PDA

View Full Version : Lost 2 Colleagues Today

NJCardFan
06-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Killed in a motorcycle accident. According to news reports, they were speeding and hit a car. Another co-worker was injured but didn't hit the car as they swerved to avoid it. These were good men but it goes to show that if you're going to ride one of these things, do it responsibly. http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9148700 Here they are:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/998598_10151568249993585_1861625094_n.jpg

RobJohnson
06-23-2013, 06:29 AM
How sad. Sorry about your the loss of your coworkers.

Two days before father's day a friend of mine lost a coworker that was on a bike. An older lady (mid 80's) cut him off. What makes the story worse, his son was on the back of the bike, airlifted to Peoria, IL....and later did not make it.

marv
06-23-2013, 11:40 AM
That's why I want four wheels on the ground, and steel all around me. My apologies to the bike lovers on this board, but that's just me.

DumbAss Tanker
06-23-2013, 12:21 PM
That's why I want four wheels on the ground, and steel all around me. My apologies to the bike lovers on this board, but that's just me.

I'm with you on that one. Went through a phase with bikes in my mid-20s which I managed to survive without major injury, finally decided the downside outweighed the upside.

Odysseus
06-23-2013, 12:25 PM
My condolences.

Novaheart
06-23-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't know if this is the appropriate place for my comment, but I'll risk it.

Members of my family have enjoyed motorcycles for a long time. My dad's first bike was an Indian and when I was a kid we had a 1920's Harley that he kept in the house until my mother put her foot down. My aunt and uncle bought a Suzuki dealership in the 1970's and we have had Japanese bikes ever since.

I have had a collision with a car when I was on my Kawasaki in SF. I was in the wrong.

I see these bumper stickers, "Look Twice Motorcycles Are EVerywhere". Yes , they are. And every time I am on First Avenue South (one way, three lanes, many intersections but few lights and no stop signs) and see two teenagers or twentysomethings doing a multi block wheelie , or racing, or simply a solo seeing how fast he can accelerate from Pasadena Avenue to 58th Street... I think about those bumperstickers, the portrayal of the biker as victim, and the waste of young lives who slam into the sides of Crown Victorias or get slammed because someone can't possibly calculate how fast a motorcycle is approaching when you never know if he's going to let off at 40 MPH or gun it and go for 100 MPH.

You can get killed on a Vespa, but it seems to me that most of the fatalities are on these Japanese racing bikes. These bikes aren't even designed for comfort or grace like a Sportster or a Yamaha Virago. They aren't designed for distances like a big Honda Goldwing or the newer Suzuki Burgman. They are designed for adult men (and select women) who think like adolescent boys.

NJCardFan
06-23-2013, 12:47 PM
No, you're not inappropriate Nova. You are right on the money. With all of the warnings for drivers to look out for bikes, I can't tell you how many times I've seen bikes weave in and out of traffic or who go speeding down my street and worse yet, who remove the baffle from their mufflers and feel it necessary to gun their engines at midnight. Many bikers, IMO, tend to be arrogant and cocky with little regard to safety. It boggles the mind when I see bikers not wearing a helmet. I don't see the speeding in hogs like Harley's or similar bikes but these crotch rockets, most who have these ride them like they're in a race and then something like this happens. Like I said, these were good men but irresponsible in this case.