PDA

View Full Version : Pope Francis says wasting food is like stealing from the poor

Rockntractor
06-05-2013, 11:15 PM
By Josephine McKenna in Rome

8:20PM BST 05 Jun 2013

The pontiff dedicated his weekly audience in St Peter’s Square to the United Nations World Environment Day to draw attention to the excesses of consumerism and food wastage.

“This culture of waste has made us insensitive even to the waste and disposal of food, which is even more despicable when all over the world, unfortunately, many individuals and families are suffering from hunger and malnutrition,” the Pope said.

“Once our grandparents were very careful not to throw away any leftover food. Consumerism has led us to become used to an excess and daily waste of food, to which, at times we are no longer able to give a just value.

“Throwing away food is like stealing from the table of the poor and the hungry,” he said.
Read More>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/10101375/Pope-Francis-says-wasting-food-is-like-stealing-from-the-poor.html

I don't feel that it is stealing from the poor but I do think waste is wrong, I can't stand to see anything wasted.

NJCardFan
06-05-2013, 11:49 PM
He'd have a heart attack if he came by the prison. Pardon the pun but the amount of food wasted there is criminal.

JB
06-06-2013, 03:11 AM
Blame big gubmint. You can't even make a few lasagnas, freeze them, and drop them off at a shelter anymore.

RobJohnson
06-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Blame big gubmint. You can't even make a few lasagnas, freeze them, and drop them off at a shelter anymore.

True.

NYC is a good example. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/19/bloomberg-strikes-again-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/

Odysseus
06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
This only makes sense if you assume that the poor have a right to the food. No one is obligated to give their surplus to the poor, it is done because one chooses to do so. Unlike, say, government squandering of tax dollars, which we do have a right to see spent intelligently, or not at all, the poor do not have a claim on the surpluses of those who created them.

noonwitch
06-06-2013, 09:36 AM
American mothers have been telling this to their children for decades now, to try to get them to eat their vegetables.

Starving children in Africa would give anything to eat those brussell sprouts, so be thankful for what you've got!

Odysseus
06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
American mothers have been telling this to their children for decades now, to try to get them to eat their vegetables.

Starving children in Africa would give anything to eat those brussell sprouts, so be thankful for what you've got!

My parents tried that on me when I was a kid. I asked to be excused for a second, then got an envelope with a stamp, came back to the table and started stuffing the offending food into it (I think that it was some sort of veggie burger, my mom was a health food nut before it was fashionable). When my parents saw this, they demanded to know what I was doing, and I said that if those African kids wanted it that much, then I would mail it to them.