PDA

View Full Version : Ex-pope Benedict says God told him to resign during 'mystical experience'

Rockntractor
08-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Pope Francis's predecessor breaks silence to contradict explanation he gave to cardinals when he stepped down

Tom Kington in Rome
theguardian.com, Wednesday 21 August 2013 08.45 EDT

The former pope Benedict has claimed that his resignation in February was prompted by God, who told him to do it during a "mystical experience".

Breaking his silence for the first time since he became the first pope to step down in 600 years, the 86-year-old reportedly said: "God told me to" when asked what had pushed him to retire to a secluded residence in the Vatican gardens.

Benedict denied he had been visited by an apparition or had heard God's voice, but said he had undergone a "mystical experience" during which God had inspired in him an "absolute desire" to dedicate his life to prayer rather than push on as pope.

The German ex-pontiff's comments, which are said to have been made a few weeks ago, were reported by the Catholic news agency Zenit, which did not name the person Benedict had spoken to.

Read More>http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/21/pope-benedict-god-resign-mystical-experience

You decide, the world is changing rapidly.
Nothing surprises me anymore.

Novaheart
08-21-2013, 10:45 PM
If God had told you to jump in the lake would you have done it?

Novaheart
08-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Rockntractor
08-21-2013, 11:08 PM

Some times you remind me of a housefly.

Retread
08-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Some times you remind me of a housefly.

Nah, Horses (ass) fly. much more of a nuisance.

Rockntractor
08-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Nah, Horses (ass) fly. much more of a nuisance.

I guess he can be found hanging out around assholes.

Novaheart
08-21-2013, 11:15 PM
sheep fly?

Lanie
08-22-2013, 02:01 AM

I can't see God telling us to jump into a lake, walk on it perhaps.

RobJohnson
08-22-2013, 04:06 AM
Pope Francis does not like the job either.

noonwitch
08-22-2013, 09:48 AM

I can swim.