PDA

View Full Version : Madonna To Palin: No Tickets For You!

Gingersnap
10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Madonna: 'Palin Can't Come to My Show'
Tuesday, October 07, 2008

E-Mail Respond Print Share:

AP

Aug. 23, 2008. Madonna performs on stage at the premiere of her 'Sticky and Sweet' tour at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium in Wales.
Madonna is clearly not a fan of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

During the U.S. kickoff of her "Sticky and Sweet" tour at the Meadowlands in New Jersey on Saturday night, she shouted: "Sarah Palin can't come to my party. Sarah Palin can't come to my show. It's nothing personal," according to the New York Post's Page Six gossip column.

Well, that's it then. Without the all important geriatric-slut vote, Palin is finished. :rolleyes:

FOX (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,433825,00.html)

bijou
10-07-2008, 12:55 PM
How could she not want to see this woman gyrating her pelvis:

http://www.judiciaryreport.com/images/madonna-looking-rough-again.JPG

M21
10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, that's it then. Without the all important geriatric-slut vote, Palin is finished. :rolleyes:

FOX (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,433825,00.html) HAHA! Too funny.

GrumpyOldLady
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Why on earth would Govenor Palin want to go see Madonna?

Maddona's a used up, self absorbed, slut.

:rolleyes:

No loss for Govenor Palin.

LibraryLady
10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
when you're hot, you're hot

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/mccain/sarah-palin.jpg

And when you're not, you're not
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/mccain/madonna-nomakeup.jpg

Goldwater
10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Who was it who said Madonna was one of the biggest steps forward for feminism?

I would like to shoot that person very much.

Shannon
10-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Who was it who said Madonna was one of the biggest steps forward for feminism?

I would like to shoot that person very much.

Somebody actually said that? Ick.

Scarlet
10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
How could she not want to see this woman gyrating her pelvis:

http://www.judiciaryreport.com/images/madonna-looking-rough-again.JPG

I thought Madonna didn't have a Mom? Oh that's her! Silly me.:o
________
Xv920r (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV920R)

Cold Warrior
10-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Madonna, as a private citizen, can express whatever opinions she wants about Palin. For those who shape their artistic appreciation around their political beliefs, this may make a difference. If so, don't watch her or buy her albums. I'm sure this will dramatically affect her bottom line.

However, I, for one, think she is one of the finest popular artists of the latter half of the twentieth century. She revolutionized the solo woman performer's niche and combined some wonderful video with music. She was/is a true product of the MTV generation. While I first saw her in the "Like a Virgin" video, which was, for its time, extremely sexy and daring, my favorite is this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdgKCYIpC4

Sweet Sarah will be an interesting footnote in the history books while people are still watching and listening to Madonna.

JB
10-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Madonna, as a private citizen, can express whatever opinions she wants about Palin.No one disputed that.

Besides, I doubt very much that it's Madonna's call as to who can and who can not get into the Meadowlands with a valid ticket.

Shannon
10-07-2008, 06:04 PM

However, I, for one, think she is one of the finest popular artists of the latter half of the twentieth century.

She is a nasty whore.Her claim to fame was her ability to shock people. We got over her a long time ago. She never got over herself.

Cold Warrior
10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
She is a nasty whore.Her claim to fame was her ability to shock people. We got over her a long time ago. She never got over herself.

Based upon album sales, I would say that's probably not true. Divorce her of all politics, all social commentary, and "virginity," and simply listen to her albums. She has a wonderful voice.

Shannon
10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Based upon album sales, I would say that's probably not true. Divorce her of all politics, all social commentary, and "virginity," and simply listen to her albums. She has a wonderful voice.

I have listened to her albums. I even wore lace gloves.:p Then I turned 12.

LibraryLady
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
I was lucky enough to see Patty LuPone in Evita on stage. then I saw Madonna. Madonna sucked.

Watch it and weep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d01NpclvlE

Goldwater
10-07-2008, 06:26 PM

Shaaaaaanons right. She doesn't have the talent required to make it anymore once she ran out of tricks, she is reduced to sampling riffs and melodies out of other tracks to stay in the charts.

Elspeth
10-07-2008, 06:44 PM

No! Did you really wear the gloves?:D

(Completely gratuitous enjoyment from all this.)

Cold Warrior
10-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Was that when wearing one white glove was fashionable? :D

LibraryLady
10-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Memories of another has-been

Shannon
10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
No! Did you really wear the gloves?:D

(Completely gratuitous enjoyment from all this.)

And the lace hair thingies.:p

Shut up. Everybody my age did.:o

patriot45
10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Madonna, as a private citizen, can express whatever opinions she wants about Palin. For those who shape their artistic appreciation around their political beliefs, this may make a difference. If so, don't watch her or buy her albums. I'm sure this will dramatically affect her bottom line.

However, I, for one, think she is one of the finest popular artists of the latter half of the twentieth century. She revolutionized the solo woman performer's niche and combined some wonderful video with music. She was/is a true product of the MTV generation. While I first saw her in the "Like a Virgin" video, which was, for its time, extremely sexy and daring, my favorite is this one...

[
Sweet Sarah will be an interesting footnote in the history books while people are still watching and listening to Madonna.

You're a nut, I like Amy Winehouse music but I will admit I think she is a twit!!

Widen your horizons from Madonna and get into good woman artists, like Sade, or maybe Bonnie Raitt or Susan Tedeschi .

Sweet Sarah will be President while people say Madonna?Who?! (2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXaGQ15aFZk&feature=related

Cold Warrior
10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
You're a nut, I like Amy Winehouse music but I will admit I think she is a twit!!

Widen your horizons from Madonna and get into good woman artists, like Sade, or maybe Bonnie Raitt or Susan Tedeschi .

Sweet Sarah will be President while people say Madonna?Who?! (2012)

That's exactly the point. If you like Amy Winehouse's music (which I don't btw), why do you give a shit about her personal life. Her art is her music.

I like a lot of popular female artists, including Sade, Cindy Lauper, Annie Lennox, and Bonnie Tyler. What you, and other people here don't seem to get, is that unless the political views of an artist overly infringe upon their artistic work, e.g. Tim Robbins, then who cares?. For example, I can certainly appreciate The Boss and The Piano Man, even though they support the eevvviiiilllll Obama! :eek:

And, if you think Sweet Sarah will be president in 2012, I'll certainly take that bet. :D

Shannon
10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
CW, I don't care about her politics. I'm a Beatles fanatic. We all know what a hardcore conservative John was.:rolleyes: Her sluttiness aside, she's just not that talented. She never was. Her sluttiness is what made her famous.

LibraryLady
10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
CW, I don't care about her politics. Her sluttiness aside, she's just not that talented. She never was. Her sluttiness is what made her famous.

DITTO!......

expat-pattaya
10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with the majority.

I have no clue why she is making a statement about Palin at this time. Maybe because she IS on the downside of her career and any press is good press. Historically, she has not been a raving liberal by any means.

But she did have talent. There are lots of ways to measure talent. Some have great voices. Hers was good. Some have great dancing. She was good. Some write their own music. Not her.

Her talent was to take music written by someone else, figure out the pulse of the world and transform it to a show that turned people on. I admit as an amatuer musician I respect her for her abilities in show business. She walked the walk and talked the talk.

And I agree that Palin will probably be a footnote in 2050 while some people will still remember Madonna. Neither will last to 2100.

Lastly, who gives a darn about what show business people say? I really don't. Unless they do this crap onstage in which case I will not pay to see them. I pay for entertainment and their political views don't belong on stage with their show.

marinejcksn
10-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Stay in the UK baby. Score one for America in letting this heffer out to pasture overseas.:cool:

cat714
10-08-2008, 12:28 AM

I agree. Madonna is a used up old skank and has the intelligence of a celery stick.

On a different note, I wore the hair things and the bracelets. :D

cat714
10-16-2008, 04:18 AM
Well there's no man for Madonna.

Madonna and Guy Ritchie Getting Divorced (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,438185,00.html)

That's what you get, Madge, for being such a hateful and self-centered bitch. I hope Guy takes you to the cleaners.

Sonnabend
10-16-2008, 04:39 AM

Sarah Palin didn't have to run to Malawi and take someone else's child..she has five beautiful kids of her own.

Sarah Palin got to be Mayor and Governor on her own merits, all Madonna can do is be a slut...and these days she cant even do that properly.

Sarah Palin has been married to the same man for decades, Madonna changes her men more often than she changes her panties.

Sarah Palin is a dynamic, brilliant woman, Madonna is on the skids and on the way down

Sarah Palin has friends, Madonna has hangers on.

Sarah Palin has faith and Christ, Madonna has Kabbalah until she changes to some other trendy religion / fad / belief system / scam.

Sarah Palin, even if she is not elected to the VP office, will still be Governor of Alaska and will influence many places and people, all Madonna will do is "Best of" albums

Sarah Palin will build roads, Madonna's career is roadkill.

movie buff
10-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Aww, poor Palin!

Now, she won't get to see a hideous, cantankerous woman in her early fifties strutting around on stage, dressing and dancing like an 18 year old! sarc.

Odysseus
10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Was that when wearing one white glove was fashionable? :D
At the service academies, wearing one white glove at formations meant that you'd been caught doing something after lights out, alone. I always assumed that this was the message that Michael Jackson was sending, but not enough people knew the reference to get the joke.

CW, I don't care about her politics. I'm a Beatles fanatic. We all know what a hardcore conservative John was.:rolleyes: Her sluttiness aside, she's just not that talented. She never was. Her sluttiness is what made her famous.
She actually did some decent pop tunes when she started out, but she rapidly decended into a slutty persona that became a parody of femininity (especially after her Sex book), and now she's clearly passed her sell-by date. Her only remaining audience is the same gay crowd that flocks to Cher concerts.

Aww, poor Palin!

Now, she won't get to see a hideous, cantankerous woman in her early fifties strutting around on stage, dressing and dancing like an 18 year old! sarc.
The stupid thing about this is that Madonna's comment doesn't do anything for anyone. Palin probably wasn't interested in seeing her concert, and Madonna's fan base isn't likely to vote for the McCain/Palin ticket anyway. It's certainly not going to make her into a political heavyweight (can anyone see her hosting a debate? :rolleyes:), or change anyone's mind about anything. All this does is give Madonna a few seconds of controversy and attention, which, let's face it, is the only way that she can get any nowadays. It's just a desperation move by someone on the downward slide.

Jack Ryan
10-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Madonna who?

Sonnabend
10-17-2008, 05:17 AM
At the service academies, wearing one white glove at formations meant that you'd been caught doing something after lights out, alone. I always assumed that this was the message that Michael Jackson was sending, but not enough people knew the reference to get the joke.

Odysseus...did you forget "white glove inspections"? :D:D

Odysseus
10-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Odysseus...did you forget "white glove inspections"? :D:D

Nope. Different context. Besides, it's the rubber glove inspections that you have to worry about.:eek::D

Sonnabend
10-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Note to self: do not invite Odysseus to wash dishes....:eek:

Eyelids
10-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Bjork is better than Madonna.

Odysseus
10-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Note to self: do not invite Odysseus to wash dishes....:eek:
I'm more of a pots and pans kind of guy.

That's like saying that Yoko Ono is better than Cher. You're comparing seriously weird, inedible apples and sagging, overripe oranges that are well past their shelf-life.

Rebel Yell
10-17-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm more of a pots and pans kind of guy.

That's like saying that Yoko Ono is better than Cher. You're comparing seriously weird, inedible apples and sagging, overripe oranges that are well past their shelf-life.

Yeah, Madonna has reached the last leg of her career. Cher just ended hers a few years ago. Aging sex symbol whose last gasp is the gay male demographic. Such a sad way to go out, having drag queens dress like you and dance to your techno dance hits.

Eyelids
10-17-2008, 05:20 PM

Yea Bjork's a little over the hill now but she made some pretty incredible albums back in her prime. Albums Madonna couldn't even dream of making.

Odysseus
10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Yea Bjork's a little over the hill now but she made some pretty incredible albums back in her prime. Albums Madonna couldn't even dream of making.

It's not Bjork who's over the hill, it's Madonna. Bjork never did a whole lot for me. I've heard oddball pop stars singing in the upper ranges of canine hearing before and it's just not my thing. Sorry.

Molon Labe
10-17-2008, 07:42 PM

Bjork is arty and has some very good stuff, but it's appeal is narrow and will be short lived. I don't see how you can really compare the two, but being as objective as possible, a music artist who not only sets the pop culture trends in two different decades, but continues to have appeal in her third decade as Madonna suggests she is the better "artist".

Odysseus
10-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Bjork is arty and has some very good stuff, but it's appeal is narrow and will be short lived. I don't see how you can really compare the two, but being as objective as possible, a music artist who not only sets the pop culture trends in two different decades, but continues to have appeal in her third decade as Madonna suggests she is the better "artist".

Or that she's the more commercial one. Assuming that popularity equals quality is isn't necessarily valid. The obvious example is Barry Manilow, who writes the songs that make the whole world cringe, but he's outsold and outlasted a lot of acts that were clearly better.

Regardless, this isn't about Madonna's artistic value or Bjork's (or any other poptart's), it's about how Madonna, whose career is on the downward slide, is using political controversy to get attention that she can no longer command through her creative projects.

Molon Labe
10-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Or that she's the more commercial one. Assuming that popularity equals quality is isn't necessarily valid. The obvious example is Barry Manilow, who writes the songs that make the whole world cringe, but he's outsold and outlasted a lot of acts that were clearly better.

Regardless, this isn't about Madonna's artistic value or Bjork's (or any other poptart's), it's about how Madonna, whose career is on the downward slide, is using political controversy to get attention that she can no longer command through her creative projects.

It is commercial...true, but Manilow is in Vegas. He can't put an LP (showing my age) in the top 10 or create any new music even resembling something fresh.

Madonna simply thrives on controversy. Your point has merit in that I would not be surprised if her latest stunt isn't to generate headlines she can't achieve musically

Odysseus
10-18-2008, 02:33 PM
It is commercial...true, but Manilow is in Vegas. He can't put an LP (showing my age) in the top 10 or create any new music even resembling something fresh.

Madonna simply thrives on controversy. Your point has merit in that I would not be surprised if her latest stunt isn't to generate headlines she can't achieve musically

At least you didn't say 8-track. :D

Madonna is about ten years away from being where Manilow is now, in that she will soon be a niche act. Her appeal is almost entirely among people who came of age when she was innovating, and I don't see her appealing much to new fans. Can't you see her playing Vegas with a bunch of aging drag queens vogueing behind her as her audience sips the metamucil?

Sonnabend
10-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Isnt Bjork what the Swedish Chef says every week?

Odysseus
10-18-2008, 06:12 PM

In reruns, yeah. :D

Eyelids
10-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Just because you're an uncultured buffoon doesn't mean you should show it.

Goldwater
10-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Bjork pwns your brain.

Odysseus
10-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Just because you're an uncultured buffoon doesn't mean you should show it.
Since when is Bjork considered high culture? You keep assuming that anyone who doesn't share your taste in music, politics or pretty much anything else is lacking in sophistication. In fact, a lot of your musical choices are pretty pretentious, and most of us have grown past the need to validate ourselves through ostentatious displays of loyalty to pop brand names that will be forgotten in a few years. I find Bjork to be an overblown faux-artiste who has little to say, and since my hearing is confined to the normal human range, her atonal screechings leave me pretty cold. Frankly, she's another example of a celebrity who is trying too hard to shock, rather than just producing good music.
http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/Undressed_Oscars2004/Bjork_350x435.jpg

Bjork pwns your brain.
That would explain why he isn't using it.

Lager
10-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Do you think Madonna has ever said, "Hey, you wouldn't believe who I bjorked last night"?

Eyelids
10-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Since when is Bjork considered high culture? You keep assuming that anyone who doesn't share your taste in music, politics or pretty much anything else is lacking in sophistication. In fact, a lot of your musical choices are pretty pretentious, and most of us have grown past the need to validate ourselves through ostentatious displays of loyalty to pop brand names that will be forgotten in a few years. I find Bjork to be an overblown faux-artiste who has little to say, and since my hearing is confined to the normal human range, her atonal screechings leave me pretty cold. Frankly, she's another example of a celebrity who is trying too hard to shock, rather than just producing good music.
http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/Undressed_Oscars2004/Bjork_350x435.jpg

That would explain why he isn't using it.

Yeah its OK to not like Bjork, but you have to be living in a submarine to not even know of her.

Sonnabend
10-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah its OK to not like Bjork, but you have to be living in a submarine to not even know of her.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=j1KSaUEu_T4

Goldwater
10-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Hey, she isn't that bad, a lot of real experienced musicians and musical lecturers have a fondness for her. She is not commercial like Madonna (and thats only going to spur on fringe music listeners). How does Bjork attempt to shock people in the way that Madonna did in the 80s?

Eyelids
10-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Bjork wont just be forgotten in a couple years, shes been having a very successful solo career since 1995 with Post. She's fairly well established worldwide, all of her albums sell over a million copies.

AmPat
10-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Never heard of her, "Rig for silent running.":cool:

Sonnabend
10-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Bjork wont just be forgotten in a couple years, shes been having a very successful solo career since 1995 with Post. She's fairly well established worldwide, all of her albums sell over a million copies.

She's been forgotten now.

LibraryLady
10-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Her sales are declining:

1993 Debut Sales: 3,000,000+

1995 Post Sales: 2,510,000+

1997 Homogenic Sales: 2,241,000+

2001 Vespertine 2,000,000 +

2004 Medulla Sales: 1,000,000 +

2007 Volta 804,000+

Ree
10-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Bjork...never heard her 'music'....But I did recognize her from the dead goose dress

Ree
10-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Leave Barry alone....:mad:

:D

Odysseus
10-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Hey, she isn't that bad, a lot of real experienced musicians and musical lecturers have a fondness for her. She is not commercial like Madonna (and thats only going to spur on fringe music listeners). How does Bjork attempt to shock people in the way that Madonna did in the 80s?
Did you miss the roadkill dress?

Well, so long as it's okay to not like Bjork. For a second there, I thought that I was going to be sent to a reeducation camp. Oh wait, Obama may win, so I may yet be.

Leave Barry alone....:mad:
:D
Barry recently did his own attempt at shocking the vote by refusing to appear on the View (http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN1734188820070917)because they had one conservative co-host (out of four? five?). He's another leftist loon.

Eyelids
10-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Her sales are declining:

1993 Debut Sales: 3,000,000+

1995 Post Sales: 2,510,000+

1997 Homogenic Sales: 2,241,000+

2001 Vespertine 2,000,000 +

2004 Medulla Sales: 1,000,000 +

2007 Volta 804,000+

Well Post and Homogenic are definitely her best albums while Volta kinda sucked. Still, it takes one hell of an artist to rack up 5 straight albums that see over a million copies.

Eyelids
10-19-2008, 03:24 PM
She's been forgotten now.

Just so I can get a read on how out-of-touch you are:

Have you ever heard of PJ Harvey? Chan Marshall? Jenny Lewis?

lacarnut
10-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Well Post and Homogenic are definitely her best albums while Volta kinda sucked. Still, it takes one hell of an artist to rack up 5 straight albums that see over a million copies.

Madonna is a has been just like the Magic Negro will be after election night.:)

McCain for 4 & then Palin for the next 8.:D:)

Eyelids
10-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Madonna is a has been just like the Magic Negro will be after election night.:)

McCain for 4 & then Palin for the next 8.:D:)

WTF are you talking about?

Odysseus
10-19-2008, 04:31 PM

Or one hell of a marketing department.

Eyelids
10-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Or one hell of a marketing department.

You dont get one of those when you're signed to One Little Indian Records (like Bjork was).

Sonnabend
10-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Just so I can get a read on how out-of-touch you are:

Have you ever heard of PJ Harvey? Chan Marshall? Jenny Lewis?

Here is the room of the people that care

http://www.subcentral.ch/images/history/010117-raum_leer.jpg

Odysseus
10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
You dont get one of those when you're signed to One Little Indian Records (like Bjork was).

One Little Indian is distributed by Virgin Records. They have a great marketing department.

Eyelids
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
One Little Indian is distributed by Virgin Records. They have a great marketing department.

Bjork had good sales to begin with (Debut and Post) because the Sugarcubes got pretty big but Virgin doesn't really market for Distribution-only contracts.

LCD Soundsystem is one of the best new bands in the world right now and they're on DFA (distributed by EMI), ever heard of them?

Odysseus
10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Bjork had good sales to begin with (Debut and Post) because the Sugarcubes got pretty big but Virgin doesn't really market for Distribution-only contracts.

LCD Soundsystem is one of the best new bands in the world right now and they're on DFA (distributed by EMI), ever heard of them?

Nope, but then, I'm over 40, and married with two small children. At my stage of life, I have neither the time nor inclination to go clubbing and check out new bands, and those who continue to do so when they hit my age are pretty pathetic.

But, enjoy it while you can. Twenty years from now, you'll be wondering what that awful noise is coming from the club down the street. ;)

Eyelids
10-20-2008, 05:33 PM
LCD Soundsystem sounds more like the Velvet Underground than some nobody DJ mixing.

AmPat
10-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Now I remember, didn't he play tennis in the 70's?

No, wait! He was nominated for the Supreme Court?