PDA

View Full Version : General Motors recalls another 7.6 million vehicles

RobJohnson
06-30-2014, 06:12 PM
On the same day it unveiled a compensation plan for victims of the ignition switch problem that led to 13 deaths and many injuries, General Motors announced more sobering news: It is recalling another 7.6 million cars in the U.S. made between 1997 and 2014.

Worldwide, the number of GM ( GM -0.87% ) cars included in this latest round of call backs is more than 8.4 million.

Monday’s announcement brings the total number of vehicles recalled by GM this year to 28 million worldwide. The latest news includes six recalls, for which GM is expected to take a $1.2 billion charge in the second quarter.

http://fortune.com/2014/06/30/general-motors-recalls-another-7-6-million-vehicles/?xid=ob_rss

Rockntractor
06-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Will Obama go after them like he did Toyota?

RobJohnson
06-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Will Obama go after them like he did Toyota?

Oh I'm sure he will! :biggrin-new:

JohnnyJeb
06-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Will Obama go after them like he did Toyota?The government goes after Government Motors, huh.

Apache
06-30-2014, 08:27 PM
The government goes after Government Motors, huh.

Only after GM "paid back" it's debt...

Anyone seen a Chevy Volt yet?

Even CARS, the government fucks it up :rolleyes:

SVPete
06-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Only after GM "paid back" it's debt...

Anyone seen a Chevy Volt yet?

Interestingly - pure coincidence, I'm sure - the US government got rid of the last of its GM stock late last year. A couple of months before the start of this year's avalanche of safety recalls. At least one model in this recall, the Malibu, has model years being recalled as old as 1997. Does anyone really believe GM didn't know that model/year had this problem for 17 years?!

Actually, I see several Volts a day during my AM and PM commute. My round trip is ~53 miles, and I live in Silicon Valley. Besides there being lots of people who love and can afford techno-toys, Silicon Valley also has a climate that is very kind to electric vehicles. Anyway however many Volts I see, I probably see 3-5 Nissan Leafs for every Volt, and I don't even want to speculate the ratio of Priuses-to-Volts.

Places with really hot summers (like AZ's Valley of the Sun) and really cold winters (like much of the Northern US east of the Rockies plus most of AK) are very unfriendly places for Volts and Leafs. Really cold and really hot weather will take a big chunk out of the battery's usable capacity (= range), and if the driver uses the AC or the heater, that also decreases the range.

Unless I had access to a charger, a Leaf would strand me about 2/3 of the way home in the PM. A Volt would revert to its wimpy (1.1L?) gas back-up engine somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way home in the PM. That ignores traffic! My commute for my previous job was 75 miles round trip, and included the "Sunol Grade" on I-680. Again ignoring traffic, a Leaf probably would not have gotten me to work, and a Volt would have become a severely under-powered gas-powered car about the time I arrived at work.

This is state of the art stuff, folks! These vehicles are not usable for the wide range of stuff most people do every year! Not by a factor of Twenty!