PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Cops Perform Armed Robbery While Wearing Badges

Artois
07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
A photograph snapped by a citizen and distributed to the media led to the arrest of two police officers who allegedly robbed and assaulted two citizens last week, Detroit Police Chief James Craig said Monday.

The two men one a sergeant and 20-year veteran of the Detroit Police Department; the other holding the same rank in St. Clair Shores allegedly wore their badges around their necks and drew their department-issued pistols on July 21, when police say they robbed two men at an east-side gas station. One of the victims was assaulted, Craig said.

LINK (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130729/METRO01/307290052/Craig-explain-arrests-Detroit-St-Clair-Shores-cops-today)

Artois
07-29-2013, 05:59 PM
There's certainly very good people working in law enforcement with the Detroit Police. I know quite a few who are there, because they love the action and want to make a difference.

That being said, the agency it's self is an absolute mess. I'm not sure of a major police department in the developed world which can compete with it for the level of trouble they've been caught up in.

ReinMan
07-29-2013, 07:01 PM
... I'm not sure of a major police department in the developed world which can compete with it for the level of trouble they've been caught up in.

So how does this apply to the city of Detroit? :evil-grin:

Artois
07-29-2013, 07:42 PM
So how does this apply to the city of Detroit? :evil-grin:

By it's self, I certainly wouldn't include it.

noonwitch
07-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Only one was a Detroit cop, the other was a St. Clair Shores cop.

The Detroit cops are too few in number, these days. Not that it's an excuse, but every big city has some element of corruption in it's police department. Anybody ever get pulled over in Chicago? The cops shake motorists down for bribes.

djones520
07-30-2013, 10:09 AM

The Detroit cops are too few in number, these days. Not that it's an excuse, but every big city has some element of corruption in it's police department. Anybody ever get pulled over in Chicago? The cops shake motorists down for bribes.

I've had that happen to me, but in Kyrgyzstan. Cop pulled a tour bus over that we were on, thinking he was about to get rich. When he found out it was full of American military personnel, he wisely let us go on our way.

You expect that type of things in that part of the world. Not here in the US...

Odysseus
07-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Oh. That's very different.
http://preaprez.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

I'll say this for NYC, the police are the most honest that I've seen in any major city. The politicians are utter pervs, but that's a different issue.

Artois
07-30-2013, 03:26 PM

He was a former Detroit Cop, who went through the Detroit Police Academy with the active Detroit Cop; so I left it like that. For a long time Detroit was hiring criminals on a regular basis, and placing badges on them. Not referring to just poor hr policies, but actually hiring known gangsters.

You're right though, people are people, including those in law enforcement. I'm still amazed at the tacit approval of officers shaking motorists down over reporting traffic tickets. I've heard the practice actually defended in SC, as a way of saving the state money by allowing officers to supplement their meager incomes. Not sure how common that really is though, or if its still practiced.