PDA

View Full Version : 2 American Ebola patients heading to U.S.

Lanie
08-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Two American medical missionaries diagnosed with the deadly Ebola virus in Liberia could be back in the United States as early as this weekend for treatment at special medical isolation units, including Atlanta's Emory University Hospital, the U.S. State Department said Friday.

The State Department did not name the two individuals, nor indicate where they will be taken, saying only that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was facilitating their transfer on a non-commercial flight and and would "maintain strict isolation upon arrival in the United States."

It said the transfer would take place "in the coming days."

CNN reports that two Americans being airlifted from Liberia are Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol. Both are described as being in serious condition. It reported that the the CDC's Gulfstream jet outfitted with an isolation pod left Cartersville,Ga., for Liberia on Thursday evening.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/01/ebola-liberia-american-patient-emory/13453997/

Don't worry. The people coming here with this nasty and deadly disease are Americans. It's cool.

SaintLouieWoman
08-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I heard that it's the first time anyone with Ebola is entering the country (that we're aware of). Wondering how many pandemic diseases are coming over that southern open border. Scary times.

Dlr Pyro
08-01-2014, 10:24 PM
The hits just keep on coming with this administration.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Lanie
08-01-2014, 10:30 PM
The hits just keep on coming with this administration.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

They're American. Is Obama supposed to stop that?

I read they're going to be in a secured room. I hope they can get it under control. Maybe if we can, then we can help the people over in Africa. This is scary.

Rockntractor
08-01-2014, 11:29 PM
They're American. Is Obama supposed to stop that?

I read they're going to be in a secured room. I hope they can get it under control. Maybe if we can, then we can help the people over in Africa. This is scary.

How many of our citizens is it okay to endanger to treat two people 5 10 1000 10,000 maybe a million? give me a number, this is not the first time medical missionaries have contracted Ebola and never before has the center for disease control felt it was worth the risk. They could have been treated in the country where they contracted the disease.

Rockntractor
08-01-2014, 11:30 PM
There are fools running this country, plain and simple fools!

noonwitch
08-04-2014, 10:55 AM
How many of our citizens is it okay to endanger to treat two people 5 10 1000 10,000 maybe a million? give me a number, this is not the first time medical missionaries have contracted Ebola and never before has the center for disease control felt it was worth the risk. They could have been treated in the country where they contracted the disease.

It sounds to me like the CDC has some medicine that can save these two, but not enough for the thousands in Africa who also need it. Maybe it's even still in the experimental phase, and not ready for mass use yet.

They had a pretty secure transportation system arranged. I will hope and pray for the best for all concerned.

JohnnyJeb
08-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Just wondering here......what if he survives and then is immune to the virus. Can they make a serum from his blood to treat others that come down with Ebola? Maybe that's why they brought him here where they can better do this.

Lanie
08-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Just wondering here......what if he survives and then is immune to the virus. Can they make a serum from his blood to treat others that come down with Ebola? Maybe that's why they brought him here where they can better do this.

I am hoping they can learn through these two people how to better treat it.

The whole thing is scary, but the virus was going to come. This way it's contained and we can figure out how to treat it.

thundley4
08-04-2014, 11:30 AM

I'm sure that has already been tried from previous survivors.

Retread
08-04-2014, 12:14 PM

It's possible to do as it has been done before but, sometimes it takes multiple tries to isolate the necessary serum.

Dori
08-04-2014, 12:16 PM
I don't trust the government anymore.

The CDC recently mishandled some very nasty disease cultures. It's only going to take one misstep, whether through incompetence or deliberate actions.

Incompetence or cover-up? After what they've done at the IRS and the VA, I think bringing these patients here is insane. The CDC could have taken a team to Africa if they wanted to study this disease.

U.S. lawmakers have criticized the apparently poor safety procedures in handling dangerous pathogens at labs of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention despite prior warnings the center reportedly had from investigators.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10586/20140717/house-of-representatives-censures-cdc-suspicious-of-incompetence-or-coverup.htm

JohnnyJeb
08-04-2014, 01:02 PM
The doctor was given a serum before leaving Africa and his condition rapidly improved.

http://news.msn.com/world/video?videoid=3c77d2fa-e49a-58ca-db14-a8590a6c16b4