PDA

View Full Version : Can it be a "fetus" after it's born?

Elspeth
10-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Apparently Associated Press thinks so.

AP Just Can't Bring Itself to Call Dead Baby Found in Bag at Victoria's Secret a 'Baby'
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/10/19/ap-just-cant-bring-itself-call-dead-baby-found-bag-victorias-secret-b

By now you've likely heard about the woman caught with a dead baby in her bag while shopping at a Victoria's Secret in Manhattan.

Despite revelations that Tiona Rodriguez suffocated her child shortly after its birth, the Associated Press refuses to call it a baby (emphasis added):

An autopsy of a fetus found in a teenage girl's shopping bag at a New York City lingerie store was inconclusive, and more tests will be needed to determine how the fetus died, the city medical examiner's office says. [...]

Preliminary reports from detectives suggest the fetus was born alive and possibly had been asphyxiated, but chief New York Police Department spokesman John McCarthy said that the case was still being investigated and that police were awaiting the medical examiners' determination of the cause of death. [...]

So, despite the preliminary reports that the baby was "born alive and possibly had been asphyxiated," the AP four times referred to it as a fetus.

According to the New York Daily News, "an autopsy revealed that her baby boy was born alive, nearly full term at eight months."

As such, Rodriguez might end up being charged with murder.....

noonwitch
10-23-2013, 01:48 PM
I don't get why a teenager is willing to be pregnant for 9 months then kill the baby after he's born instead of taking an exra 20 minutes to abandon the child at a hospital. I'm guessing it has to do with an extreme fear of parental reaction to the pregnancy, but damn, won't your parents be more pissed off about the murder charges?

NJCardFan
10-30-2013, 11:46 PM
I don't get why a teenager is willing to be pregnant for 9 months then kill the baby after he's born instead of taking an exra 20 minutes to abandon the child at a hospital. I'm guessing it has to do with an extreme fear of parental reaction to the pregnancy, but damn, won't your parents be more pissed off about the murder charges?

I'd think so.

Odysseus
10-31-2013, 07:05 AM

Maybe she's just a monster.

Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
Sent from my android.

Novaheart
10-31-2013, 11:39 AM

Given that the act against the baby is inexplicable, my mind went to why these young women allowed a security guard at an underwear store to look through their bags.