PDA

View Full Version : Still Demanding $15. To Be A Fry Cook?

Apocalypse
07-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Meet the Robot That Makes 360 Gourmet Burgers Per Hour

http://motherboard-cdn-assets.vice.com/content-images/contentimage/425/1399665568298.jpeg

No human hand touched this hamburger. It was made entirely by robots.
http://www.viceland.com/viceblog/29634605robot-burger-completed.jpg
One robot, rather—a 24 square foot gourmet-hamburger-flipping behemoth built by Momentum Machines. It looks like this:
http://www.viceland.com/viceblog/66257674robot-burger-breakdown.jpg
The San Francisco-based robotics company debuted its burger-preparing machine last year. It can whip up hundreds of burgers an hour, take custom orders, and it uses top-shelf ingredients for its inputs. Now Momentum is proposing a chain of ‘smart restaurants’ that eschew human cooks altogether.

Food Beast points us (http://foodbeast.com/content/2012/11/16/heres-a-look-at-the-worlds-first-smart-restaurant-chain-kitchen-free-and-run-by-robots-2/) to the Momentum’s official release, where the company blares (http://links.services.disqus.com/api/click?format=go&key=cfdfcf52dffd0a702a61bad27507376d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffoodbeast.com%2Fcontent%2F2012%2F 11%2F16%2Fheres-a-look-at-the-worlds-first-smart-restaurant-chain-kitchen-free-and-run-by-robots-2%2F&subId=310491&v=1&libid=1353527328300&out=http%3A%2F%2Fmomentummachines.com%2F%23product&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2Felie-ayrouth%2Fburger-robot_b_2160251.html&title=Here%E2%80%99s%20a%20Look%20at%20the%20World %E2%80%99s%20%E2%80%98First%20Smart%20Restaurant%2 C%E2%80%99%20Kitchen-Free%20and%20Run%20by%20Robots%20%7C%20Foodbeast&txt=official%20copy&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13535289935291):

“Fast food doesn’t have to have a negative connotation anymore. With our technology, a restaurant can offer gourmet quality burgers at fast food prices. Our alpha machine replaces all of the hamburger line cooks in a restaurant. It does everything employees can do except better.”

And what might this robotic burger cook of the future do better than the slow, inefficient, wage-sucking line cooks of yore?

It slices toppings like tomatoes and pickles only immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible.
…custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground after you place your order? No problem.
It’s more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour.

Furthermore, the "labor savings allow a restaurant to spend approximately twice as much on high quality ingredients and the gourmet cooking techniques make the ingredients taste that much better.” Hear that? Without all those cumbersome human workers, your hamburger will be twice as good. For the same cost.

I don’t doubt this is where we’re heading; robots are making inroads in manufacturing, farming, and they’re doing more domestic work around the house, too. Yeah, robots are taking our jobs, and it’s not a question of if, but when and how. Economists often treat the service industry as some last bastion of downsize-proof labor, but, clearly, robots will make sandwiches and take orders, too.

A future where we can get gourmet burgers, cheaply and on the quick, sounds pretty nice. But that future will also have structural unemployment, unless we start taking major strides to rethink and reform how we work in a world where robots are doing much of the heavy lifting. If we can, with robots flipping all the burgers, and the right social policies, maybe at least a semi-techno-utopia is on the way (http://utopianist.com/2012/04/if-technological-progress-continues-is-at-least-a-semi-utopia-on-the-horizon/)…

RobJohnson
07-06-2014, 10:05 PM
That burger looks good!

SVPete
07-06-2014, 10:15 PM
The @#$%-storm of Luddism that will be directed against the first company that dares to try this machine will be like a Cat 5 Hurricane! Union thugs will try to smash the machines! Politicians will try every front-door, back-door, side-window, and chimney-flue approach to banning the machines. MISLeaders of liberal churches will proclaim the machines to be enslavers and oppressors! The hysteria will probably far exceed my cynical imagination, even well past the point of murderous violence.

SVPete
07-06-2014, 10:20 PM
The Food beast article linked in the OP is now a broken link, but the link to the 2012 Momentum Machines press release still works.

thundley4
07-06-2014, 11:07 PM
The @#$%-storm of Luddism that will be directed against the first company that dares to try this machine will be like a Cat 5 Hurricane! Union thugs will try to smash the machines! Politicians will try every front-door, back-door, side-window, and chimney-flue approach to banning the machines. MISLeaders of liberal churches will proclaim the machines to be enslavers and oppressors! The hysteria will probably far exceed my cynical imagination, even well past the point of murderous violence.

I dunno about that. If the company making the machines are unionized, the unions aren't losing anything but potential members in lost burger flippers.

I personally think McDonald's should take the plunge and allow unions. People voted their burgers the worst, so not much quality can be lost. But the public needs to see what effect the higher minimum wage and unionization would do to a major chain.

Lanie
07-06-2014, 11:26 PM
I wonder which robot runs the machine.

Burger King's "grilled" burgers are really just tossed in a machine to be cooked. Of course, somebody had to put the food in there. Somebody had to get it out. Somebody had to turn it into a sandwich. Somebody had to microwave it when a customer said they wanted it straight off the grill. You still need human beings.

If you think this machine wasn't need to be operated by humans, you're wrong. They'll especially need human help when they malfuction and start giving a chicken sandwich for a cheeseburger or cause parts of the paper to go into the sandwich.

thundley4
07-06-2014, 11:36 PM
They'll especially need human help when they malfuction and start giving a chicken sandwich for a cheeseburger or cause parts of the paper to go into the sandwich.

I have had enough mistakes made with food orders, that I'm willing to take a chance on the machine. That burger looks closer to homemade than any fast food burger.

Retread
07-06-2014, 11:47 PM

Burger King's "grilled" burgers are really just tossed in a machine to be cooked. Of course, somebody had to put the food in there. Somebody had to get it out. Somebody had to turn it into a sandwich. Somebody had to microwave it when a customer said they wanted it straight off the grill. You still need human beings.

If you think this machine wasn't need to be operated by humans, you're wrong. They'll especially need human help when they malfuction and start giving a chicken sandwich for a cheeseburger or cause parts of the paper to go into the sandwich.

It won't be "operated" by humans but will need regular maintenance and stocking. You can pay the repairman $50 /hr once or twice a month and one guy restocking the machine the $15 hr to do that and sack the orders for the clerk. A two man crew to crank out the same product as any major burger joint at rush hour.

Apocalypse
07-07-2014, 12:01 AM
It won't be "operated" by humans but will need regular maintenance and stocking. You can pay the repairman $50 /hr once or twice a month and one guy restocking the machine the $15 hr to do that and sack the orders for the clerk. A two man crew to crank out the same product as any major burger joint at rush hour.
What clerk?

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5246/5317195508_0cf6a98b2d_z.jpg

McDonalds is testing these out in Europe right now. Order from a Kiosk and pay there. No clerk needed.

All you really need is some one to restock the machine, and clean up around the place. The machine sacks the burger as well as cooks it.

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 12:56 AM
I dunno about that. If the company making the machines are unionized, the unions aren't losing anything but potential members in lost burger flippers.

I personally think McDonald's should take the plunge and allow unions. People voted their burgers the worst, so not much quality can be lost. But the public needs to see what effect the higher minimum wage and unionization would do to a major chain.

:star:

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 01:00 AM
What clerk?

McDonalds is testing these out in Europe right now. Order from a Kiosk and pay there. No clerk needed.

All you really need is some one to restock the machine, and clean up around the place. The machine sacks the burger as well as cooks it.

A few restaurants in Las Vegas are using them for taking orders and as a back up register, including Jack in the Box. During the slow times when they have the labor hours cut back, unless you walk up and start using the kiosk they will not come up to the counter to wait on you, some one will make sure you get a drink cup.

The kiosks display a complete description of each product, all the options, as well as the allergy and nutrition information. Great for those with food allergies.

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 01:08 AM

Burger King nukes all burgers as a safety precaution. Checkers uses a conveyer belt to cook their patties. Automation is a great thing, sure the machine will need maintained once in a while but would you rather have a modern washing machine or one that is a 100 years old?

Lanie
07-07-2014, 01:17 AM
You all are being sucked in by commercial advertising. Of course the burger looks good. A marketing person got paid to make it look good.

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 07:33 AM
You all are being sucked in by commercial advertising. Of course the burger looks good. A marketing person got paid to make it look good.

You really think so?

Like the "hope and change" marketers or real marketing companies that are showing off industry tested technology that has been through the R & D process and built with proven methods? I've already seen the restaurants in which people are placing orders via kiosk without using a cashier, it's simply like self check out at the grocery stores, but you are using it to place your order.

I think you might understand this better if you visit a factory, everyday there is more and more automation. New cars are painted by robots, welded by robots, and made by cold rolled steel and aluminum made from robots. Parts are produced by CNC machines with built in plasma cutters. Over head crane operators are being replaced with remote control boxes. Even prescriptions are filled by robots at your local pharmacy and by all mail order pharmacies.

Automated hamburgers? Easy.

SVPete
07-07-2014, 08:48 AM
What clerk?

Arby's was using touch-screens for ordering several years ago. Stores like Lucky and Home Depot have used machines for check-out for years,

Robo-Burger and touch-screen Order/Payment systems (I'm sure fries could be produced and packaged by machine as well) aren't intended to eliminate people entirely, just reduce per-burger labor costs (which would include machine stocking, maintenance, plus amortizing the investment).

Now if BK would ditch that grinning-and-leering Kreepy "King"!

SVPete
07-07-2014, 08:54 AM

And you've never noticed a difference between ad pix of burgers and tacos and the actual burgers and tacos you get at M, BK, and TB? Unlike at M, BK, and TB, the machines could offer leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, or spinach instead of water-suspended-in-a-little-fiber (commonly called iceberg lettuce).

DumbAss Tanker
07-07-2014, 09:07 AM
"Fry cook" is kind of an overstatement of most fast-food work, it's mostly just assembly (Sandwiches or burritos), with some order-taking, bin-stocking, and cleaning.

SarasotaRepub
07-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Fixed the first pic...

Lanie
07-07-2014, 10:56 AM
And you've never noticed a difference between ad pix of burgers and tacos and the actual burgers and tacos you get at M, BK, and TB? Unlike at M, BK, and TB, the machines could offer leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, or spinach instead of water-suspended-in-a-little-fiber (commonly called iceberg lettuce).

I like iceberg lettuce far better than romaine, but that's besides the point.

When I was in college, I expressed a concern to an instructor about computers taking over the world. I said there would be no jobs. She compared it to the industrial revolution. People went from sewing on their own to sewing machines. Thing was somebody had to work the sewing machine.

There will still be jobs. They just won't be the same ones. In fact, the job to keep the machine running correctly may be worth 15.00 an hour.

Why do some people appear to have a problem with this concept of companies still hiring? What? You want a society completely ran off machiens with no help from humans and humans looking around for a job?

Retread
07-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I like iceberg lettuce far better than romaine, but that's besides the point.

When I was in college, I expressed a concern to an instructor about computers taking over the world. I said there would be no jobs. She compared it to the industrial revolution. People went from sewing on their own to sewing machines. Thing was somebody had to work the sewing machine.

There will still be jobs. They just won't be the same ones. In fact, the job to keep the machine running correctly may be worth 15.00 an hour.

Why do some people appear to have a problem with this concept of companies still hiring? What? You want a society completely ran off machiens with no help from humans and humans looking around for a job?

To keep the machine running correctly will cost you more than $15/hr.

No one is talking about 'wants' but rather realities. Dis-honest Abe could have saved thousands of lives by encouraging Eli Whitney types rather than invading SC. Progress will come Luddites be damned. This is just one more step.

Whether such progress is good or bad will be for the future to decide.

Lanie
07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
To keep the machine running correctly will cost you more than $15/hr.

No one is talking about 'wants' but rather realities. Dis-honest Abe could have saved thousands of lives by encouraging Eli Whitney types rather than invading SC. Progress will come Luddites be damned. This is just one more step.

Whether such progress is good or bad will be for the future to decide.

We need workers in the oil industry to demand more money so oil companies will get on new energy technology.

NJCardFan
07-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Considering the % of screwed up orders I've received over the years I'll bank on the machine to provide exponentially better service.

Apocalypse
07-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Considering the % of screwed up orders I've received over the years I'll bank on the machine to provide exponentially better service.

You and me both. I even had a burger spit in because it was near closing time. Funny part is, that place closed up a few months later and now is a small book store.

Rockntractor
07-07-2014, 02:00 PM
We need workers in the oil industry to demand more money so oil companies will get on new energy technology.

You wouldn't be able to wrap your mind around all the changes and developments in the last 20 years, I can't.

NJCardFan
07-07-2014, 02:11 PM
The thing being overlooked. This isn't anything new. There used to be places called automats (http://www.theautomat.net/) that had no service. You put in a few nickles and you got lunch. Basically only 1 person manned the entire store restocking as needed and cleaning up. Looks like a more modernized version may be making a comeback.

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Arby's was using touch-screens for ordering several years ago. Stores like Lucky and Home Depot have used machines for check-out for years,

Robo-Burger and touch-screen Order/Payment systems (I'm sure fries could be produced and packaged by machine as well) aren't intended to eliminate people entirely, just reduce per-burger labor costs (which would include machine stocking, maintenance, plus amortizing the investment).

Now if BK would ditch that grinning-and-leering Kreepy "King"!

Having the beverage machines in the dinning rooms is more then just "free refills" it's labor savings.

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 04:09 PM

I agree. Drive ups need a third window just for returns.

Retread
07-07-2014, 05:59 PM

The (energy- not oil) industry that today is leading the applicable technology revolution and you want to speed it up?

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 08:18 PM
You wouldn't be able to wrap your mind around all the changes and developments in the last 20 years, I can't.

So true.

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 08:19 PM

Like that Keystone pipe line they are putting in. Oh wait, never mind.

NJCardFan
07-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Looks like a burger machine isn't the only thing. Target Field in Minnesota is putting in a self serve beer station: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-07-07/self-serve-beer-station-minnesota-twins-target-field-bud-light-budweiser-mlb-all-star-game-2014?eadid=SOC/FB/SNMain

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/43877e82202bc6fb3ad7ba2510ac903423854b20/c=4-0-2048-1536&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/KARE/KARE/2014/07/07/1404757545000-Self-Serve-Beer-Station.jpeg

RobJohnson
07-08-2014, 01:46 AM
Looks like a burger machine isn't the only thing. Target Field in Minnesota is putting in a self serve beer station: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-07-07/self-serve-beer-station-minnesota-twins-target-field-bud-light-budweiser-mlb-all-star-game-2014?eadid=SOC/FB/SNMain

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/43877e82202bc6fb3ad7ba2510ac903423854b20/c=4-0-2048-1536&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/KARE/KARE/2014/07/07/1404757545000-Self-Serve-Beer-Station.jpeg

The television show Bar Rescue has shown some labor saving machines like that as well. No gratuity required either!

DumbAss Tanker
07-08-2014, 07:52 AM
So, SkyNet's plan is just to get us drunk and take advantage of us? Just might work, I fear...

Apocalypse
07-08-2014, 10:33 AM

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/43877e82202bc6fb3ad7ba2510ac903423854b20/c=4-0-2048-1536&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/KARE/KARE/2014/07/07/1404757545000-Self-Serve-Beer-Station.jpegPersonally I see too many problems with a device like this.

I watched the video on the link. And says you have to buy a "Pre-paid card" to make the purchases.

So 1st. How does this prevent some one over 21 from handing off their card to a minor?

2nd, as it states. "buyers can tap up to 48 ounces every 15 minutes". How does the machine know when a buyer is over intoxicated?

Servers are held legally responsible for over serving anyone. Everyone has different intoxication levels. Mine is rather low. I'll admit it. As I don't drink. While people I know can handle a lot more. A server is trained to spot the signs of over intoxication and refuse to serve such a person.

I'm sure any incident that happens, the ball-park will try and defect it as "They served them selves". But that claim will fail as they sold the card, and provided access to the stations.

RobJohnson
07-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Personally I see too many problems with a device like this.

I watched the video on the link. And says you have to buy a "Pre-paid card" to make the purchases.

So 1st. How does this prevent some one over 21 from handing off their card to a minor?

2nd, as it states. "buyers can tap up to 48 ounces every 15 minutes". How does the machine know when a buyer is over intoxicated?

Servers are held legally responsible for over serving anyone. Everyone has different intoxication levels. Mine is rather low. I'll admit it. As I don't drink. While people I know can handle a lot more. A server is trained to spot the signs of over intoxication and refuse to serve such a person.

I'm sure any incident that happens, the ball-park will try and defect it as "They served them selves". But that claim will fail as they sold the card, and provided access to the stations.

It might be like the self check out lanes and have a human monitor. At most arenas they really don't care how drunk you get, I've seen it so many times.

I remember when they had to take out cigarette vending machines due to similar problems, minors buying smokes, and that did not apply to all states either.

I have a NV server's card that includes all the rules that you state above, but many states don't have any type of mandatory training.

48 ounces is a lot of beer, and unless you are making a purchase for three of your friends, you could get shit faced really quick.

Good points.

Apocalypse
07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
The television show Bar Rescue has shown some labor saving machines like that as well. No gratuity required either!

I've watched that show. It's staged if you pay attention. Infact the show is currently being sued because it staged a scene then doctored it to make the owner look like a total sleaze with his female workers. Evidence was in the fact the owner's shirt in the aired ep. changed in the "10 sec." it took for the show's star to "Confront" the owner.

RobJohnson
07-08-2014, 01:04 PM
I've watched that show. It's staged if you pay attention. Infact the show is currently being sued because it staged a scene then doctored it to make the owner look like a total sleaze with his female workers. Evidence was in the fact the owner's shirt in the aired ep. changed in the "10 sec." it took for the show's star to "Confront" the owner.

All of those reality shows are staged IMO. A lot of it is scripted. I did not know about the law suit.

Retread
07-08-2014, 01:45 PM
All of the "reality" shows are fully staged.

What's to keep the bum on the corner from taking cash form the under aged and buying everybody a 6-pak apiece?

There is a door in and out of the facility I would suppose. If the sober police are based at the out door......

I would suppose there is not a limit on the number of cards one might purchase before starting to redeem?

RobJohnson
07-08-2014, 07:11 PM
All of the "reality" shows are fully staged.

What's to keep the bum on the corner from taking cash form the under aged and buying everybody a 6-pak apiece?

There is a door in and out of the facility I would suppose. If the sober police are based at the out door......

I would suppose there is not a limit on the number of cards one might purchase before starting to redeem?

The good news is machines like this really piss off the DUmmies........

Rockntractor
07-08-2014, 08:36 PM
I want a Jessica Alba robot.

Retread
07-08-2014, 10:22 PM
For you Rock, I would recommend one of these...

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130723025835/poohadventures/images/2/2e/Piper_Pinwheeler.jpg

http://www.robotsnob.com/pictures/wall_e_eve.jpg

Apocalypse
07-08-2014, 10:37 PM
All of those reality shows are staged IMO. A lot of it is scripted. I did not know about the law suit.

Yep, here are the pics that prove it.

Notice no shirt pocket on the right side of his shirt, and a double pocket on the left side of his shirt.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3HRSOX2JHao/U0S01h97c_I/AAAAAAAADJY/aZgUxb1Ivmk/s1600/Shirt+1.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3HRSOX2JHao/U0S01h97c_I/AAAAAAAADJY/aZgUxb1Ivmk/s1600/Shirt+1.jpg)

Supposedly moments later when Jon Taffer comes in to confront him for hitting on his wife, this is the shirt Dr. Wilkes has on. It has a pocket on the right side now, and only one pocket on the left side:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kPtpnKPvb6A/U0S1QiQLehI/AAAAAAAADJg/eHwRiA6p6B8/s1600/Shirt+2.jpg

(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kPtpnKPvb6A/U0S1QiQLehI/AAAAAAAADJg/eHwRiA6p6B8/s1600/Shirt+2.jpg)

And the lawsuit
(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kPtpnKPvb6A/U0S1QiQLehI/AAAAAAAADJg/eHwRiA6p6B8/s1600/Shirt+2.jpg)http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Bar-Rescue-assult-lawsuit-WM__140407223510.pdf

RobJohnson
07-09-2014, 05:25 AM
Yep, here are the pics that prove it.

Notice no shirt pocket on the right side of his shirt, and a double pocket on the left side of his shirt.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3HRSOX2JHao/U0S01h97c_I/AAAAAAAADJY/aZgUxb1Ivmk/s1600/Shirt+1.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3HRSOX2JHao/U0S01h97c_I/AAAAAAAADJY/aZgUxb1Ivmk/s1600/Shirt+1.jpg)

Supposedly moments later when Jon Taffer comes in to confront him for hitting on his wife, this is the shirt Dr. Wilkes has on. It has a pocket on the right side now, and only one pocket on the left side:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kPtpnKPvb6A/U0S1QiQLehI/AAAAAAAADJg/eHwRiA6p6B8/s1600/Shirt+2.jpg

(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kPtpnKPvb6A/U0S1QiQLehI/AAAAAAAADJg/eHwRiA6p6B8/s1600/Shirt+2.jpg)

And the lawsuit
(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kPtpnKPvb6A/U0S1QiQLehI/AAAAAAAADJg/eHwRiA6p6B8/s1600/Shirt+2.jpg)http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Bar-Rescue-assult-lawsuit-WM__140407223510.pdf

The lawsuit was an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

noonwitch
07-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Having the beverage machines in the dinning rooms is more then just "free refills" it's labor savings.

Pop from the tap is cheaper than the cups they buy for drinks. It's pure profit. When I worked at the Majik Market, we were allowed to drink all the pop from the taps that we wanted during our shifts, but we had to provide our own cup. Same with IHOP and K-Mart's cafeteria (although only employees working in the caf had that priviledge).

I only order drinks when I'm eating at the restaurant-pop from the tap is always watered down, so I bring cans from home to drink with my lunch, which is usually something take-out.

RobJohnson
07-10-2014, 04:25 AM
Pop from the tap is cheaper than the cups they buy for drinks. It's pure profit. When I worked at the Majik Market, we were allowed to drink all the pop from the taps that we wanted during our shifts, but we had to provide our own cup. Same with IHOP and K-Mart's cafeteria (although only employees working in the caf had that priviledge).

I only order drinks when I'm eating at the restaurant-pop from the tap is always watered down, so I bring cans from home to drink with my lunch, which is usually something take-out.

Soda is the gravy train. It's a little less profitable then in years past, but the it runs about twenty cents with the ice and cup for the restaurant's cost. Some restaurants have special generic type clear solo cups for the employees to use. I prefer unsweetened ice tea, especially if it's freshly brewed. I do miss Culver's Root Beer. (I was a manager for a couple years right before my move to NV)

If they have the equipment set correctly it should never seem watered down, but often they don't change out the syrup boxes when they should or a cheap ass owner or manager tries to save on food costs. Other's use refillable ice bins and the ice they are using is already melting when they add it to the cup.

Proper water filtration is important also. Some things that are not checked by the health department get neglected. We were the only restaurant getting 100% from the health dept and I would find things that the maintenance staff had no clue or care about like the reverse osmosis filters in a town with very hard water. When I removed the used filters some of them felt like they weighed five or six pounds, when they were new they each were feather light. It made a huge difference in the soda water pressure and taste.