PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you go to foodstamps?

Apache
05-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I was asked this today.

Why don't you go on EBT? You'll eat better and get more than you are now....

My Grandmother was a Depression Era "new wife"... What that means, I never got the chance to ask (she died in '89)....

Whatever happened to "tightening our belts"?
You can't afford chops? Peanutbutter will get you through. No money? Rice and beans.... my time? Top Ramen....

If you got it... spend it. If you don't? make it stretch...

What is so hard to understand?

Rockntractor
05-04-2014, 12:25 AM
I want my bama money too!

Apache
05-04-2014, 12:27 AM
I want my bama money too!

I can't... neither could you... :biggrin-new:

Chris
05-04-2014, 12:30 AM
I suppose coupons, sales, generic substitutes, and buying in bulk are too much trouble.

I bought $100 in groceries the other week. I walked out the door paying less than $60.

Rockntractor
05-04-2014, 12:33 AM
I can't... neither could you... :biggrin-new:
But bama he gots lots a money in his stash, he confiscated it from those rich Koch brothers!

SaintLouieWoman
05-04-2014, 12:38 AM
I suppose coupons, sales, generic substitutes, and buying in bulk are too much trouble.

I bought $100 in groceries the other week. I walked out the door paying less than $60.

It's a good feeling, isn't it, to slash those grocery bills? We spent about $30 at Publix today, and "saved" $24with coupons and sales. We also made our weekly trip to the Amish fruit and veggie store. For $25 we got our weekly stash of veggies, tasty and inexpensive uncured ham from the deli, braunschweiger (sp) for SR, jumbo eggs from Amish farms in Ohio, 2 lbs strawberries, fresh pineapple, etc.

I'd rather put in the effort than take anything from bama.

My son was starting his biz and a few years back was having a really tough time. I made the mistake of suggesting that he get some food stamps (I'm ashamed that I said it). He got angry with me and said he'd rather starve. I guess that I taught him too well.:biggrin-new:

NJCardFan
05-04-2014, 07:09 AM

My wife does this. I can honestly tell you that we have a good 3 month if not more food supply.

Dori
05-04-2014, 02:38 PM
My wife does this. I can honestly tell you that we have a good 3 month if not more food supply.

That's the way I do it too, because I hate shopping. Whenever I find something on sale I stock up on it. I always have stuff on hand and can throw a meal together. A lot of times I'll make enough for two dinners and freeze one.

longview
05-04-2014, 03:08 PM
I got a lot of pressure to use food stamps, sign the kids up for Medicaid, try for housing, and on and on back when my husband first got ill and then later.

My thinking was that it was there for those who needed it. I could, and did work. A lot. Was fortunate enough that I could often work jobs where I could have the kids with me, like housecleaning and ranch work.

Some people acted offended. I was told I was uppity in my thinking.

Tough. I chose my way. Others make different choices.

Apache
05-04-2014, 10:12 PM
I got a lot of pressure to use food stamps, sign the kids up for Medicaid, try for housing, and on and on back when my husband first got ill and then later.

My thinking was that it was there for those who needed it. I could, and did work. A lot. Was fortunate enough that I could often work jobs where I could have the kids with me, like housecleaning and ranch work.

Tough. I chose my way. Others make different choices.

Uppity, huh?

I've gotten that too...
How sad it is that you are frowned upon for doing the right thing...

Apache
05-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Coupons are too much trouble. Sales and generics I do often. Peanut butter and I are close friends once again....:cold:

At least I can hold up my head when I eat MY peanut butter because I'm not eating your steak. Things will change, they always do. I just wish they hurry up...:friendly_wink:

Dori
05-04-2014, 10:21 PM
At least I can hold up my head when I eat MY peanut butter because I'm not eating your steak. Things will change, they always do. I just wish they hurry up...:friendly_wink:

Do you cook?

Lanie
05-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I was asked this today.

Why don't you go on EBT? You'll eat better and get more than you are now....

My Grandmother was a Depression Era "new wife"... What that means, I never got the chance to ask (she died in '89)....

Whatever happened to "tightening our belts"?
You can't afford chops? Peanutbutter will get you through. No money? Rice and beans.... my time? Top Ramen....

If you got it... spend it. If you don't? make it stretch...

What is so hard to understand?

Some people don't have anything to stretch.

wasp69
05-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Bullshit.

noonwitch
05-05-2014, 02:40 PM
There is a lot of food assistance out there in the private sector, without going on the public dole, aka food stamps. Churches give out donated food, if you can get on the internet, you can find out the locations and hours. There are the Gleaners, who get donations of day-old bread and such from the local stores and gives it to the poor.

And, even the "government cheese" giveaways are not quite the same as food stamps. They come from USDA surpluss goods, and will spoil if they don't give them away. It's not the same as using a government-issued card to buy your food at a local store.

Dori
05-05-2014, 02:52 PM
There is a lot of food assistance out there in the private sector, without going on the public dole, aka food stamps. Churches give out donated food, if you can get on the internet, you can find out the locations and hours. There are the Gleaners, who get donations of day-old bread and such from the local stores and gives it to the poor.

And, even the "government cheese" giveaways are not quite the same as food stamps. They come from USDA surpluss goods, and will spoil if they don't give them away. It's not the same as using a government-issued card to buy your food at a local store.

How did the hundreds of millions of past Americans survive for centuries before foodstamps?

Evil_Conservative
05-05-2014, 05:13 PM
We're too rich for food stamps. Plus, I have too much pride. lol

Evil_Conservative
05-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Coupons are too much trouble. Sales and generics I do often. Peanut butter and I are close friends once again....:cold:

Find a coupon group in your area on FB (if you have FB) and see what they do for coupons and sale match ups. A lot of the time, you can get food for free or very, very little cost. It will help you a lot if you don't feel like doing coupon/sale matches yourself. I use my local coupon group often because I have gotten so lazy with my couponing.

If you don't have Facebook, you could go to a forum for coupons and great deals. I frequent WeUseCoupons.com.

Apache
05-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Find a coupon group in your area on FB (if you have FB) and see what they do for coupons and sale match ups. A lot of the time, you can get food for free or very, very little cost. It will help you a lot if you don't feel like doing coupon/sale matches yourself. I use my local coupon group often because I have gotten so lazy with my couponing.

If you don't have Facebook, you could go to a forum for coupons and great deals. I frequent WeUseCoupons.com.

I live in a small town, so coupons are a waste of time, for the most part...Sales and generics are the way to go, for me.

Apache
05-05-2014, 10:12 PM

You can always stretch... Where there's a will, there's a way. It's not always nice, but you can make it... My Grandma did!

noonwitch
05-06-2014, 10:28 AM
How did the hundreds of millions of past Americans survive for centuries before foodstamps?

Charity. The same way the homeless bums still survive. I see the Salvation Army food truck parked in Detroit's skid row areas almost every day, handing out hot meals. They're not the only group that does that, just the most easily identifiable one. There's a guy from my Saturday church who started a weekly BBQ/potluck for a poor neighborhood-he just shows up with his grill, people from the church show up with meat to grill or dishes to pass, and they feed the neighborhood. There are hundreds of things like that going on in every city, and probably always have been.

jediab
05-06-2014, 11:12 AM

The word I would have used instead of uppity is integrity.

SaintLouieWoman
05-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Charity. The same way the homeless bums still survive. I see the Salvation Army food truck parked in Detroit's skid row areas almost every day, handing out hot meals. They're not the only group that does that, just the most easily identifiable one. There's a guy from my Saturday church who started a weekly BBQ/potluck for a poor neighborhood-he just shows up with his grill, people from the church show up with meat to grill or dishes to pass, and they feed the neighborhood. There are hundreds of things like that going on in every city, and probably always have been.

That's what Bush advocated. Both Bushes talked about the benefits of volunteering and private charity. The help is done more effectively and more cost effective. If the government taxes the heck out of everyone so there isn't the disposable income to donate, along with the waste and abuse of all that money in the hands of the government, there isn't as much left to help.

It sounds like those charities in Detroit are doing it right.

Dori
05-06-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't agree with the food stamp program. That's an opportunity for too much abuse. There should be food banks available for the basics. I don't think anyone is going to scam the system for carrots and oatmeal.

Apache
05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
I don't agree with the food stamp program. That's an opportunity for too much abuse. There should be food banks available for the basics. I don't think anyone is going to scam the system for carrots and oatmeal.

They have (foodstamps) been made for abuse! When you can spend $87 on $12 worth of junk food bat a gas station??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I am old enough to remember the "books", where you had to tear out each denomination, to square the purchase... Notice, I did not say, pay...

For those who know, there was a stigma attached. Now. Now there is none...

Lanie, that was the way to get people off their asses to support themselves... Was it mean to do it?
Or is it meaner to keep fewer and fewer to move the load?

TRG...Wasp.... I remember Bridget.... Lanie is not Bridget! I know her, somewhat personally... Lanie. Is. Different.