PDA

View Full Version : Where are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson this week?

noonwitch
08-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Closing arguments begin today in the trial of Theodore Wafer, the guy who shot the black woman on his porch in Dearborn Heights. I have seen little if any national coverage, and although all the local channels are covering it, I don't see any of the activists who demanded justice for Trayvon here demanding it for Renisha.

Lanie
08-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Maybe they don't care as much about women.

MstrBlue
08-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Closing arguments begin today in the trial of Theodore Wafer, the guy who shot the black woman on his porch in Dearborn Heights. I have seen little if any national coverage, and although all the local channels are covering it, I don't see any of the activists who demanded justice for Trayvon here demanding it for Renisha.

Jesse and Al make appearances only on a graduated scale...
The higher the publicity, the more likely they come out of their bunkers.

noonwitch
08-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Maybe they don't care as much about women.

That's what I was thinking. There wasn't even any physical altercation-the guy shot her through his screen door.

Or they figure a Detroit jury is more likely to come to a guilty verdict than one in Sanford, FL.

FlaGator
08-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Tanana Brawley has scared them from representing women.

Bailey
08-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Maybe if the shooter is found not guilty they will make showing?

SVPete
08-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Jesse is probably here in the Bay Area, shaking down Silicon Valley tech companies and hitting restaurants in SF.

RobJohnson
08-06-2014, 05:13 PM

She was not wearing a hoodie.

Elspeth
08-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Noonie,

If you look on Legal Insurrection (http://legalinsurrection.com/), Andrew Branca has been keeping track of this case. The defense case was actually a good one and Wafer himself took the stand. Don't know how it will turn out, but this was no slam dunk of a case for the prosecution.

You are mistaken if you think Al or Jesse give a fig about civil rights. The care about either (a) who can be sued and how deep their pockets are and/or (2) what political need there is. The biggest cases (Duke non-rape case, Zimmerman non-murder case) concern politics.

The Duke case was driven by a Democrat prosecutor, Mike Nifong, who was in trouble in his primary and needed to get the African American vote away from a strong challenger. Nifong was the main force behind the case, which is why the families went after him once the innocence of their sons was proved.

George Zimmerman was from a crucial swing state (Florida) that Romney could have taken: that is why not only Jesse, Al and the NAACP were involved, but also the corrupt DOJ as well as a major public relations firm. The Zimmerman case insured that the African American base got out and voted in Florida (and other swing states). A bi-product of the case was the attack on stand-your-ground legislation and on guns in general. This also brought out the gun-control base.

Michigan, on the other hand, is pretty safely blue, but, more importantly, it's not a presidential election year. No political advantage is to be gained by nationalizing a local race case. You may be hearing a lot locally, and, since the midterm elections are local, that makes sense. But it would be wasted money and effort to make this a national case when there is no political payoff.

With no political advantage, the only real motivation would be money. That's one reason, I think, that the hucksters showed up for the Duke non-rape case: it could have resulted in a lawsuit against the university and/or the economically comfortable families of the lacrosse team had Nifong's case actually gone to trial. It was only the tenacity of the families and their attorneys that turned that case around, since Nifong was ignoring blatant exculpatory evidence.

In the Zimmerman case, there was the Sanford PD (whom the NAACP had tried to sue before) and the Homeowners Association. In giving the race hucksters their arrest, Sanford moved itself out of the lawsuit category. The HOA, however, shelled out a cool million BEFORE the verdict. One wonders what that amount would have been had they waited.

My guess on why Al and Jesse haven't appeared is that there is no money to be made, no one to be sued. No deep pockets and no political advantage.

Retread
08-06-2014, 08:48 PM
..................... there is no money to be made, no one to be sued. No deep pockets and no political advantage.

^^^^^^ that