PDA

View Full Version : Do you post pics of yourself on the web?

SaintLouieWoman
06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/nsa-harvesting-faces-times/2014/06/01/id/574442/?promo_code=r1huzyzg&utm_source=Conservative_Under ground&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphas e1

I got this on the newsfeed that we have on the right side of the home page. It points out a new facet of data collection by the NSA-----harvesting facial images. I never post pics of myself anywhere, not that I'm ashamed of how I look but because I'm a bug on privacy. I never post pics of the grandkids, although I have to admit they're the most adorable children in the world. :biggrin-new: I have framed pics of them all over the house, but not on the internet.

This is going well beyond fingerprints, and is what I call a true invasion of privacy. With this administration, I guess we no longer have the right to expect even a shred of privacy. If they justify this on the basis of defending against terrorists, then how do they on the flip side explain they're releasing 5 known, major terrorists from GITMO?

It's tough to understand what's going on in the US now. Maybe it's best to not understand, because if we really knew, we'd all be popping those Prilosec and other acid reducers. Oy!

noonwitch
06-02-2014, 05:23 PM
I only really post my profile photo on facebook, and occasional updates.

My nieces, on the other hand, are teens and are forever posting selfies. Nothing bad, they just have no concerns at all about doing so.

PS: I'm thankful that there was no internet when I was in college. There are photos of me from that time that I don't need my coworkers or clients to see-no nudity, just obvious drunkeness.

DumbAss Tanker
06-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Nope. There's a pic or two floating around out there, of course, which is virtually unavoidable unless you live in a bunker, 'way off the grid.

Retread
06-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Not a chance - but my youngest just hangs everything out there. And I can't talk her out of it.

Between her work, FB and Instagram.......

Rockntractor
06-02-2014, 08:06 PM
I had to quit because I kept getting hounded by beautiful young women and that woman got jealous.

ABC
06-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I had to quit because I kept getting hounded by beautiful young women and that woman got jealous.

In your fondest dreams pumpkin!!! :evil-grin:

As for me ...

Yes, back in the late 90's when I first got online and belonged to a writer's forum. We all did in those days, just to see what our fellow members looked like. It was safe to do so back then.

Now, I have a feeling that although I warned the grand-kids not to do so of themselves, nor of Mr. ABC and me ... that they do so anyway on FB. Aaaargh!

What can you do? I am not their mother.

~ ABC

Rockntractor
06-02-2014, 10:12 PM
In your fondest dreams pumpkin!!! :evil-grin:

~ ABC

Weren't the computers powered by steam then?http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/thinking/smileys-thinking-854927.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

ABC
06-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Weren't the computers powered by steam then?http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/thinking/smileys-thinking-854927.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Well darlin' let me tell you ...

Back then (1997 actually) when my son gave me his old computer, it had Win 3.1 on it ... and I was most eager to learn how to use the thing.. Bought myself 2 "Windows 3.1 for Dummies" books ... (Yikes! Such a title! :biggrin-new:)

One was a manual type thing, and the other was an 'exercise' book. Which was great, and I loved it!

Must tell you and all the youngsters in here, you have absolutely no idea how simple to use computers are these days!!! Back then we had to learn to use HTML tags to do just about everything. No just clicking on "color" "size" "font" "bold" etc. ... and to post images back then required tags which I can't remember at all at the moment.

Worst thing that I do remember ... was learning to use what was called "File Manager" ... it truly was something else altogether!

Enough already! Next question Grasshopper? :evil-grin:

~ ABC

SaintLouieWoman
06-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Well darlin' let me tell you ...

Back then (1997 actually) when my son gave me his old computer, it had Win 3.1 on it ... and I was most eager to learn how to use the thing.. Bought myself 2 "Windows 3.1 for Dummies" books ... (Yikes! Such a title! :biggrin-new:)

One was a manual type thing, and the other was an 'exercise' book. Which was great, and I loved it!

Must tell you and all the youngsters in here, you have absolutely no idea how simple to use computers are these days!!! Back then we had to learn to use HTML tags to do just about everything. No just clicking on "color" "size" "font" "bold" etc. ... and to post images back then required tags which I can't remember at all at the moment.

Worst thing that I do remember ... was learning to use what was called "File Manager" ... it truly was something else altogether!

Enough already! Next question Grasshopper? :evil-grin:

~ ABC

Now 3.1 is modern stuff. When I first started selling computers we were still using DOS. I had to take classes in it and hated it. I think that I decided back then that I didn't like computers. :biggrin-new: I'm still not a fan, not my favorite thing.

Dori
06-02-2014, 11:31 PM
All my old accounting programs were on DOS.

I loved them.

It's too easy to screw up quickbooks

And no, I don't post personal picks of myself or family. Never have, not going to start now.

ABC
06-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Now 3.1 is modern stuff. When I first started selling computers we were still using DOS. I had to take classes in it and hated it. I think that I decided back then that I didn't like computers. :biggrin-new: I'm still not a fan, not my favorite thing.

SLW, you are adorable, and gutsy to boot!

I only once had to use DOS when my computer came up with a dreadful virus, contacted HP at the time, who put me through to someone in India, paid $30.00 for the phone call ... could barely understand a word the guy said, but he was very patient and helpful ... and walked me through taking out "Windows" in order to fix it, and then replace all the files. Was a 2 glasses of Merlot job, that night let me tell you. :biggrin-new: But I did it!

Also, a note to Rock ...

Back in those days when I wanted more memory in my computer I took apart the housing on my CPU with a screwdriver, went to the nearest computer shop, bought some and added it to the motherboard myself!

How do you like those bananas, darlin? :evil-grin:

Oh Mercy! Enough patting myself on the back ... gotta get off this machine! See ya!

~ ABC

SaintLouieWoman
06-03-2014, 12:45 AM
SLW, you are adorable, and gutsy to boot!

I only once had to use DOS when my computer came up with a dreadful virus, contacted HP at the time, who put me through to someone in India, paid $30.00 for the phone call ... could barely understand a word the guy said, but he was very patient and helpful ... and walked me through taking out "Windows" in order to fix it, and then replace all the files. Was a 2 glasses of Merlot job, that night let me tell you. :biggrin-new: But I did it!

Also, a note to Rock ...

Back in those days when I wanted more memory in my computer I took apart the housing on my CPU with a screwdriver, went to the nearest computer shop, bought some and added it to the motherboard myself!

How do you like those bananas, darlin? :evil-grin:

Oh Mercy! Enough patting myself on the back ... gotta get off this machine! See ya!

~ ABC
My most frightening computer experience was at Scott Air Force Base. I was supposed to meet a rep from another company who represented a product for the same manufacturer that I represented, just a line that my company didn't carry. I only knew the basics of his scanner. I walked into what I thought was a casual meeting.

The other rep never showed, and I was bombarded with questions on both my product and his by a roomfull of AF techies. I don't know how I ever got through it!! I had been an English teacher and was never comfortable about technology. I could talk a good game and was honest enough to admit when I didn't know something and get back to them with the correct answers later. But I really was exhausted after that meeting. I still can recall the utter terror that day. :biggrin-new:

MstrBlue
06-03-2014, 08:49 AM
The only pic I know of, that *I* put up, is on my facebook page.
Even that, though, is more of a 'Kilroy' photo than my whole picture.

Now, what my kids have posted? Heaven knows!!

Big Dog
06-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Do you post pics of yourself on the web?

Yes. Pictures and video.

Here's one of me driving:

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag72/conscave/drivingdog_zpsa8c73a4f.gif

My grandpups threw me a birthday party:

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag72/conscave/birthdaydog_zpsa985e950.jpg

I made up for it by going out drinking later:

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag72/conscave/doglickingwater_zps7f8fb1d1.gif

Hawkgirl
06-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I do, I post a lot...but I'm starting to get uncomfortable about it....I think I'm going to taper off a bit and just post an occasional birthday or vacation pic.

linda22003
06-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Just in a small, closed family group on Facebook. I close down the privacy settings and don't post anything that would bother me if it "got out".

SaintLouieWoman
06-03-2014, 04:14 PM
I remember some time ago one of our members posted a pic of his wife and kids. Some sleaze bag lifted her pics and made a series of obnoxious changes on it and spread them all over the internet. The problem will be confounded if NSA does the facial recognition stuff with pics on the internet.

My son absolutely forbids me to ever post pics of the 2 little grandkids. I think they're so adorable at first I was upset, then I came to my senses and realized he was right. With so many nut jobs out there, who knows what people will do with your pics.

Unless they're cute pics of dogs driving a car like Big Dog's, that's alright. Those pics are adorable.

It's a shame what a sick world it is out there to take pictures innocently posted to be shared and to make something bad out of them. I personally don't want pics of my family or friends dragged onto some other site and ridiculed or altered.

Retread
06-03-2014, 04:35 PM
What's even worse SLW is the possibility that the shots still have the location data encrypted into the image and individuals can physically find the location. Ya wanta talk about targeting?

oldcoastie1
06-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Nope.

SarasotaRepub
06-03-2014, 06:19 PM
I have, I'm sure a lot of you have seen my gun photos
or my infamous CU Shooting Contest Loser pic...:biggrin-new:

SaintLouieWoman
06-03-2014, 06:32 PM
You can obviously see he doesn't listen to me. :biggrin-new:

Perilloux
06-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Yes. I've posted loads of pictures on my FB. Pretty much my entire extended family shares pictures on FB. We're spread out across the globe now & it's the most convenient way to share photos since we live so far apart. I can't imagine I've posted anything the NSA would be interested in.

Wibbins
06-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I don't have pictures intentionally posted, and the ones that I've been tagged in by friends and wedding pictures I make sure are set to private-friends only (not even friends of friends)

ABC
06-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Yes. Pictures and video.

Here's one of me driving:

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag72/conscave/drivingdog_zpsa8c73a4f.gif

Ooh! You handsome dog, you! :biggrin-new:

Well ... someone had to say it. Might as well be me!

~ ABC

ABC
06-03-2014, 08:10 PM

(Putting hand up, and waving frantically ...)

I did! I did!

Now, do I get extra points for that? :biggrin-new:

Oh ... was I supposed to comment on them as well?

Put them back up ... let me have another look. *snicker*

~ ABC

Rockntractor
06-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Just in a small, closed family group on Facebook. I close down the privacy settings and don't post anything that would bother me if it "got out".

Please be careful! It might bother me!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/halloween-peur/peur1r.gif

thundley4
06-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Anyone else watch Person of Interest? It sounds like the NSA wants to build a facial recognition data base of everyone in the country.

Hawkgirl
06-04-2014, 10:58 PM
I do have all the privacy filter, only friends can view my pics, not friends of friends. Also, I blocked a search that anyone from the internet can find me. Basically, I can control who I friend, I can't be found on a general search.

It's probably all BS though and I think it's smart to not post so much about yourself.

Retread
06-04-2014, 11:31 PM
There are links out there to my name re: papers I've co-authored over the last 45 years, meetings attended, etc. and just about anybody's address can be had with a knowledge of first and last name but, to my knowledge, no images of this handsome face are on the web.