PDA

View Full Version : Free online learning apps or websites

MountainMan
01-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Do any of you have any suggestions for learning trading stocks and currency online or with an app?

Retread
01-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Via apps - I have no idea at all. As I said, I am not a trader. You might get SR to talk more about that. but for investing:
Read Scott Burns.
There is a $.99 e-book rec under the economics forum that will tell you a lot about how to use the market data you can find.

Both Merrill and Fidelity have excellent (and free) research abilities and you can play with lots of filters to look at both stocks and funds.

My rec - study your own industry or trade. Look at who does it right and who doesn't. Study management and the time they have been in charge.

If you get into funds, stick with index funds with low fees (< 0.5% is good, < 0.02 is better - look at Vanguard)

Retread
01-02-2015, 11:12 PM
More here (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?62838-Investing-retiring-saving-unrequested-advice&highlight=kindle)

SarasotaRepub
01-03-2015, 12:04 AM
Do any of you have any suggestions for learning trading stocks and currency online or with an app?

SLW and I both are using Merrill Lynch's online trading programs for the PC.
I also have Merrill's app on my iPhone and it works really well.

We have both been learning investing from what we gather on Merrill's
site, it has lots of excellent tools like Retread said.

SLW also looks at a lot of investing newsletters but a lot of them are trying
to sell you something so you have to be careful. I'm sure if you go a Google
search you can come up with plenty but have no experience with online classes.

SaintLouieWoman
01-03-2015, 01:47 AM
Via apps - I have no idea at all. As I said, I am not a trader. You might get SR to talk more about that. but for investing:
Read Scott Burns.
There is a $.99 e-book rec under the economics forum that will tell you a lot about how to use the market data you can find.

Both Merrill and Fidelity have excellent (and free) research abilities and you can play with lots of filters to look at both stocks and funds.

My rec - study your own industry or trade. Look at who does it right and who doesn't. Study management and the time they have been in charge.

If you get into funds, stick with index funds with low fees (< 0.5% is good, < 0.02 is better - look at Vanguard)

I need to get into some funds in my self-directed IRA. I'm coming up with very low percentage increases as most of it is still in cash, which earns nothing. At least it's not losing, which the Merrill VP was doing. I need something safe so can get some return on the cash. I'm slowly buying stock, but need to not take too big of chances with that IRA, which will hopefully have to last a long time.

Any suggestions on funds that earn a decent amount, have low fees and are safe? (if only there is the perfect answer).

One thing I've learned is the big houses like Merrill Lynch are only as good as their representatives. Last year I checked with the people still working at my old company. the company had ML for our 401k. They made an average of 14-23%, depending on which funds they elected. But the local ML guys had good options. I thought it would be easier to have everything consolidated in Sarasota, before we moved. Those folks made 4% in a banner year for stocks. That's when we each yanked what we had in our 401k/IRA's.

Now we're having to learn to do it ourselves. We at least have done better than the "pros", which isn't saying much for them.

Retread
01-03-2015, 11:28 AM
SLW - I repeat - read about Burns 'couch potato' portfolio and pay the 99 cents for Bernstiens ebook. Either of their 2-3 fund base plays are excellent starting points and I am sure ML offers no-fee trades in many of those funds. And you don't have to put everything in, just break it up a bit.
My daughter opened her Wells Fargo investment IRA 4 years ago with the Burns "2 step" and has rebalanced each year when adding her annual contributions. She is doing better than 10% annually.

The Fidelity website offers multi levels of research to anyone without logging in or having a membership. It makes a good second opinion to ML. Believe it or not, Yahoo finance offers some good help as well.