PDA

View Full Version : August 6th 1945...Honshu Island, Japan

txradioguy
08-06-2013, 01:50 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/30/article-1165768-015727D3000004B0-958_468x351.jpg

On Monday, August 6, 1945, at 8:15 a.m., the Atomic Bomb "Little Boy" was dropped on Hiroshima by an American B-29 bomber, the Enola Gay, flown by Paul Tibbets,[15] directly killing an estimated 80,000 people. By the end of the year, injury and radiation brought total casualties to 90,000140,000.[16] The population before the bombing was around 340,000 to 350,000. Approximately 69% of the city's buildings were completely destroyed, and another 7% severely damaged.

Bailey
08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
What's sad that pretty much what detroit looks like today

noonwitch
08-06-2013, 02:07 PM
What's sad that pretty much what detroit looks like today

Except Detroit has been that way long enough that there are trees and stuff growing out of the ruined factories.

NJCardFan
08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
And the left laughably apologizes to Japan every year. More than likely, had Germany not surrendered, someplace like Hamburg or Essen would have been nuked as well.

Bailey
08-06-2013, 03:56 PM
And the left laughably apologizes to Japan every year. More than likely, had Germany not surrendered, someplace like Hamburg or Essen would have been nuked as well.

I always love this chestnut "They were going to surrender anyway", there is no proof that they were going to surrender at all.

Novaheart
08-06-2013, 04:24 PM

I disagree with those who cry "war criminal" at the US for dropping the bomb. However, I don't think it's a stretch to think that it was easier to drop nuclear bombs on the Japanese than our cousins the Germans. Despite not being alive during WWII, I was raised in a culture which taught children that the Japanese were unlike Europeans, that they had no regard for human life.

ReinMan
08-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I disagree with those who cry "war criminal" at the US for dropping the bomb. However, I don't think it's a stretch to think that it was easier to drop nuclear bombs on the Japanese than our cousins the Germans. Despite not being alive during WWII, I was raised in a culture which taught children that the Japanese were unlike Europeans, that they had no regard for human life.

The part emphasized would be true, they had no regard for human life, if the 'human' happened to be a 'gaijin.'

POWs captured by the Japanese were treated abominably, first for the egregious dishonor (in their eyes) of allowing themselves to be captured instead of killed, and second because 'Western barbarians' were only barely human, by their estimation.

This, from a culture that brought us the rape of Nanking, the Bataan death march, and more recently, school girls panties in vending machines.

Bravo, Japan!

As for the fallacy that 'Japan was about to surrender', and the war was almost over; when planning the invasion of the Home Islands, the military made an order of Purple Heart medals in anticipation of a certain amount of casualties.

Because they did not have to attack the Home Islands, they are still issuing Purple Hearts from that stockpile to this day...

NJCardFan
08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
The part emphasized would be true, they had no regard for human life, if the 'human' happened to be a 'gaijin.'

POWs captured by the Japanese were treated abominably, first for the egregious dishonor (in their eyes) of allowing themselves to be captured instead of killed, and second because 'Western barbarians' were only barely human, by their estimation.

This, from a culture that brought us the rape of Nanking, the Bataan death march, and more recently, school girls panties in vending machines.

Bravo, Japan!

As for the fallacy that 'Japan was about to surrender', and the war was almost over; when planning the invasion of the Home Islands, the military made an order of Purple Heart medals in anticipation of a certain amount of casualties.

Because they did not have to attack the Home Islands, they are still issuing Purple Hearts from that stockpile to this day...

You are spot on. What most people don't know is that the Japanese actually fed on Allied POW's when food got scarce. There's a book called Hidden Horrors by Yuki Tanaka is about the cannibalism. As for Japan getting ready to surrender, this is a farce. Quite the opposite. Everyone from the military to civilians were preparing for an Allied invasion and they were all willing to fight to the death. There's a reason why they were finding old Japanese soldiers on islands unaware the war was over still fighting. These people had no quit.

SarasotaRepub
08-06-2013, 08:41 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/t1e1rry/NukeEmFromOrbit.jpg

Hey, you knew someone was gonna post it...

Sonnabend
08-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Whenever this comes up my reply is the same: The Japanese were allied with the Nazis, and two atomic bombs were dropped on Japan to end a war they started.

Adam Wood
08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I disagree with those who cry "war criminal" at the US for dropping the bomb. However, I don't think it's a stretch to think that it was easier to drop nuclear bombs on the Japanese than our cousins the Germans.Of course it was easier. Time only goes in one direction in this universe, so it would have been rather difficult to retroactively nuke Germany after they had surrendered.

You do understand that the only reason Japan was nuked in August of 1945 was because we didn't have the bombs ready any sooner, right?

Despite not being alive during WWII, I was raised in a culture which taught children that the Japanese were unlike Europeans, that they had no regard for human life.That culture, that teaching, came as a direct result of a lot of fighting men who returned from places like Iwo Jima and Tarawa who had seen with their own eyes entirely too much that the Japanese had no regard for human life.

Zathras
08-07-2013, 12:19 AM
I weep more for the losses we suffered getting the bomb to Tinian than for the population of Hiroshima....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMl1NbR0h_A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)

Retread
08-07-2013, 12:31 AM
http://www.theodora.com/wfb/photos/japan/hiroshima_peace_memorial_museum_hiroshima_pref_jap an_photo_jnto.jpg

NJCardFan
08-07-2013, 01:45 AM
I weep more for the losses we suffered getting the bomb to Tinian than for the population of Hiroshima....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMl1NbR0h_A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)

This is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. Even though Spielberg embellished the story a bit, the story of the U.S.S. Indianapolis is nothing short of amazing. Bad enough they were torpedoed but to have to deal with sharks made it even worse.

txradioguy
08-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Whenever this comes up my reply is the same: The Japanese were allied with the Nazis, and two atomic bombs were dropped on Japan to end a war they started.

And in the end, while the loss of life was tragice, dropping those bombs saved lives on both sides.

The War Department estimated at least one million casulties for our side alone if we'd tried to take the home islands by force. And the Japanese had already shown they'd contest every grain of sand with their last breath throughout the island hopping campaign.

Intersting tidbit, IIRC we were still using Purple Heart medals made for Operation Downfall, the invasion of Japan through 2005. That's how many were made in anticipation of massive casulties.

Sonnabend
08-07-2013, 10:55 PM
To quote from Babylon 5 when discussing an invasion "Any invasion force will soon find itself up to its neck in blood...its own.."

Invading Japan would have been Stalingrad to the nth power.