PDA

View Full Version : George Zimmerman wants ‘inflammatory terms’ banned from trial

Elspeth
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/george-zimmerman-wants-inflammatory-terms-banned-trial-163405912.html

“Profiled”

“Vigilante”

“Self-appointed neighborhood watch captain”

“Wannabe cop”

Murder suspect George Zimmerman’s defense team wants these “inflammatory terms” banned from the opening statements of his trial. Jury selection begins on Monday.

“Some of these terms are disparaging, inappropriate, and if used in trial would serve only to unfairly prejudice the jury by eliciting unfounded connotations and unfair emotional responses,” defense attorney Mark O’Mara wrote in a motion to the court.

Prosecutors say Zimmerman, a volunteer crime watchman in his Sanford, Fla., neighborhood, profiled, pursued and fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in February 2012. Zimmerman, a licensed gun carrier and part-time criminal justice student, says he fired in self-defense after being attacked and beaten.

The request also asks that prosecutors be prohibited from using these phrases during opening statements:

“He got out of the car after the police (or dispatcher) told him not to.”

“He confronted Trayvon Martin.”

Motions seeking to limit evidence in a trial is not uncommon, but they seldom target phrases or characterizations.

“They are trying to head off anything that would already suggest to the jury that this guy is indeed guilty and you have not even heard the evidence yet,” said John Teakell, a veteran Texas defense attorney. “It’s a good move by the defense, and I can understand why they did it given all the publicity.”

Judge Debra S. Nelson has not yet ruled on the motion. She recently ruled defense lawyers, in their opening statements, would not be permitted to mention pictures of drugs and guns found on Martin's cellphone.

Zimmerman, 29, could face life in prison if convicted.

djones520
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I feel sorry for how this man has gotten railroaded. I really hope justice prevails here.

Elspeth
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
I feel sorry for how this man has gotten railroaded. I really hope justice prevails here.

Me too. Just remember:

“He got out of the car after the police (or dispatcher) told him not to.”

“He confronted Trayvon Martin.”

These are both untrue.

1. Zimmerman was already out of the car and running when the dispatch officer asked him if he was going after Trayvon and told him they didn't need for him to do that. (This should be banned as a misrepresentation of the facts)

2. Zimmerman never got to "confront" Trayvon. Trayvon ran off and Zimmerman had stopped running already--he obeyed the dispatch's orders. If anyone confronted anyone, it was Trayvon who returned to confront Zimmerman after Zimmerman lost sight of him.

The fact that Zimmerman's defense wants these statements banned means that the prosecution plans to lie about the facts. I'd be heading the prosecution off at the pass too.

LukeEDay
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
If they are not allowing the thugs pics (well recent pics that didn't portray him as an innocent little child who wouldn't hurt a fly), then they should also not allow those terms.

noonwitch
06-06-2013, 06:04 PM
I think that the prosecution should avoid the first four words or phrases listed. They shouldn't make statements in the opening argument that can't be backed up with evidence during the actual trial phase.

I actually feel bad for George at this point. I don't know if he's guilty of manslaughter or not, but I'm pretty sure he's not guilty of 2nd degree murder. I hate it when people are tried and found guilty in the media before they get a trial. And I don't express my opinion here in Detroit. Or on facebook, where my coworkers can read it. I did get my 13 year old niece to think twice about it, though, when I pointed out to her how NBC covered up the evidence of the head bashing George took, though.

ralph wiggum
06-06-2013, 06:14 PM
I think that the prosecution should avoid the first four words or phrases listed. They shouldn't make statements in the opening argument that can't be backed up with evidence during the actual trial phase.

I actually feel bad for George at this point. I don't know if he's guilty of manslaughter or not, but I'm pretty sure he's not guilty of 2nd degree murder. I hate it when people are tried and found guilty in the media before they get a trial. And I don't express my opinion here in Detroit. Or on facebook, where my coworkers can read it. I did get my 13 year old niece to think twice about it, though, when I pointed out to her how NBC covered up the evidence of the head bashing George took, though.

This is exactly the reason why I didn't go to law school, which I definitely considered. The logic involved is ass-backwards.

NJCardFan
06-06-2013, 06:18 PM
The shame of it is, not matter what. George Zimmerman is not going to be found not guilty. They know that if this happens, the riots will be legendary. IMO the threats of riots is terrorism and the court and jury is going to allow terrorism to rule the day. This is not what our justice system is all about. The animals in L.A. got their way when OJ was found not guilty even though he was guilty as hell. Now they're going to have an innocent man found guilty all in the name of skin color. Zimmerman is white. The race baiters and the media saw to that. This is a black/white issue and the blacks are going to forgo justice just to get back at "the man". Welcome to Obama's America. Where social justice trumps actual justice.

Rockntractor
06-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm surprised that 'white' wasn't listed as objectionable.

Elspeth
06-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Getting the Facts Straight in the Zimmerman Case (http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/06/getting_the_facts_straight_in_the_zimmerman_case.h tml)

Looks like Jack Cashill either read the many timelines on the Zimmerman phone call to non-emergency dispatch, or, like me, did his own transcription of the tape.

He gives some good background:

Late Sunday night, February 26, 2012, George Zimmerman sat down in front of Sanford Police Department (SPD) detectives and wrote out in longhand his own account of the shocking incident that had just left him rattled and bloody. Zimmerman, who writes well, began with some useful background information: in August 2011, his neighbor's house had been broken into while she was home with her infant son. The neighbor barricaded herself and her child in a bedroom and called 911.

The SPD quickly responded, and the intruders fled. Zimmerman's wife Shellie saw them fleeing and "became scared of the rising crime." Zimmerman promised that he would do what he could to keep her safe. One result was that he and some of his neighbors at the Retreat at Twin Lakes formed a Neighborhood Watch Program.

Although technically "a gated community," the Retreat imploded after the Florida real estate bubble burst. By 2012, townhouses were selling for less than $100,000, fifteen percent were vacant, more than half were being rented, and fewer than half of the residents were white.

Trayvon Martin had been staying with his father's girlfriend, Brandy Green, who rented one of the units. Martin had gone to a neighborhood 7-11 that evening and left the store at 6:29. Zimmerman spotted him near a shortcut entrance to the Retreat about 7:05. The 7-11 is about a 10-minute walk from that spot. Do the math.

At 7:09:34, after spotting Martin, Zimmerman called the non-emergency number the SPD had given him. He described "a male approximately 5' 11" to 6' 2" casually walking in the rain and looking into homes."....