PDA

View Full Version : Away from her friends on Fox,

LogansPapa
10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Palin folds like a cheap suit

KEVIN CULLEN

Thu, Oct 09, 2008

MEDIAWATCH:MIDWAY THROUGH her debate with Joe Biden, Sarah Palin began dropping her Gs and channelling Marge Gunderson, the plain-speakin', pistol-packin' pregnant police chief in Fargo.

Palin declared, in no uncertain terms, that she needn't answer questions put to her by the moderator, that Obama-lovin' Gwen Ifill, who works for the ultraliberal Public Broadcasting Service, or anybody else in the mainstream media. She was gonna talk straight to the American people.

It was great theatre, but in a Beckett-like absurdist way. It is a tried and true tactic of the American right to blame any and all their problems on the "mainstream media". They even have an acronym for it: MSM, as if it's some malevolent Chinese food additive. According to the right, the only place the American people can get fair and balanced news is from the likes of Fox, Rush Limbaugh, and the rest of the right-wing ideologues who clutter the airwaves on talk radio.

The truth is, Sarah Palin and John McCain should thank their lucky stars for the dreaded MSM because, aside from the aforementioned ideologues, it is only those members of the MSM who uphold minimal journalistic standards of fairness and relative objectivity who are looking at Palin these days for anything but a punchline.

Even some right-wing pundits have had the temerity to point out that the nice lady from Alaska is an empty suit. Peggy Noonan, Ronald Reagan's speechwriter, got into trouble with her fellow Republicans when, while commenting on McCain's cynical sop to the religious right, she described Palin's selection as "political bulls**t" into a TV microphone she didn't know was on. Noonan's dismissal of Palin as a serious politician in a Wall Street Journalcolumn after the debate was even more devastating, because it came with time for reflection, and after Noonan had withstood withering attacks from Republicans who accused her of aiding and abetting the enemy.

The McCain campaign is blaming the MSM for Palin's steadily sinking poll numbers. An interesting tactic, given that Palin's handlers have steadfastly refused to let journalists from that mainstream media question her. They are especially wary of letting newspaper reporters have a go at her. She has done only a few sit-down interviews with handpicked TV presenters.

One of the interviews, with Sean Hannity, a right-wing pundit on Fox, was cringe-inducingly obsequious, like watching Ryan Tubridy interview Jesus Christ.

The interview with Katie Couric, an avowed liberal who gets paid $15 million a year to read the news on CBS, shouldn't have been much harder for Palin, but Couric asked a couple of questions that required speaking beyond rehearsed talking points, and Palin folded like a cheap suit. Palin fumbled around like a child caught stealing biscuits. At one point, she rambled on for more than a minute in a stream of consciousness that sounded like a cross between a paragraph in Finnegans Wakeand Robert De Niro's last, apocalyptic words as he sank beneath the water's surface at the conclusion to Cape Fear.

So worried were Palin's handlers about how she'd perform in the debate that, just days before it, they launched a pre-emptive strike on Ifill, a widely-respected journalist who just happens to be black.

You know, like Barack Hussein Osama. Wink, wink.

The conservatives had a point: Ifill is writing a book called The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama, so she has a personal and financial stake in Obama getting elected.

But when Ifill was selected as moderator two months ago, she disclosed that she was writing the book, and no one complained then. Of course, McCain had not yet selected Tina Fey as his running mate. As it turned out, no one beyond the loony right-wing blogosphere suggested Ifill was anything but impartial during the debate.

It's sad but true that the mainstream media will carry on with the charade, all the way to November 4th, that Sarah Palin is a serious candidate, that she resonates with ordinary voters because she's just so gosh darn ordinary, even if the Republicans have no intention of letting said ordinary voters hear what she has to say in anything but a stage-managed interview. Objectivity is a beautiful thing.

It was beyond ironic, then, when Palin said she was taking the gloves off the other day and accused Obama of "palling around with terrorists".

As her indisputable source for this specious accusation, she cited none other than the New York Times, America's greatest newspaper, which she and the rest of the right constantly deride as a biased, bigoted mouthpiece of the liberal left.

Apparently, Governor Palin didn't read the article in its entirety, because the exhaustive piece concluded that Obama and William Ayers, who was a member of a violent radical group opposed to the Vietnam War, are acquaintances at best, and that Ayers became a respected professor of education after his radical youth.

In a media week when, aside from the more mundane news that the American economy is collapsing, it was all Palin, all the time, the best description of Sarah Palin's utter cluelessness about anything outside her own small, provincial Northern Exposureexistence came from a caller to a talk radio show, albeit a show not typical of the usual American talk radio fare.

National Public Radio's " On Point" is one of the more thoughtful call-in shows in America, and one caller told host Tom Ashbrook that after listening to the debate she had come to the conclusion that Sarah Palin is George Bush in a skirt.

No doubt, Governor Palin would find comfort in her belief that anyone who listens to NPR is a God-hatin', Obama-lovin' commie.

Kevin Cullen, who will be writing a weekly media column through the elections, is a columnist for the Boston Globe.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2008/1009/1223445617076.html

marinejcksn
10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
This made me laugh my ass off. Did he honestly refer to Ayers as a "Respected professor" and say the New York Times was "America's Greatest Newspaper"? This is typical hatred from a dimb-bulb lefty. And I don't even like the McCain camp, I didn't vote for McCain either.

Kevin Cullen, what a douche nozzle.

Cold Warrior
10-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Pretty accurate, pretty devastating. On a related note, CNN showed a clip of Palin this morning being interviewed by Hannity. And sitting right beside her was McCain. As it was simply a clip, I don't know if Hannity was interviewing both of them or McCain was just there to make sure she didn't say anything stupid. CNN didn't mention it either as the purpose of the clip was to illustrate Palin's position on something, not to point out that McCain was there. Then later today, I saw they were stumping in Ohio (I think) together. Does he ever let her go out on her own? Isn't this a problem for a campaign that's behind, as it effectively halves the area they can cover?

LogansPapa
10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Kevin Cullen, what a douche nozzle.

hehe :p

Rebel Yell
10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Pretty accurate, pretty devastating. On a related note, CNN showed a clip of Palin this morning being interviewed by Hannity. And sitting right beside her was McCain. As it was simply a clip, I don't know if Hannity was interviewing both of them or McCain was just there to make sure she didn't say anything stupid. CNN didn't mention it either as the purpose of the clip was to illustrate Palin's position on something, not to point out that McCain was there. Then later today, I saw they were stumping in Ohio (I think) together. Does he ever let her go out on her own? Isn't this a problem for a campaign that's behind, as it effectively halves the area they can cover?

Halves the area, but not the people. It's how McCain get's the crowd. Kinda like in the late 80's when I went to a Bon Jovi concert, to see Skid Row open.

LogansPapa
10-09-2008, 12:16 PM
If she wanted to have fun and show everyone she wasn’t just a posing doll, she’d go on SNL and parity Tina Fey. That would be gutty.

Zeus
10-09-2008, 12:16 PM
LP that article is chock full of erroneous information & given the availability of contrary info avail one has to assume out & out lies. If you have any integrity you should be embarrassed for posting it unless your reason for posting it was to high lite those lies.

LogansPapa
10-09-2008, 12:18 PM
If you have any integrity you should be embarrassed for posting it unless your reason for posting it was to high lite those lies.

No, I pretty much have no integrity. Well, that and it’s easy to put a bug up you guys asses. ;)

Gingersnap
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I just want to know when Americans suddenly became so preoccupied with our own version of the received pronunciation.

Last time I looked, nobody much cared if politicians, sports stars, entertainers, or assorted others mangled the language with their impenetrable accents and reliance on insider slang.

Dropping a g here or there hardly marks Palin as an illiterate savage who was raised by the few wolves she failed to shoot. :p

Zeus
10-09-2008, 12:33 PM
No, I pretty much have no integrity. Well, that and it’s easy to put a bug up you guys asses. ;)

No it doesn't bother me all that much anymore. The left has gotten to the point of dropping any pretense of truth,integrety or caring about anything but gaining power & control over everything & everyone, Although I will point that out time to time to their usefull idiots I'm willing to stand back & let them destroy themselves by showing exactly who they are & what they really think & Believe.

GrumpyOldLady
10-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Did he honestly refer to Ayers as a "Respected professor" and say the New York Times was "America's Greatest Newspaper"? .

Pretty pathetic, eh?

Ayers and Obama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfJ7YSXE5w)

So much for a 'respected professor'.

GrumpyOldLady
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Last time I looked, nobody much cared if politicians, sports stars, entertainers, or assorted others mangled the language with their impenetrable accents and reliance on insider slang.

SUre. One look at Obama tells us that.

His accent changes to the audience that he wishes to pander to.

One minute he sounds 'black', then highly educated, then white, then black again ...

All the while throwing in uh,um uh, uh uih, oh, er, uh.

LogansPapa
10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
No it doesn't bother me all that much anymore. The left has gotten to the point of dropping any pretense of truth,integrety or caring about anything but gaining power & control over everything & everyone, Although I will point that out time to time to their usefull idiots I'm willing to stand back & let them destroy themselves by showing exactly who they are & what they really think & Believe.

Does a failing economy have "any pretense of truth"? If so, why does your current president spend 2 minutes out in the Rose Garden to address it? And your candidate rush back to DC after "suspending" his campaign in a flurry of media psych, stand by like a silent ghost, and then dash back into his race when he’s got nothing to contribute?

People are coming to realise the Republican’s show, like their cute little gal, is just a cardboard cut-out.

SarasotaRepub
10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
The left has gotten to the point of dropping any pretense of truth,integrety or caring about anything but gaining power & control over everything & everyone, Although I will point that out time to time to their usefull idiots I'm willing to stand back & let them destroy themselves by showing exactly who they are & what they really think & Believe.

That's about the only reason I let LP and CW hang around here Zeus. :p:D

SaintLouieWoman
10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Palin was on her own throughout Florida this week. She and McCain both were interviewed by Hannity. She gave a good interview.

noonwitch
10-09-2008, 01:41 PM

I was flipping channels last night, and Hannity was interviewing them both. I didn't watch much of it, because I really hate Sean Hannity.
Wouldn't it be more fair and balanced if someone at FOX other than Hannity interviewed her once in a while? Like give Colmes a shot at it?
I have refrained from making mean Sarah Palin comments at this board, because I know a lot of posters like her. I like the lipstick color she wore at the debate, though. It would probably look good on me. My mom always said try to say one nice thing about someone you don't like, so there it is-actually, I can say two. Her kids are cute, especially Piper, the little girl. I noted at the convention, when everyone was hugging everyone in that fake, political way, Piper embraced John McCain like her was her grandfather. I found that to be endearing.

Constitutionally Speaking
10-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Does a failing economy have "any pretense of truth"? If so, why does your current president spend 2 minutes out in the Rose Garden to address it? And your candidate rush back to DC after "suspending" his campaign in a flurry of media psych, stand by like a silent ghost, and then dash back into his race when he’s got nothing to contribute?

People are coming to realise the Republican’s show, like their cute little gal, is just a cardboard cut-out.

They have AT WORST been ineffective in combating the influence of the Dems. Oil prices and bad mortgages were the genesis of this problem. BOTH are legitimately laid at the feet of the Dems.

Gingersnap
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
If she wanted to have fun and show everyone she wasn’t just a posing doll, she’d go on SNL and parity Tina Fey. That would be gutty.

Palin To Join Fey On Saturday Night Live?
The VP Candidate Says Comedienne "Is A Hoot," And Would Like To Appear Side-By-Side With Her On SNL

NEW YORK, Oct. 9, 2008

(AP) It seems like the inevitable comedic summit of this fall's presidential campaign: the real Sarah Palin coming on "Saturday Night Live" to meet her look-alike impersonator, Tina Fey.

"All in good time," said a cagey Lorne Michaels, longtime executive producer of NBC's "Saturday Night Live," which has been rejuvenated this fall by Fey's three skits as the Republican vice presidential candidate.

Michaels said on Wednesday he wasn't actively seeking Palin, but that the McCain campaign called after the first skit, when Fey's Palin appeared with Amy Poehler's Hillary Clinton on the show's Sept. 13 season premiere, to say they enjoyed it.

"Saturday Night Live" has a long history of political walk-ons. Michaels prefers keeping this sort of news a surprise until it happens, an opinion reinforced when word leaked that Barack Obama would be on that same show and the Democratic presidential candidate had to cancel at the last minute. "I think we looked stupid," he said.

There are three more first-run "Saturday Night Live" episodes before the election. Starting Thursday, NBC is also airing three prime-time editions of the show at 9:30 p.m. EDT.

Palin told reporters on Tuesday she'd love to appear on the show with Fey.

"I love her, she's a hoot and she's so talented," Palin said. "It would be fun to meet her, imitate her and keep on giving her new material."

Apparently, she does have "guts". :D

CBS (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/09/entertainment/main4511615.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_4511615)

LogansPapa
10-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Apparently, she does have "guts". :D

Outstand'en!:D

JB
10-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Well, that and it’s easy to put a bug up you guys asses. ;)So you're a troll?

Ban him.

Again.

Cold Warrior
10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
That's about the only reason I let LP and CW hang around here Zeus. :p:D

Damn! And all these years I thought it was because of my subtle wit and boyish charm!

Gingersnap
10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Damn! And all these years I thought it was because of my boyish wit and dubious charm!

Fixed! :p

megimoo
10-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Palin was on her own throughout Florida this week. She and McCain both were interviewed by Hannity. She gave a good interview.
The Republican party leadership are such Cowards .They should have turned Sarah lose a long time ago to call a spade a spade. She could have ripped this phony American a new a*hole and gotten away with it ..She has more guts and testosone than John MC Cain and the Muslem put together !

biccat
10-10-2008, 12:01 PM
No, I pretty much have no integrity.
I guess that explains why you're voting for Obama then.

LogansPapa
10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I guess that explains why you're voting for Obama then.

In 2012? Yeah. ;)

biccat
10-10-2008, 12:04 PM
In 2012? Yeah. ;)

No, in 2008. Again, I point to the fact that you have no integrity. Obviously your word isn't worth crap.

LogansPapa
10-10-2008, 12:21 PM
No, in 2008. Again, I point to the fact that you have no integrity. Obviously your word isn't worth crap.

Again, you dishonor the memory of my father - you’ll regret it.

AmPat
10-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I just want to know when Americans suddenly became so preoccupied with our own version of the received pronunciation.

Dropping a g here or there hardly marks Palin as an illiterate savage who was raised by the few wolves she failed to shoot. :p
The last DIMocRAT that the Left just loooovvveedddd had an accent that was second only to fingernails on the chalkboard, JFK. How they could attack Palin for hers is unbelievable.