PDA

View Full Version : Being Carbon Neutral

onlinebiker
12-04-2014, 08:57 AM
I burn wood. That makes my "carbon footprint" (another invented buzzword to get people in a panic) smaller than most people. Wood is also a "renewable resource".

But - I don't do it because of my "environmental consciousness" -

I do it because I live in a drafty old farmhouse - that defines "central heat" - as a bigassed custom built wood stove in the living room. It would simply cost me a fortune to heat with propane.

I did heat - one winter - back in the 80's when the price of propane was much more reasonable - and I went through 3 tanks (500 gallon) during the winter - and froze my
ass off. It set me back a couple thousand dollars.

Last winter was the worst I've seen while living here (SW Michigan) and I went through almost 6 cords of wood. (a cord is a stacked pile, 4 foot x 4 foot x 8 foot). I have not
bought propane in three years. On the coldest days, I run around the house in shorts a t shirt and flip flops.

How many here heat with wood?

SarasotaRepub
12-04-2014, 02:55 PM
My sister in Jersey has a wood stove but it is used
as supplemental heat.

Rockntractor
12-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Wood has been my primary source of heat for almost 30 years and was also the source of heat at home when i was growing up, I have cut wood all my life.

onlinebiker
12-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Wood has been my primary source of heat for almost 30 years and was also the source of heat at home when i was growing up, I have cut wood all my life.

What kind of wood do you have in your area?

We have some of the very best. Shag bark hickory, several different types of locust, oak, elm, ect....

Two years ago I made a huge score - one of the local fir tree farms was expanding their field - and they cut down 1/4 mile x 100 yards of 150 year old osage orange. I'd never seen them with 36 inch PLUS bases. I got 12 cords before they pushed all the rest into a pile and burned it.

It made you want to cry. If they'd gave me 2 years - I could have probably gotten a lifetime supply of wood.

30 million BTU per cord. Amazing stuff - burns hot as hell - even green. (orange is the new green....even "green" it's orange...)

Rockntractor
12-04-2014, 05:49 PM
What kind of wood do you have in your area?

Smooth bark hickory, black jack, post, pin and swamp oak, black cherry, pecan, elm, ash.
Black jack oak burns the hottest.

thundley4
12-04-2014, 06:55 PM
EPA regulations on new wood stoves are driving up prices. Finding used wood stoves is hard, too.

RobJohnson
12-04-2014, 07:28 PM
EPA regulations on new wood stoves are driving up prices. Finding used wood stoves is hard, too.

True.

"Fuel for wood heating is a renewable resource, and under the right circumstances can be local and sustainable," Huggins said.

But pressure from environmental groups has been responsible for many of the EPA rule changes.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.Newsmax.com/US/heat-energy-wood-stoves/2014/02/18/id/553372/#ixzz3KySodt82
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

My dad and I made several wood stoves from oil barrels. I used to paint vehicles in a garage that only used wood heat & I never blew myself up!

I have a long history of using wood for heat, clear back when I was really little and would help my grandparents.

My current home has a double sided fireplace with two dampers. The fire car been seen from the living room or my bedroom. It also has a fan that blows the heat out that would normally exit out the chimney. It can heat my house, but the primary wood source here is mesquite, and it bothers my allergies. It burns hot, but often will get a little smoky.

After fighting two different chain saws to cut wood for the fireplace I gave an entire pile of mesquite logs to a neighbor. Now they are in his back yard and he can get them cut either. I had a pile of well stacked logs, eight foot tall, thirty feet long and 20 feet wide. Now if I want a fire I use commercial logs, old lumber, or whatever I can find. I might add one piece of mesquite which is still easy to obtain as the empty lot next to me is a mesquite forest.

It's 69 degrees outside, and my furnace has not even been kicking on at night. My house normally stays about 62 to 64 at night, perfect for sleeping.

onlinebiker
12-04-2014, 07:49 PM

I heard that on the news today -- EPA regs on woodstoves.... go figure.... Though, I guess some states have been requiring catalytic converters on new wood stoves for some time......

Makes me glad I scored the one I've got. Big, fully firebrick lined - and all 1/4 plate steel. It'll last 3 lifetimes. A buddy of mine built it as a special order for a customer a few years back, and got it returned because it cooked the guy out of his garage..... Just too big..... I got it for 150 bucks.......

I couldn't buy the steel for that anymore....

Wibbins
12-06-2014, 01:27 AM
I heard that on the news today -- EPA regs on woodstoves.... go figure.... Though, I guess some states have been requiring catalytic converters on new wood stoves for some time......

Makes me glad I scored the one I've got. Big, fully firebrick lined - and all 1/4 plate steel. It'll last 3 lifetimes. A buddy of mine built it as a special order for a customer a few years back, and got it returned because it cooked the guy out of his garage..... Just too big..... I got it for 150 bucks.......

I couldn't buy the steel for that anymore....

COuldn't you simply put a catalytic converter from a car on top? I mean all it does is runs CO through some metal that changes it to CO2

RobJohnson
12-06-2014, 04:57 AM
Some states such as CA have no burn days that include the use of wood for heating homes.

JohnnyJeb
12-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Right now, I have 4 or 5 cords of seasoned white oak, red oak and hickory cut, split and stacked. In a pinch I have burned elm, poplar, pecan, walnut, cherry....just name it, I've probably burned it.....even sweet gum and black gum.

But most of the time it has been heating oil in a furnace. Just got a new natural gas furnace installed and hooked up yesterday. We'll see how that works out when bill time rolls around.

I do like a hot spot in the house on those really cold days.

onlinebiker
12-06-2014, 09:48 AM
COuldn't you simply put a catalytic converter from a car on top? I mean all it does is runs CO through some metal that changes it to CO2

Stove pipe is generally 6 inch diameter.

Catalytic converters are about 2 inch diameter.

Stove pipe usually runs about 250 degrees f.

Catalytic converters in excess of 800.

You'd run into a few "technical challenges" trying such a hookup........

Little known fact -- Coal burning stoves are generally exempt for catalytic converter requirements.

I also have a couple tons of coal in reserve - but mostly only use it for melting down lead - when recycling bullets.