PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court down to final two decisions this term

Lanie
06-28-2014, 03:37 PM
In the Obamacare case, the Supreme Court is actually considering two cases that are linked together. In Hobby Lobby Stores v. Sebelius, Hobby Lobby, a craft store chain, and its sister company, Mardel Christian bookstore, want an exemption from a ACA requirement that it provide insurance coverage for morning-after pills and similar emergency birth control methods and devices.

The second case is Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. v. Health and Human Services Department. Conestoga is a Mennonite family-owned, profit-making business, and it claims that the ACA’s birth control mandate violates the company’s rights under the First Amendment and the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA).

The two cases represent a lot of constitutional issues and touch on other pending cases in the legal pipeline. When the cases were heard at the Court in March, at least 73 other legal challenges were being mounted to parts of the ACA that allegedly violated religious beliefs.

The cases also pose important questions about the scope and effect of RFRA, and the religious rights of for-profit corporations.

Congress passed RFRA in 1993 with the explicit aim of overruling a Supreme Court decision three years earlier called Employment Division v. Smith. It the Smith decision, the Court upheld the power of government at all levels to pass laws that everyone had to obey, even if those laws imposed a burden on the specific religious practice of one sect.

But after Congress passed RFRA, the Supreme Court ruled in 1997 that the Act couldn’t be applied to states.

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-down-final-two-decisions-term-101207399--politics.html

lock and load
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
I can't even begin to guess how they're going to rule on these two, except I hope they rule against the Obama administration and for religious freedom. I doubt either are going going to be unanimous decisions, we will see within days.