PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers clash over euthanasia bill (Israel).

Lanie
06-10-2014, 11:13 AM
A day after Israeli ministers gave the go-ahead to a bill regulating assisted suicide for terminally ill patients, the country’s minister for senior citizens appealed the decision, saying he would work to “save the legal system from this pill of death.”

Senior Citizens Minister Uri Orbach (Jewish Home) submitted an appeal Monday to the Ministerial Committee for Legislation against the euthanasia bill approved Sunday by MKs Ofer Shelah (Yesh Atid) and Zahava Gal-on (Meretz).

The bill, passed Sunday by a majority vote in the Ministerial Committee for Legislation, states that a patient defined as “terminal” could be granted a prescription for a lethal dose of anesthetics, and the prescribing doctor could not be held criminally responsible.

The law would grant the patient a degree of choice and control over his life at the point at which the pain and suffering has become unbearable, according to Shelah.

Religious lawmakers have said they would oppose the measure and the legislation is expected to face an uphill climb toward Knesset approval

http://www.timesofisrael.com/lawmakers-clash-over-euthanasia-bill/#ixzz349lPiTt4

Lanie
06-10-2014, 11:15 AM
I was telling somebody the other day that even if I did think that euthanasia was ethical (which I don't), I don't believe it will stop there. I think it will move toward the elderly, mentally ill, and other things. Belgium has legalized it for children, which I think is crazy.

I know that Israel is typically more liberal leaning than we are, but I can't believe they did this.

SaintLouieWoman
06-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I was telling somebody the other day that even if I did think that euthanasia was ethical (which I don't), I don't believe it will stop there. I think it will move toward the elderly, mentally ill, and other things. Belgium has legalized it for children, which I think is crazy.

I know that Israel is typically more liberal leaning than we are, but I can't believe they did this.

I can't believe that they would do this either. I thought that their culture valued life more. Good find, Lanie.

This would be a frightening official stance of the US, but think it will be brought through the back door here, with that phone and pen thing. It also will be snuck in through Medicare and government insurance. All they have to do is not cover certain medical issues. Sarah Palin wasn't so crazy as depicted by Obama and crew when she talked about the death panels. They're coming to a town near you. Sad, frightening.

noonwitch
06-10-2014, 03:53 PM
There is a difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide. I support the latter, in cases of terminal illness only, but not the former.

Euthanasia does not involve the consent of the patient. It starts that slippery slope of other people deciding whose life is worthwhile and whose isn't. That leads to people like one of my mom's one-time coworkers, who after finding out that one of my uncles had cerebral palsy, told my mom "there's a reason why the ancients left handicapped babies out to die".

We've come a long way over the past 40 years in how we treat the disabled. People with Down's now live well into adulthood. We don't stick the developmentally disabled into institutions anymore, we have programs to help their families keep them at home.