PDA

View Full Version : American Men Almost 6x More Likely Than Women to Be Killed by Lightning

Elspeth
07-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Do guys just like standing in thunderstorms?

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/american-men-almost-6x-more-likely-women-be-killed-lightning

Lightning strikes in the United States are almost six times more likely to kill a man than a woman, according to recently released data from the federal Centers for Disease Control.

The CDC did not explain why males are so much more likely than females to be killed by lightning.

The CDC looked at deaths by lightning in the 43 years from 1968 through 2010. It found that during that period the annual number of Americans killed by lightning was on a downward trend, with the annual number of men being killed declining 78.6 percent and the annual number of women being killed declining 70.6 percent...

Rockntractor
07-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Maybe the lightning is attracted to objects were there is electrical activity.

Elspeth
07-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Maybe the lightning is attracted to objects were there is electrical activity.

Are you saying you're a live wire? :friendly_wink:

linda22003
07-31-2013, 08:33 AM
The phrase "too dumb to come in out of the rain" comes to mind.
Really, though, a lot of the men are likely golfers who just want to try to finish this round....

djones520
07-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Really, though, a lot of the men are likely golfers who just want to try to finish this round....

Watched Caddyshack lately?

RobJohnson
07-31-2013, 09:29 AM

Golf was my first guess.

Odysseus
07-31-2013, 09:58 AM
We had a hard-as-nails major when I was a lieutenant who was struck by lightning during an FTX. My first thought was that the lightning didn't have a chance. That major retired as a one-star. The lightning fizzled out. :biggrin-new:

djones520
07-31-2013, 10:05 AM
We had a hard-as-nails major when I was a lieutenant who was struck by lightning during an FTX. My first thought was that the lightning didn't have a chance. That major retired as a one-star. The lightning fizzled out. :biggrin-new:

I saw a video of a guy who got struck twice withing a few minutes, and still managed to get up and walk away. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it.

Artois
07-31-2013, 04:40 PM
I saw a video of a guy who got struck twice withing a few minutes, and still managed to get up and walk away. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it.

If you're referring to the rather infamous one that made the web a few years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjI8AxZnrx8 It was consider a hoax after being investigated by many people.

patriot45
07-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Golf was my first guess.

Yeah, that and fishing! Golf clubs and fishing poles = Lightning rods!

Artois
07-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Yeah, that and fishing! Golf clubs and fishing poles = Lightning rods!

Didn't read the article, but I'm guess those two along with a higher propensity for being outside in adverse weather conditions explains the difference.

Odysseus
08-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Didn't read the article, but I'm guess those two along with a higher propensity for being outside in adverse weather conditions explains the difference.

Or being the last immortal standing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoOa-Fz2kw

noonwitch
11-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Women don't tend to do roofing work in the rain while drunk.

Odysseus
11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Women don't tend to do roofing work in the rain while drunk.

Or sober. My wife would have me on the roof if she thought that it needed repairs, despite the fact that I know nothing about roofing, and am perfectly capable of hiring a contractor to do it.

marv
11-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Or sober. My wife would have me on the roof if she thought that it needed repairs, despite the fact that I know nothing about roofing, and am perfectly capable of hiring a contractor to do it.

You need a long, long talk with your wife, Ody.