PDA

View Full Version : VIETNAM VETS SHUT DOWN JANE FONDA MOVIE SHOWING IN WELLSVILLE

Apocalypse
09-07-2013, 12:46 AM
WELLSVILLE
Moviegoers in Wellsville had a choice of two movies on Friday night, once they walked past a group of Vietnam veterans 20 strong.

The veterans, who were right around the corner from their American Legion post at the Grand Theater on North Main Street, were upset Jane Fonda was portraying former First Lady Nancy Reagan in the movie, "The Butler."

'These guys are Vietnam vets and when you are 18, 19 or 20 and you hear she is applauding planes being shot down ... and I don't know what is true and not true, but it burns in your mind," said Skip Merrick, one of the protesters. "One my my jobs (during the Vietnam war) was seeing the planes off and making sure they were back. When one plane did not come back in the order I sent them out ..."

(...)

The first five people to go to the 7 p.m. showing opted to see Grown Ups 2, a comedy, showing in the smaller theater upstairs.

Grand Theater owner Darren Jones said four people wound up seeing the 7 p.m. movie. The theater was dark for the 9 p.m. showing. Not one person bought a ticket.

"It's opening night here and my booking agency put it in because of the money it made during the opening weekend," said Jones. "I did have people call hoping we would show this movie. I knew it was about civil rights and I had no idea it was featuring Jane Fonda portraying Nancy Reagan, so I can understand the protest."

Protesters were stopped well before the theater by the Wellsville Village Police Department and veterans were told they were welcome to protest as long as they did not block the sidewalk.

Many cars passed by and honked in appreciation while the dinner crowd at Texas Hot, L'Italia, Beef Haus and Better Days also supported them as well as patrons going in and out of Fisher's Pharmacy.

Jones said, "I told my employees 'you have to respect these guys for standing up for something they believe in.' Also they are veterans and I support all veterans and their causes as everyone should."

Read more: http://www.wellsvilledaily.com/news/x511619524/Vietnam-vets-shut-down-Fonda-movie-showing-in-Wellsville#ixzz2eAv9IHfo

RobJohnson
09-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Good for them!

Lanie
09-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Good for them. Most people don't know about Jane Fonda and what she did.