PDA

View Full Version : Reza Aslan, a Muslim, writes about Jesus, liberal media is outraged at Fox

RobJohnson
07-30-2013, 12:32 PM
"You're a Muslim, so why did you write a book about the founder of Christianity?"

That's how Fox News anchor Lauren Green kicked off an interview last week for "Spirited Debate" with religious scholar and bestselling author Reza Aslan. Aslan's new book,"Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth," posits that Jesus Christ was a political insurgent and looks at his affect on the unstable times in which he lived.Green, however, was not so interested in the content of the book. What she wanted to talk about was the bias and possible secret agenda that she implied had fueled Aslan's interest in the subject of Jesus.

"Well, to be clear," Aslan replied after Green's question led him to make the international sign for "are you effing kidding me?" with his eyebrows. "I am a scholar of religions with four degrees, including one in the New Testament, and fluency in biblical Greek, who has been studying the origins of Christianity for two decades who also just happens to be a Muslim."

Green's Mensa-worthy next move: "It still begs the question though, why would you be interested in the founder of Christianity?"

Perhaps sensing (correctly) that this could continue for the entire segment, he points out it's "a little bit strange that instead of debating the arguments in the book, we are debating the right of the scholar to write it."

But Green doesn't find it strange, so she presses on, reading negative reviews of the book -- in particular, one that appeared on FoxNews.com, in which John S. Dickerson complained that it "is not a historian's report on Jesus. It is an educated Muslim's opinion about Jesus -- yet the book is being peddled as objective history on national TV and radio."

Later, Green suggests that a Muslim writing about Jesus "would be like a Democrat writing about Ronald Reagan."

Video of the interview at link. (http://social.entertainment.msn.com/blogs/post--fox-news-anchor-doesnt-get-why-reza-aslan-a-muslim-would-write-about-jesus)

Novaheart
07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
There should still be a bounty on his head and riots in foreign capitals.

RobJohnson
07-30-2013, 05:34 PM
One problem with the book it questions the virgin birth of Christ. Of course it's a bestseller now.

Artois
07-30-2013, 05:47 PM
One problem with the book it questions the virgin birth of Christ. Of course it's a bestseller now.

Interestingly enough, I was under the impression that the muslim faith officially recognizes the virgin birth.

Elspeth
07-30-2013, 06:57 PM
There should still be a bounty on his head and riots in foreign capitals.

Nah. He learned from Rushdie. Attack Islam, spend your life barricaded behind private security waiting for your bullet. Attack Christianity, the Pope ignores you and prattles on about feeding the poor and accepting responsibility for one's neighbor.

Artois
07-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Nah. He learned from Rushdie. Attack Islam, spend your life barricaded behind private security waiting for your bullet. Attack Christianity, the Pope ignores you and prattles on about feeding the poor and accepting responsibility for one's neighbor.

Pretty remarkable distinction.

noonwitch
07-31-2013, 10:37 AM

Is he attacking Christianity? Or is he just looking at it from an outsider's perspective? I haven't read his book, so I don't know.