PDA

View Full Version : Wilson being courted by journalists for interview (Bad idea #654)

Elspeth
11-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Exclusive: Why TV anchors met secretly with Ferguson officer who shot Michael Brown
http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/23/media/ferguson-officer-wilson-interview/index.html

Practically every journalist covering the death of Michael Brown would like to interview Darren Wilson, the police officer who shot and killed Brown.

In the pursuit of that interview, several high-profile television anchors have secretly met with Wilson, according to sources at several TV networks. All of the meetings were off the record, meaning the anchors could not describe what was said.

These meetings are a normal part of the TV guest booking process, but they're significant in this case because Wilson has not been seen in public since Brown's death in Ferguson, Missouri on August 9.

Among the anchors who have met with Wilson are Matt Lauer of NBC, George Stephanopoulos of ABC, Scott Pelley of CBS, and Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon of CNN.

It is unclear if Wilson, through his representatives, has agreed to be interviewed by any of the journalists.

Shortly after I named the anchors on my CNN media program "Reliable Sources" on Sunday morning, something happened that I was not expecting: Cooper and Lemon confirmed on Twitter that the meetings had taken place.

"For the record, I met briefly with Darren Wilson a few days ago to see if he wanted to do an interview with me. That's standard procedure," Cooper wrote on Twitter. ...

DumbAss Tanker
11-23-2014, 09:12 PM
With Holder just waiting to file Federal charges on him if the grand jury doesn't indict, doing an interview would be a remarkably bad idea normally. There are some possible benefits from it in a strategic sense, but it requires a fairly sophisticated understanding of the potential Federal charges and an iron discipline to keep one's temper no matter how great the baiting, and avoid saying too much.

Elspeth
11-23-2014, 09:20 PM
With Holder just waiting to file Federal charges on him if the grand jury doesn't indict, doing an interview would be a remarkably bad idea normally. There are some possible benefits from it in a strategic sense, but it requires a fairly sophisticated understanding of the potential Federal charges and an iron discipline to keep one's temper no matter how great the baiting, and avoid saying too much.

I just think that there's too much that can go wrong. If I were Wilson, I'd stay quiet.

SVPete
11-23-2014, 10:22 PM
I just think that there's too much that can go wrong. If I were Wilson, I'd stay quiet.

I think he should tell them, "Hell no!" and then clam up. For two reasons:

* Their interview, the staging, and their editing will be highly biased;

* Wilson's whereabouts at a certain time will be known, and I would all but guarantee it would be leaked; thus doing a face-to-face interview would be to put his life in jeopardy.

DumbAss Tanker
11-24-2014, 01:59 AM

Me too. That's what I'd tell him if I was his lawyer, for sure.

noonwitch
11-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Agreed. It will just feed the frenzy.