PDA

View Full Version : Why is this rocket science?

AlmostThere
10-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Scenario:

You're sitting at home and your adult son stops by. He says, "Pops, I have a new friend/colleague who happens to be a neighbor of mine. He's a college professor." You comment that this professor and your son must have many similar interests. At which time your son points out that this gentleman is older, probably about your age. But he is very politically aware and when he was a young man, he was very much into the anti-war movement. While this isn't your cup of tea you realize we all have our own drummer. Furthermore, today he considers himself a radical, leftist communist. He's no longer violent, but he use to plant bombs at buildings such as police stations, the Capital and the Pentagon. When some of his cohorts were killed by a bomb they were making, he went underground for a few years. While underground he marries his sweetheart and the two remain underground while the FBI and other law-enforcement searched for them.

Your son then admits that his friend told a reporter a few years ago that he didn't regret setting the bombs and thinks he didn't actually do enough.

While you're trying to absorb all this your son starts telling to you about the pastor at his church. Seems this pastor really doesn't like America. Actually sounds like he down right hates it.You'd probably ask your son why he's going to a church where the pastor goes on about what a horrible country we are. He points out that he's been going to this church since he moved out of the family home 20 years ago. He tried another church but that pastor seemed to really hate white folks or something but he thought he was a nice enough guy.

Question:
Is there ANYONE who wouldn't wonder to themselves, "Son, what the hell are you thinking? Is this the kind of person I raised you to be; associating with these kind of people?"

I know those would be questions I'd ask my son or daughter. But they aren't asked of a man who could quite likely be POTUS. Do we really expect better judement from our kids than the leader of the Free World?

LibraryLady
10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
I almost missed this.

I wonder if there is something to Obama being abandoned by the two people who were most important to his life. his father ducked out when he was two and his Mom seemed to have been pretty self centered.He was mostly raised by his grandparents and then he seems to have rejected them for their race.

I think he is seeking guidance and his tendencies seem to lead him to negative sources; Wright, Ayers, Rezco, Davis, al-Mansour, Rashid Khalidi, the list goes on and on.

biccat
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Is there ANYONE who wouldn't wonder to themselves, "Son, what the hell are you thinking? Is this the kind of person I raised you to be; associating with these kind of people?"

But if your son was black, then this type of question would be racist. You should be ashamed of yourself.

[/DU]

Gingersnap
10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I almost missed this.

I wonder if there is something to Obama being abandoned by the two people who were most important to his life. his father ducked out when he was two and his Mom seemed to have been pretty self centered.He was mostly raised by his grandparents and then he seems to have rejected them for their race.

I think he is seeking guidance and his tendencies seem to lead him to negative sources; Wright, Ayers, Rezco, Davis, al-Mansour, Rashid Khalidi, the list goes on and on.

I think this is probably close to the truth. Obama's mother was one of those free spirit-types who put self-actualization before all other responsibilities and his dad was chaotic drunk who wasted his promise as a potential leader. Neither of them were interested enough in their child to put their ambitions on hold and create a family structure.

Obama himself discusses his sense of identity dislocation in his books. He was drawn to racial politics as a way of clarifying his own identity.

The problem with racial/cultural identification in our society is that it's always vaguely fake. There are few Americans who have any kind of pure racial lineage or who have any kind of deeply grounded cultural/religious identity that is shared by their entire family.

People mostly pick and choose how they present themselves which inevitably leads to disputes about authenticity. How can a biracial individual justify picking one racial identity? The same is true for religion, socio-economic backgrounds, education, region, etc.