frances Cresswell (Howard University visiting, St Elizabeth's Hospital staff psychiatrist retired)
Armando Navarro (UC Riverside)
feel free to add to this list

linda22003
04-12-2013, 01:41 PM

I have no control over who Columbia hires. If I had any kind of relationship with Columbia I'd be able to vote with my donations or something comparable, but I don't.

JB
04-12-2013, 04:28 PM
I don't need to "defend" the school, or have any opinion about Santorum's appearance.OK but in your post you were giving that impression.

The school can have him or not as it chooses.True, but he is being held to a different standard than other speakers. That's why the thread was started. Liberal speakers, regardless of their radical views, won't need the signed permission slips.

He's obviously starting his 2016 campaign, which will probably be a repeat of 2012. :rolleyes:Irrelevant to the story and yes, he has no chance in 2016, so what. If he's starting his campaign, so be it. It has nothing to do with the university's ridiculous stance that students need permission slips to hear him speak.

Acknowledge the double standard for crying out loud and stop defending it.

linda22003
04-12-2013, 05:49 PM
OK but in your post you were giving that impression.

True, but he is being held to a different standard than other speakers. That's why the thread was started. Liberal speakers, regardless of their radical views, won't need the signed permission slips.

Irrelevant to the story and yes, he has no chance in 2016, so what. If he's starting his campaign, so be it. It has nothing to do with the university's ridiculous stance that students need permission slips to hear him speak.

Acknowledge the double standard for crying out loud and stop defending it.

I don't know what they've asked of other speakers.

Rockntractor
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
I think Linda's clock has been cleaned.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/BigBenES0908_468x347_zps27f512f7.jpg (http://s686.photobucket.com/user/upyourstruly/media/BigBenES0908_468x347_zps27f512f7.jpg.html)