PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon stricken with Ebola in Sierra Leone arrives in Nebraska

SarasotaRepub
11-15-2014, 10:31 PM
By Faith Karimi (https://twitter.com/faithcnn)and Christabelle Fombu, CNN
updated 5:28 PM EST, Sat November 15, 2014

(CNN) -- A surgeon diagnosed with Ebola in his native Sierra Leone arrived Saturday afternoon in the United States, where he will undergo treatment at The Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.

"I can confirm a patient with the Ebola virus has landed here," hospital spokeswoman Taylor Wilson told CNN.

While Wilson did not identify the patient, the family of Dr. Martin Salia has previously said he is the patient.

Salia, who is a legal permanent resident of the United States, is married to a U.S. citizen, his relatives told CNN Baltimore affiliate WJZ (http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/11/14/wife-and-son-of-md-doctor-with-ebola-praying-for-a-miracle/).

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/15/health/nebraska-ebola-patient/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

How many F'in times are we going to do this before
a disaster happens and this spreads beyond control???

noonwitch
11-17-2014, 10:40 AM
According to the news this morning, this guy is really sick and might die.

The one case that caused the most problems here so far was a guy who came here on a commercial flight, either not realizing he had the disease or hoping he would get here and get treated before he died. The medical people they bring back are brought back with so much care that I don't worry so much about that causing an outbreak here. It's the ones coming here that we don't know are sick that I'm concerned about.

linda22003
11-17-2014, 10:59 AM
He has died.

Dori
11-17-2014, 11:26 AM
He has died.

And he's black. Guess where this is going.

Rockntractor
11-17-2014, 11:29 AM

Beat me to it.

Sent from the barnyard using Tapatalk

Rockntractor
11-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Whitey crackerman invented this disease to Lynch the black man!

Sent from the barnyard using Tapatalk

noonwitch
11-17-2014, 12:18 PM

I wonder if genetics does play a role in who dies from this virus and who is successfully treated-not that it was engineered to kill black people and not white people, just if there is a genetic factor that makes it more deadly to people of African descent. And not just of African descent, but those with no mixed race backround at all (most African Americans have some white blood, whether they want to admit it or not).

Screaming racism would not just be aggravating, it could have a negative impact on research into treatments. It may be that a different type of treatment is needed for one racial group than another.

Dori
11-17-2014, 12:28 PM
I wonder if genetics does play a role in who dies from this virus and who is successfully treated-not that it was engineered to kill black people and not white people, just if there is a genetic factor that makes it more deadly to people of African descent. And not just of African descent, but those with no mixed race backround at all (most African Americans have some white blood, whether they want to admit it or not).

Screaming racism would not just be aggravating, it could have a negative impact on research into treatments. It may be that a different type of treatment is needed for one racial group than another.

I wondered about the genetic thing too. But one of our nurses is black, and she bounced back pretty quick. I think the real success is getting treated as soon as the first symptoms appear. Lot's of fluids, transfusions from someone who survived it, and lots of anti-viral drugs.

It seems this poor doctor was already pretty sick when he got here Sat. He was already suffering from kidney and respiratory failure.

noonwitch
11-17-2014, 02:25 PM
I wondered about the genetic thing too. But one of our nurses is black, and she bounced back pretty quick. I think the real success is getting treated as soon as the first symptoms appear. Lot's of fluids, transfusions from someone who survived it, and lots of anti-viral drugs.

It seems this poor doctor was already pretty sick when he got here Sat. He was already suffering from kidney and respiratory failure.

Yes, one of the nurses who got it is black, but she's a black American. Most black Americans have mixed blood-there aren't that many who are as dark-skinned as black Africans are. I have a couple of friends whose parents are both black, but are lighter-skinned than my friends of Greek or Italian heritage.

I don't know that much about the science behind the treatments for Ebola, but the way it's been presented in the media is that the treatment is based on the blood of those who have survived the disease. Since all but one of the survivors in the US are white (and that one is a pretty light-skinned black woman), maybe that is why their DNA doesn't work on someone who doesn't have any caucasian genes?