PDA

View Full Version : Man Arrested at Detroit Airport With Knife 'Artfully Concealed' in Shoe

RobJohnson
07-07-2014, 03:48 PM
A man going through security at the Detroit airport had a knife concealed in the lining of his shoe and was arrested, authorities said.

Airport police took the knife and arrested the man Sunday morning, the Transportation Security Administration said. The TSA did not immediately release the man’s name. The agency described the knife as “artfully concealed.”

Picture at link.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-arrested-detroit-airport-knife-artfully-concealed-shoe-n149641

After all these years they actually found something! I wonder if this was just a test to see if they could find it? Like the many previous tests they have failed?

Elspeth
07-07-2014, 04:37 PM
=

After all these years they actually found something! I wonder if this was just a test to see if they could find it? Like the many previous tests they have failed?

That was my first thought, too.

NJCardFan
07-08-2014, 12:55 AM
Pfft, I deal with this kind of crap on a daily basis. It's my job to find the creative ways inmates hide things. It's a different kind of feeling when doing a search of an inmates person and see the glistening piece of razor embedded inside their mouth or finding a sharpened screw inside the cuff of their pants. I've seen these people hide cell phones in their anus. It's very disturbing. This guy hiding a knife in his shoe is a rank amateur.

noonwitch
07-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Pfft, I deal with this kind of crap on a daily basis. It's my job to find the creative ways inmates hide things. It's a different kind of feeling when doing a search of an inmates person and see the glistening piece of razor embedded inside their mouth or finding a sharpened screw inside the cuff of their pants. I've seen these people hide cell phones in their anus. It's very disturbing. This guy hiding a knife in his shoe is a rank amateur.

It didn't look like that big of a deal to me, either.

I really don't think terrorists are going to be able to hijack a plane again, especially using blades of any kind. I don't think the passengers will take it-I think that passengers will rush the guy and risk getting stabbed to prevent the hijacker from getting control. To use a commercial plane for terrorism, they either have to get one of the pilots on their side or get a bomb on board.

RobJohnson
07-08-2014, 12:49 PM
It didn't look like that big of a deal to me, either.

I really don't think terrorists are going to be able to hijack a plane again, especially using blades of any kind. I don't think the passengers will take it-I think that passengers will rush the guy and risk getting stabbed to prevent the hijacker from getting control. To use a commercial plane for terrorism, they either have to get one of the pilots on their side or get a bomb on board.

I agree. All those things the TSA thinks might be a bomb, like your bottle of water or tanning lotion they simply throw in the trash. So the plane won't blow up, just the airport. :biggrin-new:

Retread
07-08-2014, 01:40 PM

I really don't think terrorists are going to be able to hijack a plane again, especially using blades of any kind. .................

Your imagination is completely lacking. there are more ways than I have time to write.

marv
07-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

I really don't think terrorists are going to be able to hijack a plane again, especially using blades of any kind. .................
Your imagination is completely lacking. there are more ways than I have time to write.

Yah, it's silly to try to hijack an airliner with a box cutter.....

NJCardFan
07-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Yah, it's silly to try to hijack an airliner with a box cutter.....

At the time of 9/11 it was perfectly legal to carry on board an airplane a small knife. The hijackers took advantage of that. Now, you can't even have a nail clipper. That said, again, working in prison has taught me that there are more ways to create a cutting/stabbing weapons. Knives made out of soap, spikes made from toilet paper or newspaper, ID edges sharpened to a razor's edge...none of which can set off a metal detector.

Retread
07-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Arizona Indians of a century ago mad excellent knives from glass (obsidian)
I can buy near indestructible plastic knives by the dozen. Single use pistols have been made by a 3D printer. Enough poisonous gas to kill everyone on board a 747 from two 2 oz bottle of clear liquid. And none of those require any imagination at all.

Jim54
07-12-2014, 12:43 AM

We painted the walls with component epoxy paint and used epoxy "security" caulk to seal the sinks and toilets. The inmates immediately realized that once the caulk dried and hardened, you
could make excellent shanks out of the material. Those guys got nothing but time on their hands.

RobJohnson
07-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Arizona Indians of a century ago mad excellent knives from glass (obsidian)
I can buy near indestructible plastic knives by the dozen. Single use pistols have been made by a 3D printer. Enough poisonous gas to kill everyone on board a 747 from two 2 oz bottle of clear liquid. And none of those require any imagination at all.

Good points.