PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Prisons forced (by lawsuit) to integrate HIV positive inmates with all others

Elspeth
01-12-2015, 03:18 AM
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/01/aclu_pockets_hefty_award_in_alabama_prison_case.ht ml

...In December 2012, U.S. District Judge Myron H. Thompson issued a 152-page ruling against Alabama’s Department of Corrections, ordering it to integrate HIV-positive inmates with other inmates. Separating the inmates, the judge said, violated the federal Americans with Disabilities Act.

...The opinion, which plays down the prevalence of prison rape, dismisses the idea that lifting the policy would increase the risk of spreading HIV.

Parts of the opinion read like drafts from a Marxist professor’s lecture to a college LGBT Studies class. Judge Thompson blamed the prison policy on animus toward homosexuals, minorities, and the poor:

“First, HIV is most frequently found among historically marginalized populations: particularly, gay men. Prejudice against homosexuals intensifies prejudice against HIV, and prejudice against HIV becomes a proxy for prejudice against members of the gay community.

“Because HIV is also more common among minorities and the poor, the stigma attached to HIV deeply implicates race and class prejudice, as well as homophobia.”

Merely connecting the dots from high-risk behavior to incidence of infections is enough to get your character assailed in Judge Thompson’s court....

onlinebiker
01-12-2015, 07:45 AM
It probably won't do the HIV carriers any good either...............

I'd imagine more than a few of them will get shanked, just because they have HIV.....

Probably not real logical - but you're not talking about a bunch of MENSA candidates. Murderers and the like more often than not have whack-a-doodle motivations...

noonwitch
01-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I don't know how much isolating people with HIV/AIDS in prison does to protect the rest of the inmates. Most inmates probably lived pretty high-risk lifestyles before going to prison. It only takes one violent rapist who tests negative at intake, but is infected yet, to spread it fast in genpop.

It's probably a better policy to segregate the sex offenders in general from the rest of the prison population.

NJCardFan
01-12-2015, 11:02 AM
The prison system I work has been doing this forever. I work in the prison infirmary and thanks to HIPAA I'm not allowed to know who has what.

jediab
01-13-2015, 04:21 PM
If someone gets raped by an HIV inmate and then gets the disease from the rape, how long until the newly infected person sues the prison?

noonwitch
01-13-2015, 04:31 PM
If someone gets raped by an HIV inmate and then gets the disease from the rape, how long until the newly infected person sues the prison?

As soon as he contacts a lawyer.