PDA

View Full Version : Thursday!

DarkScribe
06-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Got lots of rain yesterday, which the lawn desperately needed, thank goodness. Looks like we're in that hot and muggy summertime pattern...woohoo!

TOTD: What type of BBQ do you like? Homemade or restaurant? Both? Personally, I have never made a homemade style but have experimented with mixing or adding stuff to sauces, spice rubs, etc, but want to do more of that. I prefer marinated or spice-rubbing the meat first....then adding a little spicy BBQ sauce while the meat is on the grill. I think the whole BBQ controversy to be fascinating (Texas style, Kansas City style, North Carolina style, etc etc). Shannon makes a terrific over-baked boneless BBQ pork-ribs...yummy! (Homemade BBQ sauce too, I might add) I love places like Sonny's BBQ...all you can eat yumminess!

LibraryLady
06-12-2008, 08:15 AM
It's hot, humid and may rain here today. No swimming, the pool is being treated.:(

TOTD: I just love bar-b-que. I had been around pretty traditional Texas style and when we moved to Fort Bragg, NC and I was served the "grey mush" I was horrified. Now I would pay big bucks for a plate of that. I learned to LOVE it.
I don't like it floating in sauce, a good sauce doesn't need to be that prevalent.
I even like a brisket tossed in a slow cooker and left all day with a good bottled sauce. yumm

(it is kind of early in the day to talk about BBQ!!)

Junebug68
06-12-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm psyched cause this is my first day off in over a week - woo hoo!!!

Elspeth
06-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Looking pretty cloudy over San Diego. Our marine layer. But it's not quite 6am, so maybe this will get better.

biccat
06-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Severe thunderstorms, wind advisories, power outages, flooding, and tornados...

They had to close the local prison due to flooding, and the courthouse has been moved and is only hearing emergency issues. What the heck is with this state?

TOTD: Homemade, without a doubt. Being able to control what you eat and what flavors you get. Plus, it's a whole heck of a lot cheaper. My wife made some outstanding ribs & BBQ sauce over Memorial Day, I should get the recipe and post it here.

Gingersnap
06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
It's bright, clear and will stay in the 70s today. In fact, the entire forecast through Sunday looks pretty good. It's a good thing too because I've been feeding my plant habit by buying stuff on the way home from work so I have a bunch of hostas and some heather on standby. :)

TOTD: I prefer homemade BBQ sauce but a lot of bottled sauces are really good. I like Kansas City style BBQ best and Texas second. I'm with LL on the quantity. You just don't need it dripping off the meat.

Shannon
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
TOTD: I am not a big fan of BBQ.:eek:

Junebug68
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
TOTD: I just plain love bbq, especially pull pork. It's the best thing the cafeteria makes at work.

jendf
06-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Another hot, sunny day in Arizona. My sister and nephews are coming over after work to go swimming.

TOTD: Like Shannon, I'm not a big fan of BBQ.

linda22003
06-12-2008, 10:21 AM

Same here, but I can eat it a few times a year. I really don't care for the "North Carolina" style, which is sort of pre-chewed in consistency and vinegary.

patriot45
06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I have the same weather as you. The water temp in my pool is 92!

Funny you should ask! Home made of course and I just used a killer mop sauce last nite. Stubbs. It was lemony,limey with just the right amount of heat.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/vickywedding001.jpg

LogansPapa
06-12-2008, 01:50 PM

That's just cause you can't burn carbon twice. ;)

namvet
06-12-2008, 03:16 PM
im in the midwest. so we're having Tstorms and twisters all over. it now hot and muggy. which creates these storms.
TOTD: I eat BBQ out.

DarkScribe
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM

Commie! :p

DarkScribe
06-12-2008, 06:10 PM
I have the same weather as you. The water temp in my pool is 92!

Funny you should ask! Home made of course and I just used a killer mop sauce last nite. Stubbs. It was lemony,limey with just the right amount of heat.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/vickywedding001.jpg

You know, Pat, I started this TOTD just for you...and your great food pictures! ;)

Bubba Dawg
06-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Great Thread TOTD. I love BBQ.

First: Bar-B-Que is a noun, not a verb.

Second: Bar-B-Que is Pork.

Actually, I like to make it myself, but also I really enjoy eating 'BBQ' out. If they do it right, it's gooooooood.

My family ran BBQ restaurants for about 20 years. Real Pits. Real Bar-B-Que.

Dad was a PITMAN.

RIP SIR. Luvyameanit.

patriot45
06-12-2008, 06:55 PM
You know, Pat, I started this TOTD just for you...and your great food pictures! ;)

Haha, back atcha, here is eating and having a good book at the same time! lol
I was going to post it as a recipe, but its just grilled chicken.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/vickywedding003-1.jpg

DarkScribe
06-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Haha, back atcha, here is eating and having a good book at the same time! lol
I was going to post it as a recipe, but its just grilled chicken.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/vickywedding003-1.jpg

Damn that looks good! I am gonna BBQ some chicken this weekend, I think. Oh by the way, have you read Steve Alten before? I've read a few of his Megalodon books, pretty fun, easy reads. Actually met him once at a booksigning in St Augustine, seemed like a friendly dude.

patriot45
06-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Damn that looks good! I am gonna BBQ some chicken this weekend, I think. Oh by the way, have you read Steve Alten before? I've read a few of his Megalodon books, pretty fun, easy reads. Actually met him once at a booksigning in St Augustine, seemed like a friendly dude.

Yeah Ive read the Meg series, and this one is about Nessie. I've read Resurrection and Domain, I have to get his Goliath series yet. I read that they were trying to make Meg a movie, something like Jaws on steroids!

Gingersnap
06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Second: Bar-B-Que is Pork.

Beef brisket is absolutely BBQ, you spandex-wearing Commie. You eat mayo, don't you? :cool:

biccat
06-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Beef brisket is absolutely BBQ, you spandex-wearing Commie. You eat mayo, don't you? :cool:
What the hell is wrong with mayo? Are you some sort of communist or something :mad:

Shannon
06-12-2008, 10:22 PM

AND Ramen, I bet!!!:p

LibraryLady
06-13-2008, 10:10 AM

I like pork or beef BBQ and never knew it was a regional thing till I just read this:
Beef up your barbecue with Texas-style brisket (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25004722/)

Pork may be the preferred barbecue east of the Mississippi (think of the pork shoulder of the Carolinas and the ribs of Kansas City and Memphis), but in Texas beef is king especially beef brisket, which comes moist and smoky and tender enough to cut with a fork. (Not that any self-respecting Texas barbecue buff would use a fork.) Barbecued brisket is simultaneously one of the easiest and most challenging recipes in the world of barbecue. Easy because it requires only one main ingredient: brisket (even the rub is optional). Challenging because pit masters spend years learning the right combination of smoke (lots), heat (low), and time (measured in half days rather than hours) to transform one of the toughest, most ornery parts of the steer into tender, meaty perfection.

snip, recipe and other info at site

patriot45
06-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I like pork or beef BBQ and never knew it was a regional thing till I just read this:
Beef up your barbecue with Texas-style brisket (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25004722/)

snip, recipe and other info at site

Not all good bbq takes a lot of time. I can cook a 60lb whole piggy inthe chnese box, La caja china! So tender you can carve it up with a dinner plate.

Caja china (http://www.lacajachina.com/)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/8c439d4d.jpg