PDA

View Full Version : Gospel performer, songwriter Andrae Crouch dies at 72

SVPete
01-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Gospel performer, songwriter Andrae Crouch dies at 72 (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/01/09/gospel-performer-songwriter-andrae-crouch-dies-at-72/)
Published January 09, 2015
Associated Press

Crouch died Thursday afternoon at Northridge Hospital Medical Center, where he had been admitted Saturday after suffering a heart attack, said his publicist, Brian Mayes.

Crouch and his sister, Sandra Crouch, lived in the Pacoima area of Los Angeles, Mayes said. They were pastors at the New Christ Memorial Church in the Los Angeles suburb of San Fernando.
In a career that spanned more than half a century, Crouch wrote dozens of songs, including gospel favorites such as "The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power," "My Tribute (To God Be the Glory)" and "Soon and Very Soon," which was sung at a public memorial to Jackson.

Since he debuted in 1960, Crouch collected seven Grammys. He also helped pioneer the burgeoning "Jesus Music" movement from the late 1960s and '70s that started the spread of contemporary Christian music.
Crouch worked with many other stars, from Diana Ross to Ringo Starr, and his gospel albums sometimes featured performers from other musical genres. His 18th solo album, "The Journey," released in 2011, featured Chaka Khan, Shelia E., Take 6, Kim Burrell and Marvin Winans.
Andrae' is seeing face to face the Lord he loved and served! Whether it's his pastoral care or the music he never stopped creating, the loss is ours, on this side of eternity. His talent all but literally brought him before kings (Proverbs 22:29), and brought the Gospel to places very very few Christians can reach, except in prayer. Andrae' was one of the giants on whose shoulders many modern Christian musicians stand!

Andrae's music was one thing that really inspired me - and still does - when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I was able to go to a couple of his concerts when I lived in Phoenix, and they were like worship services (well, not liturgical services, but ...)!

NJCardFan
01-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Andre was one of the greats. I liked him, Mahalia Jackson, and even Elvis when it came to good gospel music.

SVPete
01-31-2015, 06:06 PM
Stevie Wonder's eulogy at Andrať Crouch's funeral upsets some (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/01/29/stevie-wonder-statements-at-andrae-crouch-funeral-upsets-attendees/)
foxnews.com/entertainment
2015/01/29

Stevie Wonder was one of many high-profile performers at gospel legend Andrať Crouch's funeral in Los Angeles on Jan 21. But some funeral attendees were surprised when Wonder made political statements at the event instead of focusing on the Grammy-winning singer's life and accomplishments.
Wonder's remarks from the event can be heard in the video below around the 1:20 mark. There, Wonder, 64, says: "We live in a time where I believe we have a president that truly wanted to see the world come together, to see this nation come together, but yet too much, too many people are judging their dislike of him based on the color of his skin. And I know there are some who say, 'No thatís not true,' but Iím telling you what I see."
A source at the funeral told FOX411: "Andrať was not about color or politics. He was about his faith and reached out to everyone. In a time where racial tension has escalated, the inclusive spirit and heart of Andrať was a healing balm."
I'm still upset by what Stevie Wonder did! Not only is "what (he) see(s)" (his choice of words!) false, Wonder's words were a rejection and a dishonoring of much that Andrae' Crouch sang, said, and did! And it was a resounding SLAP! in the face to millions of Andrae's fans: it wasn't just race-sensitive blacks who bought those millions of albums over the past 4 1/2 decades; who published Andrae's music in sheet music, songbooks, and hymnals; who bought and sang what was published; who flocked to his concerts; who prayed for him and supported him through some tough times! Andrae's ministry transcended ethnic origins, as did the response to his ministry!

I only hope Stevie Wonder was ignorant of the ways and degree to which his remarks - inappropriate at any funeral - dishonored the life of the man the funeral was supposed to be remembering and honoring.

noonwitch
02-04-2015, 03:24 PM
He wrote some beautiful music.

In one of the tributes I saw, they said that he wrote the song "God is Trying to Tell You Something" from the movie The Color Purple. I always figured that Quincy Jones wrote it. It is an awesome song-traditional gospel, and it was well-used in that movie to highlight scenes of transformation of the human heart, something Spielberg is the master of in film. It's one of the few movie endings that brings happy tears to my eyes.

One song touches millions through a movie. I think about all the songs he wrote in his life and all the lives that were touched by his music and am amazed.

SVPete
02-04-2015, 07:19 PM
He wrote some beautiful music.

In one of the tributes I saw, they said that he wrote the song "God is Trying to Tell You Something" from the movie The Color Purple. I always figured that Quincy Jones wrote it. It is an awesome song-traditional gospel, and it was well-used in that movie to highlight scenes of transformation of the human heart, something Spielberg is the master of in film. It's one of the few movie endings that brings happy tears to my eyes.

One song touches millions through a movie. I think about all the songs he wrote in his life and all the lives that were touched by his music and am amazed.

Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andra%C3%A9_Crouch)

Andrať Edward Crouch (July 1, 1942 Ė January 8, 2015) was an American gospel singer, songwriter, arranger, record producer and pastor. Referred to as "the father of modern gospel music" by contemporary Christian and gospel music professionals, Crouch was known for his compositions "The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power", "My Tribute (To God Be the Glory)" and "Soon and Very Soon". In secular music, he was known for his collaborative work during the 1980s with Stevie Wonder, Elton John and Quincy Jones as well as conducting choirs that sang on the Michael Jackson hit "Man in the Mirror" and Madonna's "Like a Prayer". Crouch was noted for his talent of incorporating contemporary secular music styles into the gospel music he grew up with. His efforts in this area were what helped in paving the way for early American contemporary Christian music during the 1960s and 1970s.

Crouch's original music arrangements were heard in the films The Color Purple and Disney's The Lion King, as well as the NBC television series Amen. Awards received by him include seven Grammy Awards, being inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 1998, and receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2004.

There's a (partial?) discography and summary of mileposts in his musical career at the bottom of the article. Not only did he release 6 albums in the last 20 years of his life, but he also pastored a church in the LA area alongside his twin sister Sandra. "Take Me Back" and "This is Another Day" were amazing albums!

SVPete
02-04-2015, 07:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0I9iEUfRvI

SVPete
02-04-2015, 07:21 PM
From "This Is Another Day":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmGiu9JfbIs

Lanie
02-04-2015, 08:58 PM
May he rest in peace.

longview
02-04-2015, 11:03 PM
He'll be missed. Enjoyed much of his music. My sympathy to his family.