PDA

View Full Version : Pre-owned Vehicles and other verbal gymnastics

onlinebiker
01-02-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't know about you - but when somebody tries selling me something using tortured English, it makes me a bit disinclined to do any sort of business with them.

Example - Pre-owned Vehicle.

Huh??? Using the prefix "pre" with the word "owned" somehow implies you can own something before it's owned. If you expect me to clarify that for you, I can't.
I could go along with "Previously Owned" vehicle - but I'm not going to try time travel to satisfy the requirements of "Pre-owned".

How about you?

Got an example?

oldcoastie1
01-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't know about you - but when somebody tries selling me something using tortured English, it makes me a bit disinclined to do any sort of business with them.

Example - Pre-owned Vehicle.

Huh??? Using the prefix "pre" with the word "owned" somehow implies you can own something before it's owned. If you expect me to clarify that for you, I can't.
I could go along with "Previously Owned" vehicle - but I'm not going to try time travel to satisfy the requirements of "Pre-owned".

How about you?

Got an example?

Like when our language meant something and wasn't bastardized, just call them used cars or used trucks.

DumbAss Tanker
01-02-2015, 04:18 PM
I always grimace when I hear people say 'Warfighting' instead of 'Combat' or 'Killing,' a military euphemism that became popular with the military pseudo-intellectuals in the 90s. So PC-stupid, make me want to puke (Or vomitproject, to be equally circumloquatious).

onlinebiker
01-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Warfighting?

That's a new one on me, but I'll agree it's a dumbass way of saying "Killing".

And yes -- the "PC" crowd is as full of soft, inexact language that's used to try to make idiots feel better about themselves.

"It's not that your child is stupid - he's just minimally exceptional"..... And they say this shit with a straight face.

Did you ever see the Stallone movie "Demolition Man"????

It makes you want to "Murder/death/kill" somebody....

DumbAss Tanker
01-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Warfighting?
Did you ever see the Stallone movie "Demolition Man"????

Yeah. Its satire is pretty close to falling completely flat, now.

Google 'Warfighting,' you'll find all kinds of stupid buzzword bingo garbage* authored by the Pentapukes, even officers in the field talk that way because that's the crap they're fed from OBC onward.

*A lot of which would actually make sense if it was written in English, instead of the military dialect of bureaucratese.

Dori
01-02-2015, 08:31 PM
The worst one I've seen was this past year on DU.

The feminazis were discussing "stare rape". :confused:

Rockntractor
01-02-2015, 09:48 PM

That is nonconsentual sex on a fire escape.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Retread
01-02-2015, 10:40 PM
The Texas CHL written test indicates the objective is to "stop" an attacker.

In Colo Rob Pincus uses the verbiage "to significantly affect the target's ability to present a lethal threat"

-----

Personally, I'm follically challenged, under-tall and mature.
I resent that last one - Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

on edit: I prefer "Chronologically Advantaged"

Rockntractor
01-02-2015, 10:59 PM
The Texas CHL written test indicates the objective is to "stop" an attacker.

In Colo Rob Pincus uses the verbiage "to significantly affect the target's ability to present a lethal threat"

-----

In oklahoma we call that knocking the shit out of them.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

longview
01-02-2015, 11:19 PM
I'm sick of the PC bull crap.

In my line of work it has become: "Rehoming" a horse. Ha. You are either selling the SOB, or you aren't.

And it used to be, and still is among my friends, "I picked up this horse at "x" auction." Now, for the woosified, it's "I rescued this horse." Oh, BS. You probably paid too much and the auctioneer bought the kill buyer a drink in town after work. lol

Anyone who tries to sell me a horse that needs "rehomed," I tell them they are now responsible for that animal for the rest of its' like. It's some Japanese thing.

SaintLouieWoman
01-03-2015, 01:37 AM
I'm sick of the PC bull crap.

In my line of work it has become: "Rehoming" a horse. Ha. You are either selling the SOB, or you aren't.

And it used to be, and still is among my friends, "I picked up this horse at "x" auction." Now, for the woosified, it's "I rescued this horse." Oh, BS. You probably paid too much and the auctioneer bought the kill buyer a drink in town after work. lol

Anyone who tries to sell me a horse that needs "rehomed," I tell them they are now responsible for that animal for the rest of its' like. It's some Japanese thing.

It's sort of like the people who get upset if you talk about your dog as your pet. It's not PC to be its owner.

When we moved from a home with a fenced yard to a condo/villa, the adoption group lady seemed to be upset. She said that Bella will now be a "leash dog". That must be a no no. Our dogs live a very spoiled little life, don't exactly think that we're not taking care of them when they go on walks at regularly scheduled times.

Dori
01-03-2015, 12:21 PM
When we moved from a home with a fenced yard to a condo/villa, the adoption group lady seemed to be upset. She said that Bella will now be a "leash dog". That must be a no no.

LOL....poor Bella will no longer be "free range". :biggrin-new:

Our big boys have a large fenced yard and want to be in the house underfoot all the time.

NJCardFan
01-03-2015, 12:25 PM
How about "certified" pre-owned? But for verbal gymnastics I can't stand:

Undocumented Worker-For some reason this applies to any and all person of Latino origin(except Spain, Portugal, or Italy :dunno-smiley-emotic) whether they work or not who are here illegally.

Latino-This only applies to people from the Americas. For some reason this doesn't apply to any other Latin based people of European origin. You know, like actual Latin's like Italians.

onlinebiker
01-03-2015, 01:21 PM
There's even some that you may even hold near and dear -- but if you think about it - it's truly a smoke screen....

Such as ---

"Family Values" ---

Now - how could anybody possibly be against "family values"?

I guess it's sort of dependent on which family you're talking about.

The Cleavers, Addams, Manson, or Kennedy. (you'll note I went in order, mild to scariest).

It's not so much as being "against family values" - it's about being against vague buzzwords that are used to sell.

FlaGator
01-03-2015, 01:24 PM
This renaming of conditions has been going on forever. George Carlin pointed out that "Battle Fatigue" in WWI became "Shell Shock" in WWII which became PTSD after Vietnam. His is done under the mistaking belief that you change the name you change perception of the condition. "Manic-Depression" is now "Bipolar Disorder" and "Hyperactivity" is now "Attention Deficit Disorder" . It will never end.

onlinebiker
01-03-2015, 01:37 PM
This renaming of conditions has been going on forever. George Carlin pointed out that "Battle Fatigue" in WWI became "Shell Shock" in WWII which became PTSD after Vietnam. His is done under the mistaking belief that you change the name you change perception of the condition. "Manic-Depression" is now "Bipolar Disorder" and "Hyperactivity" is now "Attention Deficit Disorder" . It will never end.

George Carlin was a genius at language play. While you might not have agreed with much or any of his politics or views on religion -- If he couldn't find something to make you laugh - somebody better check your pulse.....

ralph wiggum
01-03-2015, 02:26 PM
George Carlin was a genius at language play. While you might not have agreed with much or any of his politics or views on religion -- If he couldn't find something to make you laugh - somebody better check your pulse.....
I used to get crap from libs for posting quotes from the late great Mr. Carlin. Yes, he turned a little too bitter & more liberal at the end of his life. But his comedy was absolute genius.

onlinebiker
01-03-2015, 02:29 PM
I used to get crap from libs for posting quotes from the late great Mr. Carlin. Yes, he turned a little too bitter & more liberal at the end of his life. But his comedy was absolute genius.

Liberal - yeah... I'd say he was rather liberal -- but he was spot on about many things..

As far as the "bitter" part - I contend that was always part of the act. His delivery wouldn't have worked as well if he was happy about everything.

ralph wiggum
01-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Liberal - yeah... I'd say he was rather liberal -- but he was spot on about many things..

As far as the "bitter" part - I contend that was always part of the act. His delivery wouldn't have worked as well if he was happy about everything.
One of my favorites was his routine about "destroying the planet" & how ridiculous & arrogant that makes humans sound.

NJCardFan
01-04-2015, 04:28 AM

I saw him live in 2000. I'm a big Carlin fan but he was terrible that night.

NJCardFan
01-04-2015, 04:29 AM
Actually, he was quite libertarian. You should see him tear apart the environmental crowd.

Jim54
01-04-2015, 05:20 AM

Maybe we could invent a new offense. Let's see...How about "Ocular Assault" or "Felony Glaring" and "Aggravated Ocular Assault" using glasses during the commission of the crime. I see income potential here!