PDA

View Full Version : latest movement and thoughts.

Retread
12-23-2014, 11:50 PM
Just picked up CAT after selling WU at a 27% gain over 13 mon.

Still love my AZO @ 2700% and counting. That one is sending the g'son to collitch.

Otherwise just setting on some dividend stuff.

APA is going to be interesting the next year with the oil price what it is. They sold out in the ME to zero in in the US. Now we get to see how their costs look re: shale production.

Retread
01-02-2015, 12:11 AM
If anyone is interested, SWN might be attractive at the current price. Read a little on their optimism and know they got some real good people working there.

If I had some spare change I'd be tracking them real close.

I did put in a buy on UCO today. With the current oil/gold ratio $10 is definitely a good place tp get in. Look at the 52 week range.

SarasotaRepub
01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Still love my AZO @ 2700% and counting. That one is sending the g'son to collitch.

Now THAT was a winna!!! :thumbsup:

Retread
01-02-2015, 03:58 PM

I got in at $22 and change just about when no one could afford to buy new any more so repairs went up and up.

J P Sousa
01-02-2015, 04:11 PM
If anyone is interested, SWN might be attractive at the current price. Read a little on their optimism and know they got some real good people working there.

If I had some spare change I'd be tracking them real close.

I did put in a buy on UCO today. With the current oil/gold ratio $10 is definitely a good place tp get in. Look at the 52 week range.

No dividends ? :biggrin-new:

I sold most of my energy stocks over the last year. The only one I held onto was SDRL because of the dividends. Unfortunately they eliminated the dividends but I'm hoping oil will come back in the next two to three years.

SaintLouieWoman
01-02-2015, 06:21 PM

I sold most of my energy stocks over the last year. The only one I held onto was SDRL because of the dividends. Unfortunately they eliminated the dividends but I'm hoping oil will come back in the next two to three years.

My dad always liked Southern Compan (SO). I inherited 100 shares in 2001. It's gone up 107% and pays 4.25% interest. It's a keeper. I bought a bit more a few months ago and it's already up 4.1%, so not bad counting that dividend. Something else I got was TECO, a good energy stock. I've had it less than a year and it's up 15% and pays 4.27% dividends.

SR says I'm really conservative, tend to go for the dividend stocks. Fired the large company that had my 401 (then transferred to an IRA) in a managed account. It's now in a self-directed IRA. I figured I can do as well as they did. By the time they took out their 1 1/2% cut for managing it, they only did 1 1/2% for me last year, totally not acceptable.

I'm in a learning stage and hope that I don't blow my retirement income, but so far actually doing as well as they did.

J P Sousa
01-02-2015, 08:39 PM
My dad always liked Southern Compan (SO). I inherited 100 shares in 2001. It's gone up 107% and pays 4.25% interest. It's a keeper. I bought a bit more a few months ago and it's already up 4.1%, so not bad counting that dividend. Something else I got was TECO, a good energy stock. I've had it less than a year and it's up 15% and pays 4.27% dividends.

SR says I'm really conservative, tend to go for the dividend stocks. Fired the large company that had my 401 (then transferred to an IRA) in a managed account. It's now in a self-directed IRA. I figured I can do as well as they did. By the time they took out their 1 1/2% cut for managing it, they only did 1 1/2% for me last year, totally not acceptable.

I'm in a learning stage and hope that I don't blow my retirement income, but so far actually doing as well as they did.
I'm in a self directed also.

I became tired of watching my stocks go up and down so I started buying dividend stocks. That way I always had income regardless of how the stock was doing. Unfortunately, most of the electric companies started to reduce their dividends so I sold them. Beside SDRL, I only own AT&T and DOM now.

I'm getting close to the point where I need to start taking Required Minimum Distributions from my IRA so I'm moving most of my money into Mutual Funds.

I originally invested in a number of "promising" new companies (anyone remember PeaPod ?) but now I stick to well established companies and/or mutual funds.

Retread
01-02-2015, 10:15 PM

My "playing" account - i.e. where I do most of my selling and buying doesn't hold any dividend stock. That's all in the other pocket and doesn't get sold unless I see a major pothole in the road ahead (T and MO types).
My energy direction is to stick with the US operating mid to small companies who can make a real jump in the stock with one well or prospect. Usually I know folks who work there and have a feel for their work ethic and sixth sense on finding or their dedication to effectively produce.
As I try my best to take no short term gains I do not consider myself a trader but an investor. That can cause me a problem when I need to take a short term loss with the gain to offset but - you do what ya gotta.

---------------------

My 401 was with Fidelity and when I retired I rolled it over to a self-directed IRA with them. It's all in mutual funds or fixed income stuff. I have access to a no-fee "advisor" who is ready and willing to answer any questions, will point out advantages, histories or help me navigate their research data but will not make a buy or sell in my name or rec any specific investment. To my mind the best of all worlds.
I started RMD's in '12 and so far the IRA has more than made back the withdrawal each year.

Retread
03-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Reasons for the UCO fall:

Crude oilís winning streak came to an end Friday, as the realities of an oversupplied market and stubbornly high U.S. production handed oil its first loss in five trading days.

U.S. benchmark crude fell $2.56 to $48.87 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The loss erased the 4.5 percent gain Thursday,when the price rose after Saudi Arabian airstrikes in Yemen made traders anxious about a key tanker route in the Red Sea.

London-traded Brent crude settled down $2.78 to $56.41 per barrel on the ICE Futures Europe exchange.

SarasotaRepub
03-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Yep. For now...

Retread
04-10-2015, 08:54 PM

Broke $700 a share and 3000% gain today.

:single_eye: