PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: Verizon and AT&T Provided Cell Towers for McCain Ranch

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 08:36 PM
POSTED: 04:30 PM ET, 10/15/2008 by The Editors

BY JAMES V. GRIMALDI / Washington Post Staff Writer

Early in 2007, just as her husband launched his presidential bid, Cindy McCain decided to resolve an old problem -- the lack of cellular telephone coverage on her remote 15-acre ranch near Sedona, nestled deep in a tree-lined canyon called Hidden Valley.

By the time Sen. John McCain's presidential bid was in full swing this summer, the ranch had wireless coverage from the two cellular companies most often used by campaign staff -- Verizon Wireless and AT&T.

Verizon delivered a portable tower know as a "cell site on wheels" -- free of charge -- to Cindy McCain's property in June in response to an online request from Cindy McCain's staff early last year. Such devices are usually reserved for restoring service when cell coverage is knocked out during emergencies, such as hurricanes.

After a request from Cindy McCain, Verizon Wireless proposed installing a cell tower close to the couple's home near Sedona, Ariz.In July, AT&T followed suit, wheeling in a portable tower for free to match Verizon's offer. "This is an unusual situation," said AT&T spokeswoman Claudia B. Jones. "You can't have a presidential nominee in an area where there is not cell coverage."

Over the course of the past year, Cindy McCain had offered land for a permanent cell tower and Verizon embarked on an expensive process to meet her needs, hiring contractors and seeking county land-use permits even though few people other than the McCains would benefit from the tower.

Ethics lawyers said Cindy McCain's dealings with the wireless companies stand out because Sen. John McCain is a senior member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which oversees the Federal Communications Commission and the telecommunications industry. He has been a leading advocate for industry-backed legislation, fighting regulations and taxes on telecommunications services.

McCain and his campaign have close ties to Verizon and AT&T. Five campaign officials, including campaign manager Rick Davis, have worked as lobbyists for Verizon. Former McCain staffer Robert Fisher is an in-house lobbyist for Verizon and is volunteering for the campaign. Fisher, Verizon chief executive Ivan Seidenberg and company lobbyists have raised more than $1.3 million for McCain's presidential campaign and Verizon employees are among the top 20 corporate donors over McCain's political career, giving more than $155,000 to his campaigns

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/washingtonpostinvestigations/2008/10/exclusive_verizon_gave_cell_to.html

PoliCon
10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
POSTED: 04:30 PM ET, 10/15/2008 by The Editors

BY JAMES V. GRIMALDI / Washington Post Staff Writer

Early in 2007, just as her husband launched his presidential bid, Cindy McCain decided to resolve an old problem -- the lack of cellular telephone coverage on her remote 15-acre ranch near Sedona, nestled deep in a tree-lined canyon called Hidden Valley.

By the time Sen. John McCain's presidential bid was in full swing this summer, the ranch had wireless coverage from the two cellular companies most often used by campaign staff -- Verizon Wireless and AT&T.

Verizon delivered a portable tower know as a "cell site on wheels" -- free of charge -- to Cindy McCain's property in June in response to an online request from Cindy McCain's staff early last year. Such devices are usually reserved for restoring service when cell coverage is knocked out during emergencies, such as hurricanes.

After a request from Cindy McCain, Verizon Wireless proposed installing a cell tower close to the couple's home near Sedona, Ariz.In July, AT&T followed suit, wheeling in a portable tower for free to match Verizon's offer. "This is an unusual situation," said AT&T spokeswoman Claudia B. Jones. "You can't have a presidential nominee in an area where there is not cell coverage."

Over the course of the past year, Cindy McCain had offered land for a permanent cell tower and Verizon embarked on an expensive process to meet her needs, hiring contractors and seeking county land-use permits even though few people other than the McCains would benefit from the tower.

Ethics lawyers said Cindy McCain's dealings with the wireless companies stand out because Sen. John McCain is a senior member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which oversees the Federal Communications Commission and the telecommunications industry. He has been a leading advocate for industry-backed legislation, fighting regulations and taxes on telecommunications services.

McCain and his campaign have close ties to Verizon and AT&T. Five campaign officials, including campaign manager Rick Davis, have worked as lobbyists for Verizon. Former McCain staffer Robert Fisher is an in-house lobbyist for Verizon and is volunteering for the campaign. Fisher, Verizon chief executive Ivan Seidenberg and company lobbyists have raised more than $1.3 million for McCain's presidential campaign and Verizon employees are among the top 20 corporate donors over McCain's political career, giving more than $155,000 to his campaigns

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/washingtonpostinvestigations/2008/10/exclusive_verizon_gave_cell_to.html
and?? ..................

MrsSmith
10-15-2008, 08:42 PM
All of our local hospitals work with cell companies to get antenna installed in our buildings. That way, the service we use most is safer around medical equipment, which allows doctors and other personnel to carry their phones into rooms and allows family members to use them in most areas.

In other words, it's a standard service by cell companies. Too bad, so sad, LP.

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 08:42 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/commentsjunkie/animated/acdufshuiu.gif

PoliCon
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddd ddddddddddd?

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddd ddddddddddd?

Oh, I'm sorry - you don't think it looks the least bit improper or might just fall under influence peddling, a.k.a. breaking the law for a possible president of the United States?:rolleyes:

Zeus
10-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a good deal for all concerned. Cellular companies pay good money on leases to plant a tower on someones land. Bet area customers of the two cellular companies aren't complaining.

So in as far as a gotcha goes ,ain't nuthing there.

patriot45
10-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh, I'm sorry - you don't think it looks the least bit improper or might just fall under influence peddling, a.k.a. breaking the law for a possible president of the United States?:rolleyes:

No. You are trying too hard---Fail!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/deedeedeeFRONT.jpg

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 09:08 PM
So lets put the shoe on the other foot: If Obama had done the same and sat on the same
committee - how loudly would you morons be screaming now?

If you say you wouldn't - you're simply fucking liars. End of story.

MrsSmith
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
So lets put the shoe on the other foot: If Obama had done the same and sat on the same

Where are the 660,000 false registrations that are connected with these phone towers?? :eek::eek:

Or maybe the companies are giving the campaign free air minutes?? :eek::eek:

However, I think you're right, the McCains should be charging the companies for the use of their land.

PoliCon
10-15-2008, 09:20 PM
such a stupid jackass. They whole point is the man is running for PRESIDENT and as such needs access. ESPECIALLY for the MEDIA! *doh*

LibraryLady
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't you guys understand? LP HAD to post this - it's all over Kos.

Secret Service made a legitimate request for a temporary tower for its work and Verizon complied as is required by our contract with the agency. The Secret Service request, made on May 28, specifically said it needed the service urgently and requested that Verizon 'explore every possible means of providing an alternative cellular or data communications source in the referenced area and provide any short term implementation of any type as a solution in the interim."

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 09:28 PM
such a stupid jackass. They whole point is the man is running for PRESIDENT and as such needs access. ESPECIALLY for the MEDIA! *doh*

Nice avoiding of my point about Obama doing it, chickenshit.

PoliCon
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Nice avoiding of my point about Obama doing it, chickenshit.dumbass - the biggest beneficiaries of this largess are the MEDIA.

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 09:33 PM
dumbass - the biggest beneficiaries of this largess are the MEDIA.

Ah, so those satellite trucks that the networks bring in - all over the country, bounce their signal off the magic towers?:confused:

ralph wiggum
10-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Don't you guys understand? LP HAD to post this - it's all over Kos.

Yeah, but the Secret Service works for the evil Bush administration!!!11111111111111

PoliCon
10-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Ah, so those satellite trucks that the networks bring in - all over the country, bounce their signal off the magic towers?:confused:shit for brains - print media types don't have satellite trucks.

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 09:37 PM
shit for brains - print media types don't have satellite trucks.

Don't tell that to Los Angeles Times!:D

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 09:51 PM
So Cindy McCain was point person of this request for the print media and the US Secret Service?

Why wouldn't you go public back then?:confused:

PoliCon
10-15-2008, 09:54 PM
So Cindy McCain was point person of this request for the print media and the US Secret Service?

Why wouldn't you go public back then?:confused:did you have to go back to the kos for new talking points?

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 09:57 PM
did you have to go back to the kos for new talking points?

Go to the debate thread in this forum for an answer to that question.;)

Nubs
10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Verizon installed free reception inside my factories buildings.. BFD

LogansPapa
10-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Verizon installed free reception inside my factories buildings.. BFD

Nothing Verizon does is for "free.":rolleyes:

Emeraldsun
10-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I am soooooo confused by this thread LMAO!! What is the point of it?? Was there a shortage of cell towers or something when there was a hurricane or other emergency or disaster?????????:confused::confused::confused::co nfused:

Emeraldsun
10-15-2008, 10:53 PM
did you have to go back to the kos for new talking points?

hehehehehehehehehe Good one!;););)

SaintLouieWoman
10-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Doesn't sound quite as bad as Obama donating sizable amounts to Acorn to go steal the election. :rolleyes:

biccat
10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Nice avoiding of my point about Obama doing it, chickenshit.
The difference is Obama wouldn't have donated his land for the company to set up a tower.

He would have donated someone else's land.

LogansPapa
10-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Telecom lobbyists tied to McCain
By Matt Kelley, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential candidate John McCain has condemned the influence of "special interest lobbyists," yet dozens of lobbyists have political and financial ties to his presidential campaign — particularly from telecommunications companies, an industry he helps oversee in the Senate.

Of the 66 current or former lobbyists working for the Arizona senator or raising money for his presidential campaign, 23 have lobbied for telecommunications companies in the past decade, Senate lobbying disclosures show.

McCain has netted about $765,000 in political donations from those telecom lobbyists, their spouses, colleagues at their firms and their telecom clients during the past decade, a USA TODAY analysis of campaign-finance records shows.

It's unclear how much more money those lobbyists have raised for McCain. Eighteen of them are listed by the campaign as "bundlers," which are major fundraisers. McCain doesn't disclose how much each bundler has raised — unlike Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama, who categorize their bundlers by the amount they raise. For example, Clinton's "Hillraisers" have brought in more than $100,000 each.

McCain is a senior member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which oversees the telecom industry and the Federal Communications Commission. He has repeatedly pushed industry-backed legislation since 2000, particularly during a second stint as committee chairman from 2003 through 2005. His efforts to eliminate taxes and regulations on telecommunications services won him praise from industry executives.

People who lobbied for telecom companies on those issues include McCain's campaign manager, his deputy manager, his finance chief, his top unpaid political adviser and his Senate chief of staff. Telecom companies have paid the lobbying firms that employed those top five McCain advisersmore than $4.4 million since 1999, lobbying records show.

McCain "does not do favors for special interests or lobbyists. Period," spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker said in an e-mail. McCain opposed Internet access taxes, she said, as part of his "consistent record of opposing new taxes."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-03-23-mccainlobbyists_N.htm

jinxmchue
10-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Hrm... A company helping provide someone with much needed cellular service vs. 95% of the media being in the Obamessiah's pocket. Yeah, the former is much more serioius.

Teetop
10-16-2008, 03:41 PM
A 15 acre "ranch"? WTF?! That's not a ranch, a ranch is anything over 25,000 acres.

BFD, LP. It was for more people than just the McCain's. :rolleyes:

Rebel Yell
10-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Donated land for cell tower.....recieved free cell tower

or

Got 30 minute prime time infomercial at wholesale price.

Which one actually affects anything?

And for the record LP. Go ahead and call me a fuckin liar then. I understand, not agree with, but understand that these cretens get all kinds of perks on both sides of the isle.

LogansPapa
10-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Got 30 minute prime time infomercial at wholesale price.

With the kind of purchasing power (and options of going exclusively with another network) that allows one to buy 30 minutes in Prime Time on National Television, why wouldn’t Obama (or anyone else that actually had the money to pony up) go for the best price?

Real point is: He’s fucking paying for it.

Oh - and, your guy can't. ;)

Rebel Yell
10-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh - and, your guy can't. ;)

My guy? I don't like McCain. I just don't like Obama more. I thought you were voting for McCain. That makes him just as much your guy as mine.

LogansPapa
10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I thought you were voting for McCain. That makes him just as much your guy as mine.

I am, but I can't vote for Obama until 2012. ;)

Rebel Yell
10-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I am, but I can't vote for Obama until 2012. ;)

So your guy got a free cellphone tower.:p

lacarnut
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
My guy? I don't like McCain. I just don't like Obama more. I thought you were voting for McCain. That makes him just as much your guy as mine.

Maybe LP will be happy, happy when Prez, Obama (if elected) and Arnuld run his business into the ground with an abundance of increased taxes.

LogansPapa
10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe LP will be happy, happy when Prez, Obama (if elected) and Arnuld run his business into the ground with an abundance of increased taxes.

It’s funny you should mention that - because all of the credit unions here in the Golden State are flocking to the Gropenators’s bonds just issued and the majority of them are already sold! Another bullet dodged for another year.

:p

Nubs
10-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Nothing Verizon does is for "free.":rolleyes:

No shit... However my company uses Verizon service. So to purchase their service they agreed to install repeaters with buildings for free so we can acess their net. Buy multiple cell phone plans with no way to acess their network???? Now that makes perfect sense.

MrsSmith
10-16-2008, 06:48 PM
No shit... However my company uses Verizon service. So to purchase their service they agreed to install repeaters with buildings for free so we can acess their net. Buy multiple cell phone plans with no way to acess their network???? Now that makes perfect sense.

As I pointed out before, it's SOP for cell companies to install equipment as needed, the local companies work with all the local hospitals in just this way. LP is just so disappointed that this isn't a story. Poor guy. :(:(

:D

wilbur
10-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Being the telecom's bitch comes with some perks, I guess!

McCain is a senior member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which oversees the telecom industry and the Federal Communications Commission. He has repeatedly pushed industry-backed legislation since 2000, particularly during a second stint as committee chairman from 2003 through 2005. His efforts to eliminate taxes and regulations on telecommunications services won him praise from industry executives.

People who lobbied for telecom companies on those issues include McCain's campaign manager, his deputy manager, his finance chief, his top unpaid political adviser and his Senate chief of staff. Telecom companies have paid the lobbying firms that employed those top five McCain advisersmore than $4.4 million since 1999, lobbying records show.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-03-23-mccainlobbyists_N.htm

Maybe "bitch" isnt the right word... inside man, maybe.

lacarnut
10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
As I pointed out before, it's SOP for cell companies to install equipment as needed, the local companies work with all the local hospitals in just this way. LP is just so disappointed that this isn't a story. Poor guy. :(:(

:D

Impeachment should start immediately.:rolleyes:

LogansPapa
10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Maybe "bitch" isnt the right word... inside man, maybe.

No, "bitch" pretty much covers it. ;)

PoliCon
10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
My guy? I don't like McCain. I just don't like Obama more. I thought you were voting for McCain. That makes him just as much your guy as mine.Is there honestly anyone out there who can get excited about McCain????

Rebel Yell
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Is there honestly anyone out there who can get excited about McCain????

I tried after the Palin pick, but then John spoke.

PoliCon
10-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I tried after the Palin pick, but then John spoke.Palin got EVERYONE excited - left and right - but for different reasons. :)

gskibum
10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
gskibum doesn't read OP at all...

So of all the reasons not to vote for McCain like McCain-Feingold, blowing chunks on gun rights, not allowing drilling in ANWR, and giving amnesty to ILLEGAL aliens, you bother to bring this up as some kind of sound reason to not vote for McCain/Palin??

MrsSmith
10-28-2008, 09:14 PM
gskibum doesn't read OP at all...

So of all the reasons not to vote for McCain like McCain-Feingold, blowing chunks on gun rights, not allowing drilling in ANWR, and giving amnesty to ILLEGAL aliens, you bother to bring this up as some kind of sound reason to not vote for McCain/Palin??
Welcome?

LP is grasping at straws. Desperate people do that, you know.

wilbur
10-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Welcome?

LP is grasping at straws. Desperate people do that, you know.

The significance of the article is that it provides more evidence of McCain's ties to the telecoms... with his voting record, plus his hiring of telecom lobbyists in his campaign, he's in the telecoms pocket... and the cell towers were perks for his dedicated anti-capitalist corporatism.

Of course, its near impossible to find a politician these days who isnt doing the same thing.

MrsSmith
10-28-2008, 09:37 PM
The significance of the article is that it provides more evidence of McCain's ties to the telecoms... with his voting record, plus his hiring of telecom lobbyists in his campaign, he's in the telecoms pocket... and the cell towers were perks for his dedicated anti-capitalist corporatism.

Of course, its near impossible to find a politician these days who isnt doing the same thing.

Unless, of course, you consider the fact that cell phone companies place towers in all kinds of locations...like my hospital. :rolleyes: Ignoring facts is certainly commonplace these days.

wilbur
10-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Unless, of course, you consider the fact that cell phone companies place towers in all kinds of locations...like my hospital. :rolleyes: Ignoring facts is certainly commonplace these days.

Go move to a remote area, with few or no other residences and see how responsive the telecom for that area is to put up a cell tower all just for you.

Now do the same thing, while being employed as a senator making a bid for the presidency, and while having sponsored and/or voted for any pro-telecom bills that pass in front of you and compare the response.... oh yea, and you also promise cabinet positions to prominent telecom insiders AND have them working on your campaign. Something tells me the responses will be a little different... but that's just me.

expat-pattaya
10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
But when the secret service requests cell service in an area to assure good protection for a candidate do you think the telecom company is doing the right thing to respond?

Seems like a tempest in a teapot to me.

MrsSmith
10-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Go move to a remote area, with few or no other residences and see how responsive the telecom for that area is to put up a cell tower all just for you.

Now do the same thing, while being employed as a senator making a bid for the presidency, and while having sponsored and/or voted for any pro-telecom bills that pass in front of you and compare the response.... oh yea, and you also promise cabinet positions to prominent telecom insiders AND have them working on your campaign. Something tells me the responses will be a little different... but that's just me.

If I call my local cell provider and explain that I have reporters from every major network at my house on a routine basis, plus a number of staff members that will be using tons of day-time minutes, they'll do exactly what they did for my hospital and other businesses in the area...make sure they get those minutes. Running minutes through their towers is their income! Just like any other business owner, they'll look at the cost vs minutes and put a tower everywhere that makes a profit. DUH!! :rolleyes:

M21
10-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Good on John and Cindy.

What those companies are doing is just good business sense to support their customers. All those calls routed through those cells aren't free ya know and if it pisses off liberals then it's a win-win situation.

When they win the White House those towers will be permanent.