PDA

View Full Version : The Ethnic Cleansing Going On Right Now You Probably Haven't Heard About

Lanie
06-26-2014, 12:41 PM
By March of this year, in an indication of how sharply divided people have become here in western Burma, where Buddhist Southeast Asia blends into Muslim South Asia, opinion of Suu Kyi had shifted dramatically. Near the town of Thandwe, in the state of Rakhine, a young waiter showed me on his phone a doctored photo of Suu Kyi, a worldwide icon of popular struggle and democracy. She was in the arms of a caricatured, stereotypical “Muslim.”

“Everyone used to love Aung San Suu Kyi,” the waiter, Naing Htoo, said. “Now everyone hates her. She married a Muslim,” he added, erroneously.

The abrupt turn has occurred since the spread of a virulent ethnic-nationalism—a dangerous sequence of events that has led to the displacement of an estimated 200,000 of Burma’s Muslim minority, many of whom now live in ragged camps near the border with neighboring Bangladesh. At least 192 and perhaps as many as 1,000 were killed in 2012, and 1,345 more have since died trying to flee the country, according to the UN High Commission for Refugees, and earlier this month it announced that the exodus of Rohingya fleeing violence and persecution continues, with 15,000 having left in the first four months of 2014. Rohingya refugees have been sold into sex slavery, Reuters reported last year; others are reportedly being used as drug mules. And in April, UN special rapporteur on human rights Tomas Ojea Quintana stated that the “long history of discrimination and persecution against” the Muslim minority, called Rohingya, “could amount to crimes against humanity.”

Burma today is supposedly undergoing a transition to democracy. Though President Thein Sein’s shift consisted largely of just a veneer of political liberalization, it’s been followed by a wave of investment from U.S. and European companies, effectively funding and supporting Thein Sein’s government while it has sat idly and even abetted a nightmare of religious and racial persecution for at least one of the country’s many minority groups.

http://news.yahoo.com/ethnic-cleansing-going-now-probably-havent-heard-070512247.html

For anybody who thinks that Muslims are the only ones up to no good.

JohnnyJeb
06-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Burma, doing unto Muslims as they have done unto others for 1400 years.....and they whine like babies.

Lanie
06-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Burma, doing unto Muslims as they have done unto others for 1400 years.....and they whine like babies.

It sounds to me like the people doing this to Muslims are no better than the Muslims they criticize.

There obviously is a huge, radical base of Islam. But honestly, I still think there's a huge chunk of people who got raised in that faith and just want to live a normal life.

If we do to Muslims what some of them have done to us, then we're no better than we are, and we're effectively making the atheistic case that all religion should die out.

(Disclaimer: Not an atheist. I can't just see their point when stuff like this is said).

SVPete
06-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Hmmmm ... the only news here is that the Burmese government is doing this to Muslims also. Burmese "ethnic cleansing" targets all non-ethnic Burmese and adherents of any religion other than Buddhism. This has been going on for years. There are large refugee camps in Thailand along the Burmese border.

So my question is, where have the likes of Yahoo! "News", AP, etc. been the past 5 or 10 years?! I.E., when the targeted religious minority was Christians?!

I shouldn't have to post this, but ...

* I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Baha'i persecution and violence in Iran.

* I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Hindu persecution and violence in India.

* I have zero sympathy for Hindu-on-Muslim persecution and violence in India.

* I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Christian persecution and violence in India.

* I have zero sympathy for Hindu-on-Christian persecution and violence in India.

* I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Christian persecution and violence in more countries than I care to try to enumerate.

* I would say that I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Jewish persecution and violence in more countries than I care to try to enumerate, except Jewish people have been mostly driven out of Muslim North African and Middle Eastern countries. OTOH, there was that terror attack in Mumbai, where a Jewish community center was one of the targets. And antisemitism is getting terribly common and accepted in some EuroLand countries.

It's all evil. But for the past couple of decades, it's Muslim-on-* persecution and violence that, far and away, have been most common and virulent. That's simply acknowledging reality.

Lanie
06-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Hmmmm ... the only news here is that the Burmese government is doing this to Muslims also. Burmese "ethnic cleansing" targets all non-ethnic Burmese and adherents of any religion other than Buddhism. This has been going on for years. There are large refugee camps in Thailand along the Burmese border.

So my question is, where have the likes of Yahoo! "News", AP, etc. been the past 5 or 10 years?! I.E., when the targeted religious minority was Christians?!

I shouldn't have to post this, but ...

* I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Baha'i persecution and violence in Iran.

* I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Hindu persecution and violence in India.

* I have zero sympathy for Hindu-on-Muslim persecution and violence in India.

* I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Christian persecution and violence in India.

* I have zero sympathy for Hindu-on-Christian persecution and violence in India.

* I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Christian persecution and violence in more countries than I care to try to enumerate.

* I would say that I have zero sympathy for Muslim-on-Jewish persecution and violence in more countries than I care to try to enumerate, except Jewish people have been mostly driven out of Muslim North African and Middle eastern countries. OTOH, there was that terror attack in Mumbai, where a Jewish community center was one of the targets. And antisemitism is getting terribly common and accepted in some EuroLand countries.

It's all evil. But for the past couple of decades, it's Muslim-on-* persecution and violence that, far and away, have been most common and virulent. That's simply acknowledging reality.

Okay, well this is another part of reality.

SVPete
06-26-2014, 04:23 PM

The most commonly accepted etymology the name of the Hindu Kush Mountains is "Hindu Killer" or "Hindu Death". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_Kush) So I do find having sympathy for Muslims, when they are oppressed, at times difficult. Right is right, though, regardless of how sympathetic an oppressed group may be.

SVPete
06-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Okay, well this is another part of reality.

And I stated as much, specifically, as well as at a general level:

Burmese "ethnic cleansing" targets all non-ethnic Burmese and adherents of any religion other than Buddhism.

There was no hyperbole in that comment. It is literally true. As I'm sure you could find out using your search engine of choice, this statement is also literally true:

There are large refugee camps in Thailand along the Burmese border.

I learned of this, not by search engine, but from a family member who has done humanitarian and other work in several SE and South Asian countries, including that part of Thailand.

So, I think my question above is very relevant: Why are US media only now reporting what has been going on for 5 or 10 or more years? There are approximately as many Christians as Muslims in Burma, so why does the US MSM only "discover" what has been going on for many years when it is Muslims who are being persecuted?

noonwitch
06-26-2014, 04:53 PM
So, I think my question above is very relevant: Why are US media only now reporting what has been going on for 5 or 10 or more years? There are approximately as many Christians as Muslims in Burma, so why does the US MSM only "discover" what has been going on for many years when it is Muslims who are being persecuted?

How long did it take them to report about the genocide in Darfur? How long did it take them to forget about the genocide in Darfur, which according to Nicholas Kristoff, is still raging on? The minute George Clooney stops drawing attention to it, the media stops paying attention.

I think the media really hates disrupting our lives with bummer stories from the 3rd world, when they can bring us stories about celebrities beating their girlfriends (Chris Brown), driving drunk (Justin Bieber, among others) or just being vapid idiots (anyone named Kardashian, Lohan or Hilton).

SVPete
06-26-2014, 05:20 PM
How long did it take them to report about the genocide in Darfur? How long did it take them to forget about the genocide in Darfur, which according to Nicholas Kristoff, is still raging on? The minute George Clooney stops drawing attention to it, the media stops paying attention.

I think the media really hates disrupting our lives with bummer stories from the 3rd world, when they can bring us stories about celebrities beating their girlfriends (Chris Brown), driving drunk (Justin Bieber, among others) or just being vapid idiots (anyone named Kardashian, Lohan or Hilton).

Ummmm yeah ... is it news to you that Sudan had been waging religious and ethnic genocide for 2-3 decades against what in 2011 became South Sudan? With the UN hindering humanitarian relief from getting to the black Christians and Animists in what is now South Sudan? This is yet another example of US MSM not seeing horrific genocidal and religious violence. And once again there's that C-Word the applies to many of the slaughtered, starved and enslaved that the MSM could not or would not see.

I'm sorry, but your short media attention span doesn't work. It's a factor, but one of many. There's much more to MSM bias than their attention span and susceptibility to celebrity trainwrecks. As my post above shows, there are discernible patters in what the MSM do or do not see, if one is willing to recognize and acknowledge them.

thundley4
06-26-2014, 05:29 PM
I have no sympathy for the genocide of any Muslims. Their tactic in the modern world is to infiltrate and build up their numbers. Every modern nation should ban Muslims from immigration. Make them stay in the hellholes they have created.

Lanie
06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
I have no sympathy for the genocide of any Muslims. Their tactic in the modern world is to infiltrate and build up their numbers. Every modern nation should ban Muslims from immigration. Make them stay in the hellholes they have created.

And they wonder why people think there's a ware on Islam.

How can you (generic you) expect any sympathy toward Christians or anybody else if you won't give any in return? Do you not realize this might be their mentality too?

thundley4
06-26-2014, 05:39 PM
And they wonder why people think there's a ware on Islam.

How can you (generic you) expect any sympathy toward Christians or anybody else if you won't give any in return? Do you not realize this might be their mentality too?

Um, yeah. They start the crap and then want to be all defensive about. They can always count on liberals to take their side.

Retread
06-26-2014, 05:39 PM
........................ Do you not realize this might be their mentality too?

While I understand where you're coming from Lanie, name me one country that could claim the above from Christians. To the best of my historical knowledge, all the movement by Christians has been out of any country primarily Muslim rather than into it.

Lanie
06-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Um, yeah. They start the crap and then want to be all defensive about. They can always count on liberals to take their side.

I'm only taking the side of people who just want to live their life. I refuse to take the side of ANYBODY (Muslim, Buddhist, "Christian," atheist, or otherwise) who advocates genocide.

thundley4
06-26-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm only taking the side of people who just want to live their life. I refuse to take the side of ANYBODY (Muslim, Buddhist, "Christian," atheist, or otherwise) who advocates genocide.

I have no problem letting Muslims live their lives in the hellholes they create. It's when they move en mass to other countries and try to change those countries. Muslims are so intolerant they can't even tolerate different sects in their own religion. That is what is driving the Iraqi crisis right now.

Lanie
06-26-2014, 07:07 PM
While I understand where you're coming from Lanie, name me one country that could claim the above from Christians. To the best of my historical knowledge, all the movement by Christians has been out of any country primarily Muslim rather than into it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/10/central-african-republic-christian-militias-revenge

Muslims came here to trade in the early 19th century and made up 15% of the CAR's population a year ago, but since then untold thousands have been killed or displaced or have fled to neighbouring countries. The UN said last week that while 130,000 to 145,000 Muslims normally lived in the capital, Bangui, the population had been reduced to around 10,000 in December and now stood at just 900.

Amnesty International has called it "ethnic cleansing" and warned of a "Muslim exodus of historic proportions".

As Africa prepares to mark next month's 20th anniversaries of the Rwandan genocide and the end of South African apartheid, what is happening in this long-neglected state is a reminder that forgiveness and reconciliation are easy words but hewn from rock over generations. Christian militias freely admit that theirs is an exercise in vengeance, an eye for an eye, and they will not stop until they have "cleaned" the country of Muslims. On Monday, UN human rights investigators in CAR announced they would investigate reports of genocide.

The seeds were sown in March last year when the Seleka, a largely Muslim rebel group, seized Bangui in a coup, installed the country's first Muslim president, Michel Djotodia, and terrorised the majority Christian population, killing men, women and children. In response, predominantly Christian forces known as the anti-balaka (balaka means machete in Sango, the local language) launched counterattacks against the Seleka and perceived Muslim collaborators.

A tooth for a tooth, and eye for an eye, an entire group of people for an entire group of people.

Lanie
06-26-2014, 07:09 PM
I have no problem letting Muslims live their lives in the hellholes they create. It's when they move en mass to other countries and try to change those countries. Muslims are so intolerant they can't even tolerate different sects in their own religion. That is what is driving the Iraqi crisis right now.

Doesn't the boldened tell you something? The Sunnis have massacred Shiites like crazy lately. What are Shiites? Muslims.

I'm all for taking those radicals and publically cutting off their heads just to send a message.

Retread
06-26-2014, 07:46 PM
From your link:

The seeds were sown in March last year when the Seleka, a largely Muslim rebel group, seized Bangui in a coup, installed the country's first Muslim president, Michel Djotodia, and terrorised the majority Christian population, killing men, women and children. In response, predominantly Christian forces known as the anti-balaka (balaka means machete in Sango, the local language) launched counterattacks against the Seleka and perceived Muslim collaborators.

Lanie
06-26-2014, 08:26 PM
From your link:

But they took it too far and turned it genocidal, my point.

Retread
06-26-2014, 10:01 PM

The muslims took it genocidal, everyone else just fought back rather than lie down or run off.

SVPete
06-26-2014, 10:04 PM

Ya know, it's pretty easy to second guess and critique the actions of people who are defending themselves against being slaughtered! Especially from your comfy living room or office or ...

You could also have cited South Sudan, whose Christian people also defended themselves, and I assume they must have overstepped some armchair critic's boundaries at least once in the 2 or 3 decades of on and off fighting.

But I don't think you are facing the reality in my post above: "But for the past couple of decades, it's Muslim-on-* persecution and violence that, far and away, have been most common and virulent." There is not moral equivalence. There is no everybody does it to the same degree.

As for th4's comment,

Their tactic in the modern world is to infiltrate and build up their numbers.

Have you been unaware of Muslims' violence and antisemitism in France? Have you been unaware of Muslims' violence and antisemitism in Sweden? Have you been unaware of Muslims' violence in the Netherlands? Without knowing th4, I suspect he was alluding to what the Muslims have been doing across EuroLand.

I believe you that there are Muslims who just want to live peaceful lives. I've worked alongside some. The is an "Islamic Center" within 3 or 4 miles of my home, and there have been no incidents. But it is time for these numerous peaceful Muslims to summon the courage to speak out publicly and to use their numbers against the violent minority.

The problem is, if you read the Qur'an - as I have, in translation - the "radicals" are actually true to the Qur'an.

SVPete
06-26-2014, 10:10 PM
The muslims took it genocidal, everyone else just fought back rather than lie down or run off.

I know, it's shocking they wouldn't lay down to be slaughtered more easily!

SVPete
07-12-2014, 11:40 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/10/central-african-republic-christian-militias-revenge

A tooth for a tooth, and eye for an eye, an entire group of people for an entire group of people.

17 Killed at CAR Church Shielding Thousands of Christians (http://www.christianpost.com/news/17-killed-at-car-church-shielding-thousands-of-christians-122942/)
BY MORGAN LEE
CHRISTIAN POST REPORTER
July 8, 2014|3:44 pm

Seventeen were killed and 10 wounded on Monday after Muslim rebels in the Central African Republic attacked a church which had provided refuge for thousands of the country's beleaguered citizens. The Rev. Thibault Ndemaguia confirmed the number to the Associated Press several hours after the attacks.

Residents believe that the fighters attacked the Catholic Church compound in Bambari seeking revenge for the death of a young Muslim man, reported Reuters. Between 4,000 and 6,000 Christians are believed to have taken shelter at St. Joseph Cathedral of Bambari.

The Rev. Firmin Gbagoua, a priest at St. Joseph's, told Reuters that he believed the attackers assumed the cathedral was hiding members of the Christian militia, or anti-balaka.

Retaliation for attacks? Yeah, right:

30 Christians Shot Dead Inside Church by Muslim Rebels in Central African Republic Attack (http://www.christianpost.com/news/30-christians-shot-dead-inside-church-by-muslim-rebels-in-central-african-republic-attack-120549/)

3 Doctors Without Borders Aid Workers Among 22 Killed in Deadly CAR Attack (http://www.christianpost.com/news/3-doctors-without-borders-aid-workers-among-22-killed-in-deadly-car-attack-118725/)

These Muslims are not retaliating or seeking revenge. They are seeking out soft targets, aid workers and community leaders to destroy communities and terrorize citizens into ceasing to defend themselves and into submission.

For some reason, I'm skeptical that the UN, Amnesty International, and the (Manchester?) Guardian will be telling the world what is really going on. I expect they'll be parroting a reprehensibly silly moral equivalency narrative.

NJCardFan
07-12-2014, 11:54 PM
The thing everyone seems to be leaving out is that out of all of this religious violence, which one has been the most non-violent? Christians. With the exception of the Protestant/Catholic nonsense going on in Belfast, there is no Christian anything going on. Funny.