PDA

View Full Version : Food Stamp spending doubles from 2008.

JB
06-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Barry, you incredible failure. Or success, depends on who you ask I guess:

Food Stamp Issue Derails Farm Bill as Recipients at Record High (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/food-stamp-issue-derails-farm-bill-recipients-record-150015885.html)

...the number of U.S. citizens receiving this benefit, at 47.7 million as of March of this year, exceeds the entire population of Spain, the sixth-most-populous country in the European Union.

Enrollment in SNAP has soared by 70% in the past five years; the U.S. shelled out a record $74.6 billion on the program in 2012, more than double what was spent in 2008...

...the rise in food-stamp recipients can also be traced to rules with roots in former President Bill Clinton's sweeping 1996 welfare overhaul. <portions snipped>Billy, Barry, Democrats...how in the hell have we managed to survive.

The worst part is, the clownshoes Hussein has been president during a recovery and he still can't make anything happen. Worse unemployment numbers than when Bush was dealing with a recession.

We have really lowered the bar in this country.

Rockntractor
06-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Food debit cards, entirely different thing, now you can directly buy booze with them instead of selling stamps and buying booze with the proceeds.
Plus you can hold head high saying I got credit card instead of demeaning stamps.

RobJohnson
07-01-2013, 04:46 AM
The people with the EBT cards carry them like a badge of honor.

I always overhear people asking "do you take EBT here?"

I've seen a few receipts in which the card holders had over $1000 banked on the card, as the receipt shows the reaming balance. Many of these people have someone else raising their kids, and they are just claiming the kids as dependents. I would like to see the benefit expire if it's not used in the month it is issued.

Zathras
07-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Here in California, the EBT card also doubles as a kind of an ATM card for your welfare payments. I had one for about a month after my unemployment ran out last year (just the food stamp part) and couldn't buy alcohol with it. You can use it to buy alcohol if you have cash on the card if the merchant takes the card. It also lets you use ATMs to access your money in your account. The option was there to take the money but I didn't take it...I felt bad enough taking what I did. I still have $158 on the card and have been using it to buy donations for care packages for our troops overseas....might as well put it to good use while I still have money on it.