PDA

View Full Version : Zoo kills neglected bear cub, will stuff it for children to learn ...

SarasotaRepub
06-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Those crazy Swiss!! (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/26/world/europe/switzerland-bear-cub-stuffed/index.html?hpt=hp_c3)

By Laura Smith-Spark and Ben Brumfield, CNN
updated 8:54 AM EDT, Thu June 26, 2014

(CNN) -- A zoo in Switzerland is the latest to be embroiled in controversy, after it not only killed a healthy bear cub but will now stuff and display it to teach children that "nature can be cruel."

Details of the fate of the baby brown bear, known only as Cub 4, come on the heels of outrage over the killing by Denmark's Copenhagen Zoo of a young male giraffe named Marius (http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/09/world/europe/denmark-zoo-giraffe/index.html) and four lions (http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/26/world/europe/copenhagen-zoo-lions/index.html).

The Dahlholzli Zoo in the Swiss city of Bern said it decided to put down the bear cub after its father, named Misha, mauled its sibling to death and threatened to do the same to Cub 4.

http://babyanimalzoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/black-bear-cub-teddy.jpg

:nono:

Lanie
06-30-2014, 12:26 AM
There was no call in that.

SaintLouieWoman
06-30-2014, 12:59 AM
That is so wrong. First of all, Bern Switzerland is the city of bears. There are bear statues and all kinds of bear symbols there---I believe the word "Bern" means bear.

Secondly, zoos are responsible for their animals and their care. I was fortunate enough to be part of a team of volunteer chimp sitters at the St Louis Zoo. We would go in after hours and care for a baby chimp that had been neglected and actually abused by his mother. She would pound him on the floor and often cover him with hay and ignore him afterwards.

They had to separate him from his mom, but devised a plan where he'd be with the keepers at day and some volunteers after hours, so he would always be cuddled. They would put him in an area near the other chimps so he'd have safe contact with chimps, then gradually integrated him into the chimp security and weaned him from the staff and volunteers. Today he is happy and healthy, the dominant male chimp.

There's no excuse for what the Swiss did. They didn't teach kids that nature can be cruel. They taught them that their zoo administration could be cruel---and lazy. They could have worked out a solution. End of angry rant.

Rockntractor
06-30-2014, 01:04 AM
This makes me sadder than I already am, I came home and the little girl horse ripped her head open on something.
http://i.imgur.com/6WJ2yXL.jpg

Jim54
06-30-2014, 01:10 AM
I'm sure that there are other zoos that would have gladly taken him.

Jim54
06-30-2014, 01:15 AM
This makes me sadder than I already am, I came home and the little girl horse ripped her head open on something.
http://i.imgur.com/6WJ2yXL.jpg

Hope it's not life threatening.

Rockntractor
06-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Hope it's not life threatening.

Sadly it probably is.

SarasotaRepub
06-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Sadly it probably is.

My god, what happend???

Rockntractor
06-30-2014, 10:31 AM
It looks like she was eating under something and got spooked, it even chipped the skull

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

noonwitch
06-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Poor bear, he was cute. Damn, I thought it was just the Austrians that were that f-ing cruel. And I say that as someone who had one grandparent who was born in Austria.

Rockntractor
06-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Poor bear, he was cute. Damn, I thought it was just the Austrians that were that f-ing cruel. And I say that as someone who had one grandparent who was born in Austria.
There was absolutely no necessity to do this, when people are needlessly cruel to animals it infuriates me, many of my animals are here not because I can afford lots of animals but because people starved or abandoned or otherwise mistreated them. I screen people very carefully before I sell them animals if they aren't serious about it wanting to commit themselves to raise them i tell them I don't have any for sale at the moment.
A zoo of all places is trusted by the public to properly care for it's animals, children do not need horror stories like this while they are growing up.

SaintLouieWoman
06-30-2014, 11:58 AM

I think you're thinking of the Danish. It was a zoo in Denmark that had killed the giraffe.

It's more of a matter of zoo ethics. I'm not sure of what standards they're held in Europe, but in the US it's the AZA.

SaintLouieWoman
06-30-2014, 12:02 PM
There was absolutely no necessity to do this, when people are needlessly cruel to animals it infuriates me, many of my animals are here not because I can afford lots of animals but because people starved or abandoned or otherwise mistreated them. I screen people very carefully before I sell them animals if they aren't serious about it wanting to commit themselves to raise them i tell them I don't have any for sale at the moment.
A zoo of all places is trusted by the public to properly care for it's animals, children do not need horror stories like this while they are growing up.

Rock you are so right on this. There's enough cruelty in the world. Kids don't need lessons in it from a zoo of all places. I can't tell you how many times I heard at the STL Zoo that animals are their responsibility. When they've bred their elephants, it's been with the acceptance that if the babies were male, they'd take responsibility and keep them. Bull elephants require more special handling, stronger facilities, etc. Ditto their acceptance of responsibility of one female elephant who was extra aggressive. I had heard them say that they would be responsible and keep her, not send her to an unsuspecting zoo. That's the way it should be.

And your attitude towards your animals is so good---wish you could be cloned. There aren't enough good people like you in the world.

noonwitch
06-30-2014, 01:45 PM
I think you're thinking of the Danish. It was a zoo in Denmark that had killed the giraffe.

It's more of a matter of zoo ethics. I'm not sure of what standards they're held in Europe, but in the US it's the AZA.

I wasn't thinking specifically cruelty to animals, more making a joke at my deceased grandfather's expense. More my "Freud and Hitler were both Austrians and look at the damage they did in the last century" rant.

RobJohnson
06-30-2014, 02:59 PM
It looks like she was eating under something and got spooked, it even chipped the skull

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

How sad.

SaintLouieWoman
06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
How sad.

Rock, how is she doing? Poor horse. Have you figured out yet how this could have happened?

Rockntractor
06-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Rock, how is she doing? Poor horse. Have you figured out yet how this could have happened?

I'm sure she was eating under something and got spoked, may have had her head under the truck bed or something similar, I would be surprised if she makes it.
She is still eating

RobJohnson
06-30-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm sure she was eating under something and got spoked, may have had her head under the truck bed or something similar, I would be surprised if she makes it.
She is still eating

I'm praying for a miracle.