PDA

View Full Version : Eight Things Starting With The Letter ‘I’ You Didn’t Know Are Racist

Elspeth
08-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Eight Things Starting With The Letter ‘I’ You Didn’t Know Are Racist
http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/02/eight-things-starting-with-the-letter-i-you-didnt-know-are-racist/#ixzz39IfMinvK

An NPR piece explains why the Ice Cream truck song is “virulently” racist. One of the most commonly heard ice cream truck tunes is based off a 1916 track published by Columbia Records called “N***er Love A Watermelon Ha! Ha! Ha!,” by Harry C. Browne. That tune is based off of the melody of “Turkey in the Straw,” which in turn is based off of a traditional British song, “The (Old) Rose Tree.” Somewhere along the line an innocent tune was co-opted because racism.

Investigating black politicians is racist, according to Pennsylvania’s attorney general Kathleen Kane. In 2010, the state’s former attorney general Tom Corbett, who is now governor, investigated a bunch of Philadelphia politicians. In the course of the three year investigation four Democrats were caught for allegedly accepting bribes, The Inquirer reported. They were all black, and when Kane took office in 2013, she shut the investigation down, citing racism.

Impeaching U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is racist, according to MSNBC contributor Goldie Taylor. When “PoliticsNation” host Al Sharpton asked Taylor in November whether “racial elements” were involved in a Republican push to impeach Holder, Taylor took the bait. “So what this is about is about fanning the flames of hatred and bigotry and pushing people to the polls on their behalf,” she said.

Impeaching President Obama is racist, according to Democratic strategist Angela Rye. “You don’t just fight to get the person out of office because you don’t like how they comb their hair, the color of their skin or the fact that they’re black in the White House,” Rye said in a conversation with MSNBC’s “PoliticsNation” host Al Sharpton in February. “That’s not what you do.”

The Chicago Teachers Union made it clear to Mayor Rahm Emanuel that improving a school full of black kids is racist. In March, the Chicago Board of Education announced a plan to turnaround three low-performing schools in predominantly black neighborhoods. The process meant replacing every teacher and at the failing schools, which of course irked the union, so it played the race card. “This is an attack on Black schools,” the union declared in an email obtained by The Daily Caller.

MSNBC’s Martin Bashir declared that the acronym IRS, which you might think is an identifier for Internal Revenue Service, is actually a racist code word. “Republicans are using it as their latest weapon in the war against the black man in the White House,” he declared in a June segment last year, and then explained why it’s the new N-word. “The IRS — three letters that sound so innocent, but we know what you mean,” he said.

Tamera Mowry, who is not white, married Fox News correspondent Adam Housley in 2011, who is white. In an interview with Oprah posted to YouTube, the star of ’90s TV hit “Sister Sister” talks about the hatred she’s experienced for marrying outside her race. “[Critics] say, ‘back in the day you cost $300, but now you’re giving it to them for free,” Tamera explains. Tia, on the other hand, explains that she’s gotten criticized for not marrying a white man. So if you’re black and you marry a white person, you’re basically that person’s slave by another name, but if you don’t marry a white person, you’re racist, because interracial marriage is racist, except when it’s the solution to racism.

The word “incompetence” in reference to President Obama, or really any black person, is racist, according to Democratic Rep. James Clyburn. Criticism of U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice for her potential role in the Benghazi scandal was full of racial code words, he said on CNN’s “Starting Point” in 2012. “Incompetent” was just one of the terms he mentioned. “We’ve been hearing these little words and phrases all of our lives,” he said, “and we get insulted by them.”

Elspeth
08-03-2014, 01:49 AM
Alphabet Of Racism: THE LETTER ‘A’
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/13/the-daily-caller-presents-the-alphabet-of-racism-the-letter-a/

Air is racist, according to a Think Progress article published in April. “[N]on-white people breathe air that is substantially more polluted than the air that white people breathe,” the breathless piece explains. “Altogether, people of color in the U.S. breath [sic] air with 38 percent more nitrogen dioxide in it than their white counterparts, particularly due to power plants and exhaust from vehicles.”

Alphabet of Racism: THE LETTER ‘B’
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/16/the-daily-caller-presents-the-alphabet-of-racism-the-letter-b/

Beards are a symbol of white supremacy, according to a groundbreaking essay published in January by The Atlantic. ”What follows is the lost story of American facial hair,” it reads. “Like countless other histories, it is rife with contradictions.” Basically, white Americans derided barbering at the time of the Revolution, but then black entrepreneurs turned facial hair into a source of wealth and prestige. Then the beard came along, which is “a fashion born out of desperation but transformed into a symbol of masculine authority and white supremacy.”

Alphabet Of Racism: THE LETTER ‘C’
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/19/the-daily-caller-presents-the-alphabet-of-racism-the-letter-c/

Carp — oily freshwater fish of the family Cyprinidae — are racist according to Minnesota state senator John Hoffman. In April, Hoffman introduced a bill to start calling “Asian carp” the completely offensive name “invasive carp.” Hoffman complained that calling the fish “Asian” was insensitive, notes Breitbart.

Alphabet Of Racism: THE LETTER ‘D’
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/20/the-daily-caller-presents-the-alphabet-of-racism-the-letter-d/

Racism began in part with renowned philosopher Descartes making the statement “I think, therefore I am,” according to Berkeley Law professor John A. Powell. At a White Privilege conference in May, he explained it this way:

“So whiteness, actually, is very tied to our modern sense of self. And this was part of what’s called the ‘Enlightenment project.’ So that project, which goes back to people like Descartes — remember Descartes, where he says, ‘I think, therefore I am’? So he had the separation of mind and body. He had the separation of the mind, rational mind, from nature. So this radical individual that perceives himself — and it largely was a him — as being isolated from each other, isolated from nature, hostile to nature in a scary world, was also a white self. So the expression of the self, the modern self, is actually racialized.”

Alphabet Of Racism: THE LETTER ‘E’
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/24/the-daily-caller-presents-the-alphabet-of-racism-the-letter-e/

Ending racism is racist, declared Justice Sonia Sotomayor in a dissenting opinion after the Supreme Court ruled the feds can’t force the state of Michigan to engage in racial discrimination. Michigan had passed a proposal mandating race-neutral state policy, which effectively banned affirmative action in that state. But Sotomayor complained Michigan’s decision to ban a racist policy was itself racist, because it “changed the basic rules of the political process in that State in a manner that uniquely disadvantaged racial minorities.”

Alphabet Of Racism: THE LETTER ‘F’
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/26/the-daily-caller-presents-the-alphabet-of-racism-the-letter-f/

The term “food stamps” is racist, said MSNBC’s Chris Matthews after Newt Gingrich gave a speech in 2011 using the apparent racial code. Gingrich had referred to Obama as a “food stamp president,” and asked whether Americans wanted to be a country that creates foods stamps, or a country that creates paychecks. “Haven’t heard food stamps discussed since the last racist guy tried to play the card,” Matthews said as he played the race card. “I mean, I can’t remember the last time it was talked about. [It has] a particular tinge to it.”

The Alphabet Of Racism: THE LETTER ‘G’
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/27/the-daily-caller-presents-the-alphabet-of-racism-the-letter-g/

Getting food poisoning at an ethnic restaurant is racist, according to Slate, because some freelance writer believes that people who barf after eating and then post restaurant reviews on Yelp “tend to blame restaurants that serve ‘ethnic food’ — that is, preparations particular to culinary traditions originating outside of Europe.”

Alphabet Of Racism: THE LETTER ‘H’
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/31/the-daily-caller-presents-the-alphabet-of-racism-the-letter-h/

In April, after Avril Lavigne released a video for her single “Hello Kitty,” The Daily Beast — among others — accused the Canadian pop star of the crime of “cultural appropriation” because the video showed Lavigne traipsing around Tokyo with some Japanese backup singers. Sushi and candy are involved. “[W]hat does Hello Kitty really mean?” the sad and confused writer at The Daily Beast actually asks at one point amid over 1,000 words.

SVPete
08-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Libs' and Progs' trivialization of serious words like "racist", "rape" and "hate" may get Ds a little political advantage for an election cycle or two, but the social harm done will last much longer, and it's ethnic minorities, women, and Gs/Ls who will be hurt when their reports of real racism, real sexual assault, and real physical bashing are not taken seriously.

Dori
08-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Maybe they should make of list of what words that aren't racist.

It would be shorter.

ralph wiggum
08-03-2014, 08:51 PM

It would be shorter.
No kidding. What a sad commentary on our society that these pundits actually perceive many of those phrases or words to be racist.

txradioguy
08-03-2014, 10:40 PM
No kidding. What a sad commentary on our society that these pundits actually perceive many of those phrases or words to be racist.

Basically what it boils down to is that anything tha can be used to highlight the ineptness of our current President...gets labelled racist...to the point where being called a racist has lost it's sting.

And it's been used to bully people with legitimate issues with how this President is...ummm..."leading"...to be silenced.

IMO the true sad commentary on our society is that the silent majorty has allowed it to happen...this word police...to form and grow without nary a word in protest.

And it won't be over when Obama leaves office. Not by a longshot. Because when Hillary tries again to become President..."racist" will be replaced with "sexist".

Elspeth
08-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Apparently, whether you call something a "barbecue" or a "cookout" (http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/06/barbecue_vs_cookouts_what_does_race_have_to_do_wit h_the_terminology.html?wpisrc=obinsite) is racial.

And here are some terms that are "accidental racism"--although there is no evidence for some of the etymologies and the logic of #3 and #7 are somewhat backwards. But don't let that stop you. :smile-new:

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/05/potentially_racist_words_and_phrases.html?wpisrc=o binsite

1. “The peanut gallery”: Just a dismissive term for hecklers or critics, right? Wrong. You’ll probably never use this phrase in reference to a group of black people again once you know its history. It originally referred to the balconies of segregated theaters, where African Americans had to sit. (Why “peanut”? Apparently, peanuts were introduced to America during the slave trade and thus became associated with blacks.)

2. “The jig is up”: Although this expression is used today to describe a joke or scheme that has been revealed or foiled, you’re the one whose fun might end quickly if you say it to the wrong person. This hasn’t been proved beyond a doubt, but many believe the saying was used in its original form by some in the American South to refer to the lynching of a black person. Replace "j" with "n" and you’ll get it.

3. “Call a spade a spade”: For more than 500 years, this expression has meant “to tell it like it is.” But it wasn’t until the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s that “spade” became a disparaging code word for black people. It’s probably best to retire this phrase forever.

4. “Sold down the river”: Today, if people say they’ve been “sold down the river,” they probably mean they’ve been betrayed. But when the phrase originated, that betrayal was a lot more serious. During slavery, being “sold down the river” was literal. Slave owners would sell their slaves and send them via the Mississippi or Ohio River to plantations in the Deep South, where plantation conditions were much worse.

5. “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe”: Learning the history of this phrase might taint your childhood memories. Heard at playgrounds around the world, this counting-out expression comes from a classic children’s rhyme dating back to the 19th century. Some early versions include the lyric, “Catch a n--ger by the toe.” The n-word was replaced by “tiger” in later years. Not quite as cute now, is it?

6. “Cotton-picking”: “Are you out of your cotton-picking mind?” We’ve all heard the phrase, but the term has an ugly, if debatable, past. Some say it was used to denote the inferior status of poor farmers and field hands in the Southern states, many of whom were slaves. We’ll just say you’d have to be crazy to say this to anyone who might associate it with that history.

7. “Spook”: How can this word be so bad? If you’ve ever celebrated Halloween, you’ve used some version of it. What is now used regularly to mean “ghost” or to frighten is also a slur akin to “n--ger.” It may have its origins in the perception that dark skin blends into the night, making black people ghostlike. Scarily racist.

8. “Grandfather clause”: You may have been lucky enough to be “grandfathered” into your cellphone plan, but this term has an ugly past. During the 1890s, half a dozen Southern states enacted laws to defy the 15th Amendment and prevent black people from exercising their newfound right to vote. In these states, you were allowed to vote only if your parents or grandparents were able to vote before the year 1867—which was conveniently before blacks had access to the ballot. These days we all have equal rights to this phrase, but it’s probably best if we agree to go ahead and drop it.

Retread
08-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Everything is racist if someone wants it to be.

In a long ago life I spent a lot of time traveling to drilling sites during evaluation. A friend of mine had a young black lady working for him as a tech. She knew what the data she worked with was but knew nothing about it's source or acquisition. So, as they say, goes the story.

He asked me to take her on the next well in his territory to make her acquainted with the well site end of the work so off we flew to Lubbock, TX and drove on over to NM. I found out on the plane that this was her first time outside the Houston city limits.

On the road over to the well we drove thru some cotton fields that had just been harvested and random bolls were scattered on the roadside. She asked "Is that cotton?" And I answered by pulling off the road and picking up a boll for her to look at.

I never thought any more about it until the day I came back. He shows up in my office, closes the door and proceeds to tell about his morning. Seems the lady in question came into his office first thing and threw the boll on his desk with the exclamation "Not on the ground 30 minutes and he has me in the field picking cotton." But she couldn't pull it off and fell into his office chair laughing her head off.

Fantastic worker that ended up marrying a W Tx boy and moving to Trinidad.

RobJohnson
08-04-2014, 07:10 PM

It would be shorter.

I was in the middle of sneezing and your comment almost made me choke to death....lol!

Carp — oily freshwater fish of the family Cyprinidae — are racist according to Minnesota state senator John Hoffman. In April, Hoffman introduced a bill to start calling “Asian carp” the completely offensive name “invasive carp.” Hoffman complained that calling the fish “Asian” was insensitive, notes Breitbart.

My goodness...........Asian carp is now racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I used to fish all the time, a lot of black people would beg me not to throw back any carp I caught, they loved to eat it....so I would give them my catch. Was that racist also? I was just being a nice guy, as some of these people were actually fishing for dinner.....that was before high EBT card subsidies. Sometimes I would give all of my fish away to a family fishing together, I never had so many young children and their parents Bless me with so many kind words in my life......I would even find a family to give my left over bait to.

I learned this from my father. "Hey we have some fish here, would you guys like it?" My dad grew up poor....he knew why some families were fishing. Those fishing from the shore had a pretty slim chance of catching anything, we had the advantage of having a 1957 Glastron boat.....it even had fins like the Chevrolet from the same year. We were poor compared to today's standards, no cell phones, video games, and huge televisions. We were just lucky to have an old boat and my dad was able to keep it running.

NJCardFan
08-05-2014, 12:30 AM
I'm enjoying the etymology lesson, however, The Root isn't exactly an unbiased publication. That said, apparently we white conservatives have so many code words that I might have to try to find my Little Orphan Annie decoder ring(crap...the new Annie movie is featuring a black Annie so I guess mentioning her is now racist).

RobJohnson
08-05-2014, 12:45 AM
I'm enjoying the etymology lesson, however, The Root isn't exactly an unbiased publication. That said, apparently we white conservatives have so many code words that I might have to try to find my Little Orphan Annie decoder ring(crap...the new Annie movie is featuring a black Annie so I guess mentioning her is now racist).

:biggrin-new: