PDA

View Full Version : NBC News Tim Russert Dies of a heart attack

Bubba Dawg
06-13-2008, 03:49 PM
NBC's 'Meet The Press' Host Tim Russert Dead At 58
NEW YORK (CBS) ― Tim Russert, who pointedly but politely questioned hundreds of the powerful and influential as moderator of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday of an apparent heart attack. The network's Washington bureau chief was 58.

In addition to his weekly program, Russert made periodic appearances on the network's other news shows, was moderator for numerous political debates and wrote two best-selling books.

NBC interrupted its regular programming to announce Russert's death, and in the ensuing moments, familiar faces such as Tom Brokaw, Andrea Mitchell and Brian Williams took turns mourning his loss.

Williams called him "aggressively unfancy."

Russert, of Buffalo, N.Y., took the helm of the Sunday news show in December 1991 and turned it into the nation's most widely watched program of its type. His signature trait there was an unrelenting style of questioning that made some politicians reluctant to appear, yet confident that they could claim extra credibility if they survived his grilling intact.

He was also a senior vice president at NBC, and this year, Time Magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

http://cbs4.com/national/tim.russert.dead.2.747824.html

It's on CNN now. I'm looking for a link and will post.

Bubba Dawg
06-13-2008, 03:51 PM
looking for text

http://www.cnn.com/video/live/live.html?stream=stream1

bijou
06-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Link here:

http://cbs4.com/national/tim.russert.dead.2.747824.html

Space Gravy
06-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear that.

Molon Labe
06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Russert was pretty entertaining. Sorry to hear this too.

Bubba Dawg
06-13-2008, 04:01 PM
NBC's Tim Russert Dies at 58
Host of 'Meet the Press

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 13, 2008; 3:46 PM

Tim Russert, the Democratic operative turned NBC commentator who revolutionized Sunday morning television and infused journalism with his passion for politics, died this afternoon.

Russert, 58, suffered a heart attack while working in his office on Washington's Nebraska Avenue. Details were not ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/13/AR2008061302423.html?hpid=topnews

Rebel Yell
06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I really hate to hear that. I didn't watch him much, but enjoyed it when I did. Yeah, he was a lib, but not of the miserable sort. RIP

SaintLouieWoman
06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Just had seen it on the internet. You guys are quick.

Very sorry to hear this. He might have been a Dem, but I think he was more fair than most journalists. And he seemed to be a good person. He will be missed.

It's pretty scary for someone that age to go so suddenly. I guess we never know when HE will call us.

LogansPapa
06-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Bummer. :( Imus is going to be really hurt.:cool:

LibraryLady
06-13-2008, 04:32 PM
I am the same age...

I liked Tim Russert. How tragic for his Dad, Russert wrote the best seller about him and now he faces his first Father's Day weekend without his beloved son. They are saying that his co-workers and staff adored him.

Kimberly
06-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow, how sad. Condolences to his family. He certainly went in the prime of his life, way too young. I thought he was a good journalist. I liked the way he moderated the presidental debates.

lacarnut
06-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Sad to hear on Friday the 13th. I liked him and thought his reporting was fair.

This past Monday after LSU won the super regional baseball playoff, a fan who with his son died of a heart attack in the parking lot. He was in his early 50's .

Gingersnap
06-13-2008, 05:09 PM
I can't say that ever watched the guy but by all accounts he was genuine nice guy. I'll be praying for his family.

linda22003
06-13-2008, 05:14 PM
I seldom missed "Meet the Press". :(

LibraryLady
06-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Someone just put a dry-erase board (his trademark) at NBC with "Tim We Will Miss You" on it.

Election eve won't be the same.

CLibertarian
06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Just had seen it on the internet. You guys are quick.

Very sorry to hear this. He might have been a Dem, but I think he was more fair than most journalists. And he seemed to be a good person. He will be missed.

It's pretty scary for someone that age to go so suddenly. I guess we never know when HE will call us.

I agree. He was probably the fairest of all the Liberal MSM. He would ask tough questions of the Dems as well. He wasn't as likely to softball them like his collegues. It's like he was trying to show that they weren't keeping their promises.

Verbosus
06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I am the same age...

Very, very close to my age as well.
Probably the most open minded Democrat I had ever heard.
RIP Tim. He did his job well, and was a friend to all on both sides.

borg5575
06-13-2008, 05:53 PM
My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Constitutionally Speaking
06-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Absolutely a liberal, just not the crazy kind.

A good man by all accounts, may his family find solace and peace.

Lager
06-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I did enjoy watching him now and then. It doesn't matter that I didn't share the same views as he. I enjoyed seeing his genuine glee for football and his never wavering support for his Buffalo Bills. Plus, he just didn't seem like a mean guy.

If you want to see what subjugating your life to political views does to your soul, wander over to the cesspool and see how they react. And keep in mind that he was closer to a lib than a conservative.

SarasotaRepub
06-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I heard he had died when I was out running to the bank today.
Heartfelt best wishes to his family and friends.

His was the only show I'd watch on Sunday when I got the chance.

RIP Tim.

AmPat
06-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Terrible loss. he was one of a very few that I could stomach listening to.

RIP Tim:(

Eyelids
06-13-2008, 10:31 PM
This is really bumming me out, I had the priveledge to agree with Russert on the issues but the man was ALWAYS open. He had Ron Paul (the anti-democrat) on his show and treated him pretty fairly.

A really great journalist, we'll really feel his absence during this race.

Goldwater
06-14-2008, 05:57 AM
His questioning was good, it was intrusive and got answers. RIP.

hampshirebrit
06-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I watched MTP now and then. I thought he was pretty good. A sad loss.

Interestingly, a lot of the more extreme of the left sites really disliked the guy (Malloy hated him), so he must have been doing it right.

CLibertarian
06-14-2008, 09:40 AM
I saw an interview of Russert. I forget to whom he attributed this point of his style but, he said that a mentor type told him that the best way to do an interview of a politician was to ask questions from the opposing position regardless of your own beliefs. That advice served him well.

DarkHalo
06-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Russert was pretty even handed for a journalist. I wont say that about many. He will be missed.

Odysseus
06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I saw an interview of Russert. I forget to whom he attributed this point of his style but, he said that a mentor type told him that the best way to do an interview of a politician was to ask questions from the opposing position regardless of your own beliefs. That advice served him well.

That definitely came across in his interviews. I knew that he was a liberal, but he didn't seem especially partisan, and he was pretty fair when he interviewed both sides. It's a measure of his integrity that he was so. He will be missed.

noonwitch
06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Meet The Press is on during my church service, so I didn't see that very often. I did enjoy his election coverage, though.

It's sad. His kid seems like a really nice young man, and he just graduated from college. How awful for him to lose his dad right after graduating.

LibraryLady
06-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I watched Luke Russert on The Today Show this morning. I was incredibly impressed. If he was a little older he could sit in his Dad's chair on MTP. He is articulate, poised, very bright and as likable as his Dad.