PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have gout cures

Rockntractor
04-24-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm sure I don't have it because I'm not near old enough yet, but if any of you old people have gout cures let me know.
And I know there are old people here because everybody goes to bed at 9:00.

patriot45
04-24-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm sure I don't have it because I'm not near old enough yet, but if any of you old people have gout cures let me know.

I think you have to drink pee. I'm not a doctor but I heard it on the internet so its true.

SarasotaRepub
04-24-2013, 09:03 AM
:rotfl::rotfl:

txradioguy
04-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Funny you should mention this. Just did a late night run to the ER because I thought I'd broken my toe.

Nope...gout.

Doc put me on an anti inflammatory called Indomethacin. Been on that for almost four days now and I've gone from barely being able to take a step to walking and moving like nothing had ever happened.

Certain weight loss pills...taking to much tylenol and not having enough Vitamin C are some of the causes.

Also if you take vitamins that are high in Niacin it can cause it too.

Rockntractor
04-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Funny you should mention this. Just did a late night run to the ER because I thought I'd broken my toe.

Nope...gout.

Doc put me on an anti inflammatory called Indomethacin. Been on that for almost four days now and I've gone from barely being able to take a step to walking and moving like nothing had ever happened.

Certain weight loss pills...taking to much tylenol and not having enough Vitamin C are some of the causes.

Also if you take vitamins that are high in Niacin it can cause it too.
Thank you, I will call my doctor and ask about that medication, I'm trying a few home remedies but the pain has been extreme and I'm using a cane which I am much to young for.

txradioguy
04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Thank you, I will call my doctor and ask about that medication, I'm trying a few home remedies but the pain has been extreme and I'm using a cane which I am much to young for.

They gave me crutches...first time I've ever had them...and I found out I'm not coordinated enough to use them.

But seriously...within 48 hours of using that anti-imflammatory the ER folks gave me I was mobile and relatively pain free. This morning I got out of bed and actually considered for a moment running for PT this morning but didn't want to violate my profile. They've got me taking it three times a day.

Rockntractor
04-24-2013, 03:10 PM
They gave me crutches...first time I've ever had them...and I found out I'm not coordinated enough to use them.

But seriously...within 48 hours of using that anti-imflammatory the ER folks gave me I was mobile and relatively pain free. This morning I got out of bed and actually considered for a moment running for PT this morning but didn't want to violate my profile. They've got me taking it three times a day.

You ought to have a 250 pound billy goat stomp on your foot while you have it, it made me cuss when I got my breath back.

txradioguy
04-24-2013, 03:15 PM
You ought to have a 250 pound billy goat stomp on your foot while you have it, it made me cuss when I got my breath back.

No I wasn't that crazy. I just limped my way through a JROTC awards banquet in my Class A's.

But you're right...the pain from this does take your breath away.

Rockntractor
04-24-2013, 03:21 PM
As painful as it was to put on I have some heavy duty steel toe boots with a steel tongue cover, I ended up wearing those because the dogs and goats and everybody said, look at that swollen foot, let's stomp the fuck out of it!

Adam Wood
04-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I was diagnosed with gout about three years ago. I don't remember what they gave me for medication (whatever it was, it was pretty mild), but I do remember the instructions that they gave me, which struck me as odd. I was told specifically to stay away from anything with cranberry in it, be that cranberry sauce like with Thanksgiving dinner, or any variety of cranberry juice. I was also told specifically to drink lots of the cherry-flavored seltzer water that you can get in bottles at the grocery store. I haven't the foggiest of ideas why I was told that, but I did it, and I have to admit that it did clear up in a couple of days doing that.

Adam Wood
04-24-2013, 03:54 PM
They gave me crutches...first time I've ever had them...and I found out I'm not coordinated enough to use them.I'm convinced that crutches were invented by Torquemada. We should use those instead of waterboarding in order to get terrorists to talk.

Rockntractor
04-24-2013, 04:36 PM
I was diagnosed with gout about three years ago. I don't remember what they gave me for medication (whatever it was, it was pretty mild), but I do remember the instructions that they gave me, which struck me as odd. I was told specifically to stay away from anything with cranberry in it, be that cranberry sauce like with Thanksgiving dinner, or any variety of cranberry juice. I was also told specifically to drink lots of the cherry-flavored seltzer water that you can get in bottles at the grocery store. I haven't the foggiest of ideas why I was told that, but I did it, and I have to admit that it did clear up in a couple of days doing that.

I'm glad you mentioned that, I drink the hell out of cranberry juice.

noonwitch
04-24-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you are supposed to cut down or stop eating cheese. I know I heard it somewhere, probably either from my mom, the RN or from a news show. Or my late grandpa-he used to get all these newsletters from the Mayo Clinic.

patriot45
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm glad you mentioned that, I drink the hell out of cranberry juice.

So I take it the pee thing didn't work?! :friendly_wink:

Oh crap my bad! I just read on the internet that drinking pee is bad for the grout!

It is caused by elevated levels of uric acid in the blood

Most uric acid dissolves in blood and travels to the kidneys, where it passes out in urine

Don'r drink pee.

southernlady
04-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Husband has gout...diagnosed in his mid 40's so it's not just OLD people (okay, depends on how you define OLD people!). He was given Colchicine for it.

Gout is caused by having higher-than-normal levels of uric acid in your body. This may occur if:

Your body makes too much uric acid
Your body has a hard time getting rid of uric acid

If too much uric acid builds up in the fluid around the joints (synovial fluid), uric acid crystals form. These crystals cause the joint to swell up and become inflamed.

The exact cause is unknown. Gout may run in families. It is more common in men, in women after menopause, and those who drink alcohol. People who take certain medicines, such as hydrochlorothiazide and other water pills, may have higher levels of uric acid in the blood.

The condition may also develop in people with:

Diabetes
Kidney disease
Obesity
Sickle cell anemia and other anemias
Leukemia and other blood cancers

The condition may occur after taking medicines that interfere with the removal of uric acid from the body.

It's a type of arthritis.

Hubby has lost almost 130 lbs....and his gout has receded. He no longer needs the medication for it.

Rockntractor
04-24-2013, 09:21 PM
So I take it the pee thing didn't work?! :friendly_wink:

Oh crap my bad! I just read on the internet that drinking pee is bad for the grout!

Don'r drink pee.

Yep, I have come to the conclusion it is because I am full of shit, or pee anyway.

Rockntractor
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Husband has gout...diagnosed in his mid 40's so it's not just OLD people (okay, depends on how you define OLD people!).
I think it is obviously a mistake, we shouldn't be catching this until at least 70.

Rockntractor
04-24-2013, 09:54 PM
I read that cherry juice will stop gout attacks and keep them away, so I go to the store and they have no fresh cherries or cherry juice.
They had cranberry cherry juice and dehydrated cherry juice infused cranberries, so I buy a gallon and a half of the juice and a bag of the cherry cranberries.
Adam tells me in the thread they told him absolutely no cranberries with gout........... I drank a half gallon of the cranberry cherry juice and half the bag of cranberries already so now I can hardly walk, crap!!

NJCardFan
04-24-2013, 10:02 PM

Odd because cranberry juice is good for your urinary tract. You might want to look into lactalose which help you rid your body of toxins. IIRC gout is caused by high levels of uric acid in your system.

Rockntractor
04-25-2013, 11:40 PM
The doc gave me diclofenac sodium, pain is almost gone and I can walk.

Retread
04-25-2013, 11:48 PM
First guy I ever knew with gout was no more than 40.

I haven't went to bed before 11 pm since I retired. More often closer to midnight.

Rockntractor
04-25-2013, 11:55 PM
First guy I ever knew with gout was no more than 40.

I haven't went to bed before 11 pm since I retired. More often closer to midnight.

This was just a special guest appearance of old age, I probably won't have a relapse for another 25 years, Now if you'll excuse me I have to go donate to the poor.

Adam Wood
04-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Odd because cranberry juice is good for your urinary tract. You might want to look into lactalose which help you rid your body of toxins. IIRC gout is caused by high levels of uric acid in your system.I thought it was strange too, but I didn't really get into it with the doctor at the time (I had just gone to a doc-in-a-box because I was in horrible pain and it was 7:00 at night). At that point, I was in so much pain that I didn't care what they had to say, so long as I got some relief.

As it turned out in the end, gout was the least of my problems. I actually had a genetic (in my case; there are lots of causes, but we've pretty much determined that mine was genetic) condition known as avascular necrosis, which is a fancy way of saying that all of the cartilage in my hips was gone and the tops of my femurs were effectively dead tissue, so my femurs were grinding directly into my pelvis with each step. One hip replacement done, and another on the way, I'm much better today, but the pain caused me to not sleep for a year. I'm not kidding. But even that pain, as bad as it was, wasn't nearly so debilitating as the pain I had from gout in my left knee.

I have, however, gone from not quite 6'1" to 5'8". :blue:

ETA: FWIW, gout appeared to me just after my 39th birthday.

SaintLouieWoman
04-27-2013, 12:32 AM
I'm glad that I read this. My doc annoys me so much by keeping his patients waiting hours and hours in the waiting room that I started going to the physician's assistant. I think what I need to do is just change docs.

The PA told me to take cranberry tablets to prevent UTI's. And he told me to increase the water pills for the blod pressure. No wonder I still feel bad. A German lady who works at Mote Marine with me told me to get pure cherry juice and drink lots and lots of it. Think I'll give it a try.

Of all the places for gout to settle, last year it hit my right index finger. I could barely use the computer. I take allopurinol, which has helped but had a flareup last week. I was bad and had a tiny amount of clams and scallops and the week before that some crab cakes. I paid for it. My foot was swollen this time and I could hardly walk.

Believe me, I feel your pain, Rock.

Be careful with certain veggies. They thought initially the gout surfaced because of all the asparagus I was eating. It's very inexpensive down here and I was OD'ing on asparagus several times a day. I also no longer eat spinach or mushrooms, also high in puric acid. Bacon also is a problem, along with most shell fish. Life isn't as much fun now. Drat.

Rockntractor
04-27-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm glad that I read this. My doc annoys me so much by keeping his patients waiting hours and hours in the waiting room that I started going to the physician's assistant. I think what I need to do is just change docs.

The PA told me to take cranberry tablets to prevent UTI's. And he told me to increase the water pills for the blod pressure. No wonder I still feel bad. A German lady who works at Mote Marine with me told me to get pure cherry juice and drink lots and lots of it. Think I'll give it a try.

Of all the places for gout to settle, last year it hit my right index finger. I could barely use the computer. I take allopurinol, which has helped but had a flareup last week. I was bad and had a tiny amount of clams and scallops and the week before that some crab cakes. I paid for it. My foot was swollen this time and I could hardly walk.

Believe me, I feel your pain, Rock.

Be careful with certain veggies. They thought initially the gout surfaced because of all the asparagus I was eating. It's very inexpensive down here and I was OD'ing on asparagus several times a day. I also no longer eat spinach or mushrooms, also high in puric acid. Bacon also is a problem, along with most shell fish. Life isn't as much fun now. Drat.

Well this settles it, it hits young people too.
I have lot's of dried cherries I'm munching on. hopefully they work so I don't have to take the medicine again after this flair up is gone.

Rockntractor
05-15-2013, 02:16 AM
Do not ever take aspirin for a gout attack!
Do not ever take aspirin for a gout attack!!!!
What was I thinking, acetylsalicylic acid.

RobJohnson
05-15-2013, 05:24 AM
I take allopurinol, which has helped but had a flareup last week..

Many people on maintenance drugs such as allopurinol which is a low cost generic, also have other medication on hand for flare ups. There also is a very popular name brand drug COLCRYS which often has a high co-payment or requires prior authorization from the insurance company that many people have good results with. http://www.colcrys.com/default.aspx (This of course is not medical advice) (PS: The link has a free 7 day trial card for the drug)

I work with a guy that is 60, on his feet for 10 hours a day, with over an hour commute to work. He had a bad flare up last week in his toe and could hardly walk. It was hard not to cry just watching the guy. A couple years ago when he first found out he had gout, his leg locked up and he could not move.

When I was a kid I was always told my relatives that had gout received it from drinking too much beer. :biggrin-new: